Thread: Fender frame dent

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! Slipstreem's Avatar
    Drives
    Touka (1993)
    Thanks Given

Fender frame dent

I tried the search feature and saw nothing. Then looked through forum sections that may have this topic and still saw nothing. So if there is already a thread about this then I apologize.

So the po told me that a truck backed into the front passenger side creating this huge dent. Yesterday I scored a fender at my junkyard and went to work. When I finally pulled the old dented fender off I was greeted with a dent on the fender frame (is that the correct term?). It's not that bad to my judgment but at the same time I don't want to install my "new" fender until it's fixed. So my question is can I hammer the hell out of it or is this something a body shop should look at? To answer some questions before they are asked.
    1)Yes it pulls slightly to the right but not because of the damage. The strut, control arm, etc are fine. It pulls because it needs alignment and Vegas roads suck.
    2)The headlight still works. Up and down. On and off. But it will only go up and down if I take the plastic bezel off and have the hood open.
    Not sure of any possible questions. Have a look at the pictures and tell me what you think.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts
    You can beat it back, if you're ok with that.

If the left front fender is good and aligned well, remove it so you can visually see and take measurements to match the right side. Sometimes you may need linear force to help pull some crumpled metal, so use strong ratcheting tiedowns, a come along, etc and work slowly. Whatever areas are hammered or lost paint, recover with some primer and paint.

As for the alignment, Seeing where the truck hit the car, it may have stripped the tierod end a little, worst case, bent control arm.
    Last edited by kung fu jesus; 08-16-2014 at 09:14 AM.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kung fu jesus For This Useful Post:

atank (08-21-2014),WASABI (08-21-2014)

Drives
    Touka (1993)
    Thanks Given
    Thanks for the reply. I'm happy to hear that this can be done myself. I'm tapped for cash lol. I didn't see any damage to the control arm but maybe I missed something. When up close it looks like all the damage was taken up top (fender area) while all the bottom (suspension goodies) seem untouched. When I get a chance to work on it again I'll take a closer look.

Drives
    Touka (1993)
    Thanks Given
    Well I finally got the time to work on my Miata.
    Before:
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    After:
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    With the "new" fender from the junkyard:
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Now it's not the most perfect of jobs. There's still a little left such as the front bumper but, since my dad and I did this on our own in the parking lot of my apartment complex I have to say I'm very happy with the results.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Slipstreem For This Useful Post:

kung fu jesus (08-21-2014)

Drives
    1994 LB / 2014 MX5CE / 91 SD Italia
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,712 Times in 1,646 Posts
    I think you & your dad did a very good job....!

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! WASABI's Avatar
    Drives
    1991 British Racing Green
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,464 Times in 795 Posts
    Slipstreem that looks really good! As KFJesus said, make sure you check both sides against each other, not only from the top, but also the mounting points and supports (there are a couple small bar supports that keep the bumper straight). Get under there and look!!!! And, double check the suspension parts. Keep up the good work!

Drives
    Touka (1993)
    Thanks Given
    Thanks! Surprisingly it didn't take much to re work the metal. Just used a 4 ton bottle jack with a block of wood and a 4lb hammer.