Thread: The Slow Pursuit of Vintage.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift JamieH's Avatar
    Drives
    Black & Tan '97 - Betty
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,022 Times in 1,162 Posts
    Got some better pictures of the gauges and HVAC panel yesterday with my Canon point and shoot camera. Just day pics, no good night pics yet, might take some later tonight.

I've made a few orders for a few things and some of it has come in.

Better brakes have been on the list for a while. The stock brakes are mostly fine, but I have been wanting better pads with a bit more bite. I decided to try out G-Loc's GS-1 pads with some new Centric Premium rotors. Ordered the pads through 949 while I got very lucky and found the rotors on Amazon. So not only did I save a few bucks on the rotors themselves, free Prime shipping! I also order a complete set of control arm bushings directly from I.L. Motorsport along with their interior lighting kit in tan (the lights for the sides of the center of the dash). While I was at it I bought the FM pinch weld jack tool. I have to admit, for what it is, what it's made of, and how well it works, it's hard to beat.

Oh, and the RockAuto box is for something else. Just a maintenance issue with a family vehicle. Nothing interesting, just a power steering line for a '99 Chevy truck.

While I was in Goldsboro yesterday my friend Zach surprised me with a little something. Come to find out, while he was out of town for something or another, I forget, he made a side trip to grab a Hard Dog hidden hitch we had seen listed on craigslist. While I was at it, I bought the new MSM swaybar he picked up on a different side trip, which I was with him for. The swaybar will likely go on tomorrow, but I went ahead and climbed under Betty and installed the hitch.

And with the receiver removed:

So, why did I get the hitch? Because I like the idea of being able to haul a bit more stuff on trips (just need to find the right cargo carrier (something smaller and sorta light)). That I would like to eventually maybe still get some other wheels with some sticky goo-goo rubber and a way to haul them. Plus, it also acts as a bit of increased chassis rigidity.

The neat thing about this one is that the previous owner made it so a threaded rod/bolt with nuts are used to attach the receiver and drawbar. Looks as if a threaded tube was welded in so the bolts thread into the hitch and receiver themselves. And if I find I don't like that, I can just drill the threads out later.

Like I said, hope to install the MSM rear swaybar tomorrow. I'm also waiting on 1 rear rotor that should show up tomorrow so I can go ahead and get the new brakes in.

2 weeks til M@TG.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to JamieH For This Useful Post:

Fishbulb (07-18-2016)