Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ever think about selling your Miata?

Drives
    1993-LE Miata
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,087 Times in 523 Posts

No. Never. Ever.

NO. NEVER. EVER. But, I tend to buy more Miatas rather than sell them.

That being said, I do sometimes get tired of fixing this or that or tinkering, but I always come back around. My Miatas have always been daily drivers until I started having more than one - then I daily drive only one of them.

Don't get me wrong, I like other cars and Rovers (which I will buying another soon), but I can't find anything I MUST have. The Audi R8 is about the only car I would consider, but I am loathed to spend the money.

I have been looking around at purchasing some older sports cars that I couldn't afford when I was younger, but I would always keep at least one Miata around.
    Last edited by Hammerhead; 07-11-2014 at 02:44 PM. Reason: Edited for clarity

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power Rogue's Avatar
    Drives
    93LE #737, 93LE #783, 92BnT, 95M, 90A and now a 97PEP
    Thanks Given
    After driving my 93LE for 12 years I got a bit tired of it, so I picked up a nice 95M project.
    That way I can build it and not have to daily drive it.
    I don't know how y'all do that.
    I also don't stockpile parts (like some )…..I only buy parts going on my car.
    I went in with a vision and pretty well sticking to it.

Not being a bike person, I also have a Hot Rod.
    So that takes some energy too.
    1992 BnT, 93LE #737, 94M, 95M, 96M, 97PEP, and a few 90s

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power BlitzWing's Avatar
    Drives
    94 RS-Ltd
    Thanks Given
    I'm beginning to think mine being a daily it taking the fun out of it. I cant really have my car off the road for more then a weekend so anything big requires a stupid level of planning as I cant just leave things standing and I cant have any mistakes.

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts
    I put mine up for sale, shot high on the price and I was surprised how many bit on the price. I declined, then offered it to a very close friend and he bought it. It's great peace of mind because he loves the hell out it and I still get to see it and drive it from time to time, but it's hard on me. I miss it, but have grown to love the e30 that replaced it. My buddy wants to sell it back to me when he moves cross-country in about 18 mos. I can either buy it or straight-trade for my e30.

Still, it has been nice to take a step back from the Miata for a while, let it be used by a true enthusiast who really enjoys it for what it is. The 'time off' has allowed me to reset my automotive priorities. It's nice to get groceries and not worry about fitting it all in the e30 like I did in the Miata. The e30 is nicer on longer drives, too, but nowhere near as much fun on the track or back roads.

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift theothersawyer's Avatar
    Drives
    1994 Classic Red
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,498 Times in 734 Posts
    I lust over your old car at every JZilla trackday! Such a nice car!

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! The Driver's Avatar
    Drives
    1996 Montego Blue Leather Package + 5 Speed = Torsen II
    Thanks Given
    No, NEVER. Then again, I do a good job of not OVERSPENDING on it, so that I don't lose my shirt over it either. For a while I thought that I was going to compliment the NA with a BOSS 302 Mustang, but that NC3 Club with a "Blacktone" turbo kit, may scratch the itch!

BTW, ever since college, I've owned two cars at once. Here in the North Pole by the Rockies, having a Miata for a daily driver is almost suicidal. For snow duty, I have an Extra Cab 2002 Tacoma 4WD TRD.
    96 Montego, replacing a 95M... I miss: My running peeps in Tampa, running barefoot @ Clearwater Beach and First Choice BBQ, in Brandon. In So Cal I miss: The Malibu Canyons, CA 33 and In & Out Burgers ! I'm from Tampa, if I was from Tampa Bay, I'd be a fish!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to The Driver For This Useful Post:

Phatmiata (07-12-2014)

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone Cxmoney's Avatar
    Drives
    A White Miata
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by RuckkehrMiata View Post
    Wait and get an ND
    That would be awesome, however I don't really want to buy anything BRAND new. The most expensive vehicle I have bought was my wife's 2013 focus for $17,000. It was new with 6k miles, but not BRAND new. Brand new vehicles are just so expensive. I personally like to keep it under the 10k range, unless I find something I REALLY like, then ill probably spend up to 15k. Only reason I spent so much on my wife's car was because everything she's had has been crappy. Something was always wrong and she doesn't know anything about cars. So with me going on deployments, I figured it would be best for her to have something relatively new that we don't have to worry about for a few years.

