Thread: Life in the slow lane or: How I learned to stop worrying and love the trip

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Admin / Pit Boss / Miataholic Phatmiata's Avatar
    Drives
    Kirin the '93LE Roadster #1073
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,521 Times in 4,642 Posts
    Always liked these buses. Many good times had in high school with my buddy's bus that we got into trouble with. Also I have like 100 different 1/64 scale versions lol. Such a cool vehicle, digging all the progress.

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! MiataQuest's Avatar
    Drives
    faster now with the Ecotec 2.4 (1992 white NA)
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,024 Times in 443 Posts
    Here is what I would recommend for the oil cooler.

Try to find a someone that has parts for a dual port Super Beetle engine.
    These engines had the oil cooler moved back behind the fan shroud to allow better cooling to cylinders #3 & #4.
    (The oil cooler you have now restricts the flow of air to #3 & #4 cylinders and also heats the air)
    After the air passed through the Super Beetle oil cooler it is directed out the rear of the engine shrouding.
    At the same time the Super Beetle oil cooler has better construction and has a larger cooling surface. These rarely leaked.

If you see the dual port Super Beetle engine all together you will understand. Look behind the fan housing to see the extra ducting.

So you will need the following parts to do the conversion:
    * Super Beetle fan shroud and generator fan assembly
    * Oil cooler and adapter off the dual port Super Beetle
    * Rear sheet metal shroud off the dual port Super Beetle
    * Oil cooler adapter seals to install at the engine case. (To go from small oil holes to large oil holes) This is usually aftermarket but I also believe there is a VW part number available for this seal.

I would run Mobil-1 15W-50 in the summer.

In the 70's I had a VW repair shop. We did this modification for type II customers on a regular basis when we did an engine rebuild. It really helped the engines live during freeway driving.

Side note: That oil puddle looks like it is aligned with the center of the engine. You may want to run the engine and see if it is coming from the rear main seal.
    Last edited by MiataQuest; 04-12-2016 at 10:29 PM.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MiataQuest For This Useful Post:

Phatmiata (04-13-2016),tsingson (05-23-2016)