Quote Originally Posted by freedomgli View Post
Andy, I'm not seeing the issue you allude to. At first glance, it appears to have all the right parts. But I'm no expert. Care to enlighten us?

Is it missing a serialized data plate on the door by the side view mirror?
Well, that entire passenger door is wrong. The (dented) mirror was fitted to to the stock location, and no evidence of the more forward passenger side mirror (the reason there is a numbered plate on the doors of the M2 cars is to cover up the standard mirror location. This particular 1001 came with Dunlop track tyres, and evidence of overspray everywhere. It had been in a smash and the door replaced. The smash seems to have been bad enough to crack the frame of the bucket seat.

In Japan, the M2s seem to be a mix of barely driven garage queens and cars that have been raked around a track all their lives.

My old M2-1002 now lives in Italy, alongside the other ex-UK M2-1001 and the only roadworthy ex-UK M2-1001.....

Unfortunately, I have a sneaking suspicion who ended up with the dog of a 1001. He's not a person well respected in the MX5 community....