But TL;DR - A ND would be around the 25k range I am guessing. I would rather spend $15k or less on a NC with under 50k miles since I will be modifying it anyways.
    Quote Originally Posted by tsingson View Post
    The red is sexy as hell. Would hate to be walking around the car admiring the interior only to see a tan dash. Kinda like seeing a hot chick and finding a dick in the middle.

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! titch's Avatar
    Drives
    '97 BRG.
    Thanks Given
    I'd built my old MX5 to a standard where all I needed to do was boost it and then abuse more tracks, but I kept having urges to sell to buy a Honda (don't ask), I ended up swapping it for one, and although it had its problems, it was a great setup car, but i instantly regretted getting rid of the MX5. Offered the guy a swap back, and in the end broke the Honda for parts a little over 6 month after buying it.

So in answer to the OP, no, my current one will stay with me for a while yet.

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! Golden Stallion's Avatar
    Drives
    2008 RX-8
    Thanks Given
    As I have only had a miata in my life since January, i cant say i have gone to the extreme of even thinking of selling but i can say that, as a daily driver, you tend to forget about how awesome they are. when I finally fixed my buick century, i was leaving tire squeals everywhere for the first couple of days because i had to re-train myself how to drive normal cars that can't take corners like a champ. I went to the beach with family without my car for a week and when i came back, It didn't feel familiar but it felt great. Just another thing of you don't know what you have till its gone. I like how revlimiter has done it, sharka is his project with all his money and time goes but then he has bucky, which is mostly stock, as his trusty DD.

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift I<3flippyheadlights's Avatar
    Drives
    1990 Spirited Green Miata!
    Thanks Given
    I have thought about it and then realize that no one would buy my crap. Its too far gone for someone to buy. I would have to part it all out, figure out how to explain the green/red thing, etc. After thinking of all the work, I get on with it, and keep the Miata.

Now if I get a great job, I'll pick up another project car.
    1990 Miata, she was red but now she is Spirit Green!

http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....d-a-love-story <--- build thread!

Also check out the facebook page http://www.facebook.com/IHeartFlippyHeadlights !!! Its a facebook page dedicated to the awesomeness which is flippyheadlights! Not me, but the actual headlights! High time someone noticed how awesome these things are; check it out!

Drives
    93 LE
    Thanks Given
    Cxmoney, you also have the burden of having a nearly iconic status car - an award winner, immortalized in the annual RevLimiter calendar (I've been enjoying looking at it this month), etc. It's not easy to let a car like that go and not regret it. Please don't let it become another Blue Potato! Consider moving the car into non-daily driver status if you can swing it and I think you will be happy in the future that you did.

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! Golden Stallion's Avatar
    Drives
    2008 RX-8
    Thanks Given
    ^ yes. Sucks what happened to the blue potato. Like people have said, get another dd(doesn't have to be great) and you will appreciate what you have more than now. If you have your car where you want it, just enjoy it and worry about the tiny details

Drives
    1994 LB / 2014 MX5CE / 91 SD Italia
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,712 Times in 1,646 Posts
    I buy and sell Miata's all the time, I have three to sell now.................never gets boring

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone ScratchNSniff's Avatar
    Drives
    Miata, Pilot, Civics...
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by atank View Post
    I buy and sell Miata's all the time, I have three to sell now.................never gets boring
    Exactly how I keep entertained...worst thing I ever did was become connected to a car...because when something bad happens to it, then it absolutely SUCKS!!!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to ScratchNSniff For This Useful Post:

atank (07-11-2014)

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts
    The Miata, yes?

Yancey loves that car, Joel is taking cues from it and has set his up very similar.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast