Thread: Paint chips correction

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift HarryB's Avatar
    Drives
    '04 Strato Blue NB2
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,275 Times in 1,332 Posts

Paint chips correction

Just wanted to pick your mind on something. My car has a number of small chips/dings that I would like to fix. I am not thinking of a full respray because of lack of closed parking space and because the car is as far as possible from a garage queen. Came across Dr. Colourchip products and they seem decent. Does anybody have any 1st hand experiences? Any other suggestions?

Cheers!

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift JamieH's Avatar
    Drives
    Black & Tan '97 - Betty
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,022 Times in 1,162 Posts
    Yeah, I've used the Dr. Colorchip stuff. Easy to use and the results are pretty good. As long as you understand it will never be an invisible repair, you'll be satisfied.

Most of the paint chips I've covered up go unnoticed unless I point them out. And even then, while I know they are there, I have to spend a moment to find some of them some times. Most people will never see them unless they are actively looking for them and even then it's still a game of Where's Waldo?.

Multiple applications are best for larger chips. Each layer should be given full dry time before the next layer. So, apply touch-up, remove access, let cure, then apply the next layer. The paint will shrink once cured, so it's a matter of slowly building the touch-up paint to the surround paint's level.

The small/tiny chips usually only need a single application.

Dr. Colorchip will stand up to buffing/polishing/waxing/washing. As to longevity, the chips I've covered have stayed covered for a few years now, but I do keep my car in a garage.

The small kit Dr. Colorchip offers is enough to do every chip/touch-up job a single car will ever need and then some.

If by dings you mean actual dents, look for a quality PDR guy.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to JamieH For This Useful Post:

HarryB (09-10-2016)