2. The Following User Says Thank You to Oregonmon For This Useful Post:

tsingson (07-24-2016)

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power BRGNA8's Avatar
    Drives
    1996 NA8C MX-5
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,413 Times in 378 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JamieH View Post
    Oh, I got that figured out. Borrowed the sending unit off a friends car and instant improvement. After looking at the two, and learning that the engine from the '94 parts car I got my free sending unit from had been replaced, I'm pretty sure the unit I have is an aftermarket piece. Once I got to looking at the two everything but the overall shape was different. Orifice size for the oil, manner in which the unit was crimped together, construction of the spade connector's base, and missing the protective condom (which could have just been lost).

With the one from my friends car, much better oil pressure. Went from being barely off the peg once the oil was up to temp to just under 30 with that quick swap (reportedly similar to his '97 with similar mileage). So with all things the same, I know it's just a faulty/poorly made sending unit that was the reason for my seemingly low oil pressure.

That was temporary, so I am on the lookout for a proper good used OEM sending unit. At least I know she's healthy enough to continue being driven "spiritedly."
    Thats awesome. Good to hear you sorted the issue! I have a JDM NA8 cluster ready to go in with an NA6 oil pressure gauge that I got from my friends NA6 cluster. I was tossing up between buying a 2nd hand sender or a brand new OEM one, and decided to go OEM in the end. Glad I did and although it was a bit more expensive, least I know it will work properly

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift JamieH's Avatar
    Drives
    Black & Tan '97 - Betty
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,022 Times in 1,162 Posts
    So, this is more what I had done. Went to Hills Tire & Auto Service in Goldsboro this morning to have the wheels/tires road force balanced to try to cure my shimmy/shake/vibration issue in the steering wheel and car overall. First off, they're good people. They found that my front right was bent and brought me into the shop to show me. Crap. Well, I had them finish balance them and they told me about a company that does mobile wheel repair here in NC and SC, Rim Guard Extreme. I called them immediately and was put in contact with a fellow that was in town today, Patrick. At first it looked like I'd be waiting after lunch, but then he called me back and said he had an opening pop up.

By that point I had left Hills and was at the comic shop. I left ASAP to meet the guy at Hills since he needed the wheel dismounted and I'd need it rebalanced. Once there, within about 15 mins they had the wheel off and the tire dismounted. Took Patrick about half an hour to straighten out the wheel. I watched while he worked and we talked. He said it is was easier to work than most wheels he deals with and his guess was a high aluminum content. He went on to say that even some factory aluminum wheels were more difficult to repair. He also said, while pointing at a cheap looking chrome wheel, that a lot of the aftermarket chrome wheels he deals with crack easily regardless how much heat he adds, that they're just too brittle.

So, I guess the Chaparrals being a softer wheel is a good thing?

Anyways, it sucked the wheel was bent to begin with, and it always sucks to have an unexpected maintenance cost, and I didn't have the time to order a new wheel (plus it's be even more expensive). So I look at the $133 after tax cost of the wheel repair as acceptable. Also, Hills has a pretty good price on road force balancing at $64 for a set. And there was no extra charge for the dismount, remount, and rebalance of the one wheel & tire.

I'd recommend, and would return to, Hills. Like I said, good people. I'd also recommend Patrick for wheel repair, cool fellow. Asked what he thought of the company, if they stand behind things. He seemed overall positive. So it's something to keep in mind if I find some good wheels that just need some reconditioning.

Oh, and the shimmy/shake/vibration I felt in the wheel and while car is gone. Betty is right as rain as far as properly balanced wheels and tires now. I am ecstatic to finally have that issue resolved.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JamieH For This Useful Post:

kung fu jesus (07-20-2016),NCGreasemonkey (07-20-2016),tsingson (07-24-2016)

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts
    Fit the race seat.

Need to adjust the harness.

It's pretty humid today and I'm spent.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/4156

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to kung fu jesus For This Useful Post:

fwdtamiya (07-26-2016),JamieH (07-22-2016),NCGreasemonkey (07-22-2016),oldgrayleather (07-23-2016),tsingson (07-24-2016)

1,000 rpm - releasing the clutch
    Drives
    '03 Midnight Blue
    Thanks Given
    Getting A/C installed locally, went to the shop and gave my car a pep-talk. It's giving the guy wiring hell and it's been in the shop a bit too long...

9. The Following User Says Thank You to CJ10 For This Useful Post:

tsingson (07-24-2016)

Drives
    Black & Tan '97 - Betty
    Thanks Given
    Installed an I.L. Motorsport footwell lighting kit.

And a tinted plate cover with security hardware.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JamieH For This Useful Post:

BRGNA8 (07-24-2016),NCGreasemonkey (07-24-2016),tsingson (07-24-2016)

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift NCGreasemonkey's Avatar
    Drives
    '95 NA NA8 w/small tweeks
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,455 Times in 859 Posts
    Like that plate frame Jamie. HP will let that pass!
    ... Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post
    ...and don't be like an NCGreasemonkey.
    For the thread on Noir click below
    http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....e-light-Slowly

13. The Following User Says Thank You to NCGreasemonkey For This Useful Post:

JamieH (07-24-2016)

Drives
    1996 NA8C MX-5
    Thanks Given
    Installed an I.L. Motorsport footwell lighting kit.

And a tinted plate cover with security hardware.

Awesome!

Was it difficult to install that footwell lighting kit Jamie?

