Thread: DIY yellow-tinted fog lights

Individual-1 ☚ ☻ ☛ Agent☣Orange's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,321 Times in 2,545 Posts

DIY yellow-tinted fog lights

This is a fun project to tint a Miata's fog lights using yellow vinyl.

Notwithstanding my name here, yellow is pretty cool color that accents all Miatas as well as having some practicality. Let's face it, the anemic Miata fog lights, well I guess they're technically "driving" lights, offer no real functionality for actual driving. IMO, they're better used as fog lights which are meant to be seen as opposed to helping you see the road better.

Despite the rage for white/bluish LEDs, the truth has always been that yellow pierces fog, rain and darkness better than any other Kelvin color. It's why some European cars even have yellow headlights besides yellow fog lights.

I know there are lots of options here from installing 2500K LED or HID (yellowish colored bulbs without touching the lens), go super bright, pure white HID fogs which still suck for visibility and so on. This project is simply about modifying the stock lens with a little effort and laughingly cheap yellow vinyl for not only a great look but effective presence.

Here is the basic kit: a $7-dollar roll of yellow vinyl film from Amazon.com, cool JDM sticker included and your fog light. It's a little deceiving since this is a rather sophisticated sandwich of optically clear, yellow film; a peel-off under layer and an abuse-resistant top layer so there's a little more to it than the photo shows.

No, you don't have to remove your fog lights like I did here because I was doing a remote radar-detector install so it was just a matter of "since I was already there," I decided to just yank mine from the Civic. You should have or buy a 99-cent spray bottle from Walmart along with a gallon of pure water of which 99.9% gets leftover but just try buying an ounce of good water.

Somewhere in your house, you'll have a glass or object that approximates the diameter of your fog light. It's preferable that it's bigger than your light because you can trim it later plus, you're going to get finger prints on the edge which is the only place you can do that or else you'll be replacing the entire piece.

Once you have a general idea of what you'll need, go ahead and use your precision instruments and cut the shape remembering that you'll need a bigger piece than your lens so don't worry. Here, I'm using my Harbor Freight surgical tool and a disposable paper plate to cut my mold. Cut a couple of spares while you're at it in case you screw up later. This stuff is inexpensive:

*Note: you can layer this vinyl for a deeper yellow appearance at the cost of lumens. You can also chose amber instead of yellow. The process is the same but duplicated. Here is an overlap showing doubled and tertiary layers of yellow:

You must prepare your lenses obviously, mostly to get rid of grease or anything that might affect the vinyl's adhesion. Get all the bug guts, road tar and any other imperfections off. If your glass is glazed with 20 years of pitting, you may consider the 3M headlight kit with involves using your drill and a buffing pad to sand down the surface however, the difference between fog lights and headlights is that you do not need perfect clarity with the fogs since you're just adjusting for surface adhesion of a film, not for optical clarity. A little pitting is okay since the film can be melted into place anyway.

Remember what I said about cutting bigger than you need? Well here's why. You need to get your fingers in there to separate the base layer away as you're laying down the vinyl. Peel back the protective layer a millimeter at a time while you rub out air bubbles. Not shown in the photo is that you'll have already sprayed pure water on the lens. (Hey, it's hard to hold vinyl film, a water bottle and a camera at the same time!). The water is necessary to lubricate the surface of the lens long enough to place the vinyl and peeling it back a couple times to reset. Pure or distilled water is better than tap water to avoid calcium or mineral spots. Hell, use Perrier if you want.

Now, there are simple shapes which are completely flat and complex shapes which are curved. Vinyl does not like to easily lay into complex shapes but don't worry. Get your heat gun or hair dryer and mold the edges as best you can. You might need to use some force from a dull object like a big, pink pencil eraser or similar just as long as it's not your finger nail.

If a complex shape, you're going to end up with hard ridges that you can't get rid of. Don't worry here either as you're going to cut them out. See the ridges on the edges?

Now go along with your blade and eliminate most of it. I say most of it because lo and behold, there's a top protective layer that doesn't like curves either but you can abuse it with heat and molding to get things right without disturbing the actual colored layer:

Keep cutting until the ridges are gone:

And then voila! After all your self doubt, you end up with a perfect tint on your very first try! (and I'm stupid clumsy BTW) Congratulations, you did it! Yeah, it's a '16 Civic but don't give me #%$&! Same principle.

