Thread: RoadsterTech Window Guides

Drives
    1991 BRG
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,435 Times in 1,506 Posts

RoadsterTech Window Guides

First things first, there is an official installation guide located here, but I think it would be beneficial to have a searchable/simplified forum guide.
    These fixed my slow rolling windows. I used to just open my door because it was easier than waiting for the window to roll down, seriously. Now they run from top to the very bottom without a hiccup, at the speed they should be moving.

Tools needed:
    #1 Phillips
    #2 Phillips
    10mm socket
    14mm socket
    T30 Torx bit
    Gloves

I acquired these second-hand, but untouched it seems. One order includes: two guides (one for each side of the car), grease and some sand paper than I didn't end up using.

This is how my door panel looks, yours may vary.

Start off by removing the door cup with a #1 phillips. To slide the cup around the handle you'll probably need to lock the lock and pull the handle 'open.'

I used a #2 phillips to remove the 3 screws holding my armrest in place. This is how your door should look now.

Pry up on the christmas tree clips holding the speaker grille, if you have those, then the door panel all around the bottom and sides. Once you think you've got them all, the door panel should freely slide up and out.

Here you can see the 3 screw you'll need to remove on your handle, I used a #1 phillips.

Pull the plastic sheet all the way off your door, using gloves. This black goop won't come off your skin for 2 days, but it doesn't stick to gloves at all!

Remove the two window stoppers at the top of your door, using a 10mm socket. Take note of where these are positioned, the holes are slotted!

Roll your windows ~1/2 way down, you want to be able to access these 3 bolts/screws, which hold the window in place. I used a 10mm socket again.

After that you should be able to pull your window up and out, I set mine in the trunk.

Comparing the RoadsterTech window guies and OEM ones, it seems they're a bit smaller.

Use your T30 bit to remove the old guide and bolt down the new one, then slather it with the included grease.

Head back to your door and find the center window rail, it can be removed by two 14mm bolts at the top of the door and two 14mm bolts at the bottom of the door (facing the ground).

After very carefully unclipping the cables that run from the rail to your window motor (or crank), carefully slide it out and let it hang.

Here you can scrape off old grease and lay down new stuff. A lot of the areas I saw were dry, you've got a lot of grease, so use all that you need, for one side anyway, don't forget you still need to do both windows. Check the other rails and do the same if you'd like. One of the major problems with my windows sliding slow at the bottom of the door was a massive amount of grease just piled at the bottom of one of the rails, thanks Mazda. I cleared it all out and laid down a mild amount of new grease.

Reassemble everything in reverse order and start on your other door. Should only take 2-3 hours total. Then go for a drive, because, I always go for a drive after I finish working on my car.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to fwdtamiya For This Useful Post:

Dandy (12-11-2014),Martin (12-11-2014),Phatmiata (12-11-2014),Tkblazer (12-11-2014)

Admin / Pit Boss / Miataholic Phatmiata's Avatar
    Drives
    Kirin the '93LE Roadster #1073
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,521 Times in 4,642 Posts
    most excellent write up sir! Bravo!!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Phatmiata For This Useful Post:

fwdtamiya (12-11-2014)