Drives
    Black & Tan '97 - Betty
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by BRGNA8 View Post
    Was it difficult to install that footwell lighting kit Jamie?
    Yes and no. Yes, because it's a cramped, uncomfortable space working under the dash, also, it has been pretty damn hot and humid. No, because the tasks themselves are simple and require minimal tools. Plus, the kit is mostly complete, well for my particular year/model. It's probably absolutely complete for others, like if you have that little switched map light on the passenger side of the dash. Otherwise you end up running a ground wire up to the overhead interior light so you can have the footwell lights operate the same as it.

Drives
    1996 NA8C MX-5
    Thanks Given
    Yes and no. Yes, because it's a cramped, uncomfortable space working under the dash, also, it has been pretty damn hot and humid. No, because the tasks themselves are simple and require minimal tools. Plus, the kit is mostly complete, well for my particular year/model. It's probably absolutely complete for others, like if you have that little switched map light on the passenger side of the dash. Otherwise you end up running a ground wire up to the overhead interior light so you can have the footwell lights operate the same as it.
    Do you think it's possible to wire up the NA6 OEM lights (i.e the lights next to the glove box and underneath the cigarette lighter) and have them work without having the OEM centre light?

Reason why I ask this is because I have a KG Works Mirror I'd like to install but they were made for the NA6 only. Ideally I'd like to forego my centre dome light and retrofit the KGW mirror there (along with getting rid of the windshield mounted mirror which comes standard on the later NA8's) and I want to wire up the NA6 lights to work like my centre dome light as well as installing the footwell lights like yours.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to BRGNA8 For This Useful Post:

RustRat (07-24-2016)

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    On the NA6, the footwell lights are in different locations. They are on the dash, not the center stack. The 3 way switch is on the driver's side.

I added LEDs into my stock mirror on my NA6. I wired them to the footwell lights and they all operate like Jaime shows. I think you would need to find a way to integrate a 3 way switch somewhere, somehow. To mount that mirror, are you going to have to change the windshield header cover on the interior?

Drives
    Black & Tan '97 - Betty
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by BRGNA8 View Post
    Do you think it's possible to wire up the NA6 OEM lights (i.e the lights next to the glove box and underneath the cigarette lighter) and have them work without having the OEM centre light?

Reason why I ask this is because I have a KG Works Mirror I'd like to install but they were made for the NA6 only. Ideally I'd like to forego my centre dome light and retrofit the KGW mirror there (along with getting rid of the windshield mounted mirror which comes standard on the later NA8's) and I want to wire up the NA6 lights to work like my centre dome light as well as installing the footwell lights like yours.
    Oh, absolutely. The map lights that came on the earlier NAs work just like the dome light, so I don't see why not.

But, I think the '96-'97 cars aren't prewired for the map lights on the dash. So, you'd first have to tap into the same PITA to reach wires for the power and ground for the earlier dash map lights. But after that, wiring the footwell lights would be easy peasy since you could just tap into one of the map lights.

Check out this write-up Adam did on his site. You can see how he attached a ground wire to the map light switch. You could then use a simple T-splice to get power for the footwell lights.

Also, I think the mounting for the later dome light and earlier mirror are the exact same with the same header panel.

Drives
    1996 NA8C MX-5
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by kung fu jesus View Post
    On the NA6, the footwell lights are in different locations. They are on the dash, not the center stack. The 3 way switch is on the driver's side.

I added LEDs into my stock mirror on my NA6. I wired them to the footwell lights and they all operate like Jaime shows. I think you would need to find a way to integrate a 3 way switch somewhere, somehow. To mount that mirror, are you going to have to change the windshield header cover on the interior?
    I was able to go to a wreckers and found a clean, intact NA6 windshield that I'm able to swap over if I want to, but going to see if theres any way at all to just remove the windshield mounted mirror cleanly without damaging the windshield. Was also able to grab the 2x interior lights from the NA6. I'm wondering how it would be possible to tap into the 3 way switch to the stock wiring as the center dome light already has the 3 way switch?

Oh, absolutely. The map lights that came on the earlier NAs work just like the dome light, so I don't see why not.

But, I think the '96-'97 cars aren't prewired for the map lights on the dash. So, you'd first have to tap into the same PITA to reach wires for the power and ground for the earlier dash map lights. But after that, wiring the footwell lights would be easy peasy since you could just tap into one of the map lights.

Check out this write-up Adam did on his site. You can see how he attached a ground wire to the map light switch. You could then use a simple T-splice to get power for the footwell lights.

Also, I think the mounting for the later dome light and earlier mirror are the exact same with the same header panel.
    Ahhh thanks for that Jamie. Ideally Id like to have the IL motorsports sunvisor plug lights + OEM NA6 lights with 3 way switch + IL motorsports footwell lights and have them turn on when I open the door or be able to control it with the switch. Can never have too much light I say. Plus it will give me the space to install the KGW mirror. Regarding the mounting, I think RustRat said it's not really a direct fit and you need to fab up a metal plate of some sort so that it will attach to the stock location and then have the KGW attach on to the plate.

So much trouble for a little retro style mirror...

1,000 rpm - releasing the clutch smy0003's Avatar
    Drives
    Gregory
    Thanks Given
    My na8 has the na6 positioned mirror, are the very late na8s similar to the nb?

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given

What did you do to your NA today? 2016 version

So, I am probably using the wrong terminology, but on my '92, the 3 way switch works by grounding the circuit in a couple of varieties. The circuit is always hot. The door switch also grounds the circuit when the plunger is out, if that position is chosen on the 3 way. Jamie's reference to Adam's blog (Rev Limiter) is the best way to figure it out.

Page 19 of 30 FirstFirst ... 912131415161718192021222324252629 ... LastLast