No todo que es oro brilla.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Agent☣Orange For This Useful Post:

90blue (05-06-2016),Demon I Am (05-07-2016),Fishbulb (05-06-2016),Hammerhead (05-06-2016),NCGreasemonkey (05-06-2016),tsingson (05-06-2016),vote4pedro (05-07-2016)

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift NCGreasemonkey's Avatar
    Drives
    '95 NA NA8 w/small tweeks
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,455 Times in 859 Posts
    Nice add for the new CVCC.
    ... Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post
    ...and don't be like an NCGreasemonkey.
    For the thread on Noir click below
    http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....e-light-Slowly

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NCGreasemonkey For This Useful Post:

Agent☣Orange (05-06-2016),tsingson (05-06-2016)

Drives
    99 Silver NB
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,066 Times in 1,332 Posts
    I just replaced the bulbs in housing. But always loved the look of a yellow lens. Great Job AO!

Thanks Given
    Thanks! I ordered a set of 55W, 2500K HIDs for my other car's fogs but I already know they're going to be annoying as hell to oncoming traffic so I wanted to take it easy here with the Civic. Gotta admit, it's better to be conservative rather than cutting edge in this case.

A lot of the guys on the Civic forum are going pure, hatred-inducing, purple HIDs but I just want a powerful yet non-offensive yellow glow. Thirty-years difference I guess.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Agent☣Orange For This Useful Post:

NCGreasemonkey (05-06-2016),tsingson (05-06-2016)

Drives
    99 Silver NB
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,066 Times in 1,332 Posts
    I went yellow bulbs on the Expedition as well. Definitely helps in the rain.

Thanks Given
    I did this on my Mountaineer a decade ago and loved the results. Yellow fog lights really were handy traversing the Cascades on my way back and forth from Seattle. The snow drift was so bad that it was better to cut all lights or else the headlights would just illuminate the hypnotizing snowfall.

We were always in a quandary, opting to stay legal or just shutting everything off and being safer driving through snowy conditions with just parking lights on or blinding headlights.

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by AgentOrange View Post
    Thanks! I ordered a set of 55W, 2500K HIDs for my other car's fogs but I already know they're going to be annoying as hell to oncoming traffic so I wanted to take it easy here with the Civic. Gotta admit, it's better to be conservative rather than cutting edge in this case.

A lot of the guys on the Civic forum are going pure, hatred-inducing, purple HIDs but I just want a powerful yet non-offensive yellow glow. Thirty-years difference I guess.
    Those that don't understand just do what the herd does. You and I are old enough to understand that fog is a low cloud and it can only get so low. Throw more light at it blinds you as much as on-coming drivers. The right tint to not refract back into your eyes and at the right height works wonders.

And you know me. I have to add a bitch session. These turn as you turn projector headlights are stupid.If the <insert your preferred explicit descriptive word of the day here> is talking on the phone, across the center-line with both left tires and diddling their privates to a creamy froth why should I be the one that cannot see to avoid them? My lights are ahead and I'm in my lane. Why are they in my lane and their lights melting my retinas?

Hand shaking at 'Palooza AO?
    Rick
    ... Rick

11. The Following User Says Thank You to NCGreasemonkey For This Useful Post:

Agent☣Orange (05-07-2016)

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Just takes me time to unwind after fixing mistakes on cars that are to smart for themselves. I'm old and wanting the days of paper match point sets and where you could actually tune a car.

But that is taking your thread off-topic. And I don't want to hijack the one that I had a great intro into this forum with. Hope to shake hands with you at 'Palooza, if not sooner.
    ... Rick

Thanks Given
    Don't you worry my antique friend. Although I'm currently listening to a remake of "Nothing Else Matters," I'll be there and more than happy to acknowledge a fellow (pseudo) senior. Well, I'm not actually a senior but I do flash my license so quickly that the teenybopper behind the counter just takes it for granted that I'm a senior since I have a badass beard.

This works particularly well with a Jedi hand distraction that usually gets me a senior discount I don't deserve especially at Mc Donalds. That Jedi stunt is real BTW. Egg McMuffins..yummmm.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Agent☣Orange For This Useful Post:

NCGreasemonkey (05-06-2016)

Drives
    Thanks Given

From me for the youngsters that don't.

And Randy, myself and you are old, older and oldest respectively. lol

Night friend,
    Rick
    ... Rick

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift oldgrayleather's Avatar
    Drives
    '90 Mariner, '92 SB, '91 BRG
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,787 Times in 946 Posts
    AO! Yo fingers and thumbs in the pics above look younger than my son's! Love the yellow tint. I remember when that was a new thing in France.. takes me back...

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift HarryB's Avatar
    Drives
    '04 Strato Blue NB2
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,275 Times in 1,332 Posts
    Yellow tinted lenses are awesome! Want to do this on my NB2 fog lenses as well.

Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Proyea View Post
    AO! Yo fingers and thumbs in the pics above look younger than my son's! Love the yellow tint. I remember when that was a new thing in France.. takes me back...
    Haha, I'm not really old but just to pander to our younger membership for fun, I make it seem like my 40s is akin to nursing-home age.

Harry, I was thinking of exactly an NB2 when I wrote this! Perfect candidate.