Thread: Aftermarket key types?

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power ueru's Avatar
    Drives
    1996 NA8C, 1998 NB8C
    Thanks Given

Aftermarket key types?

So, I have a several Pole Position blanks left over that I picked up in Kyoto and Tokyo (345 and 360 types in both silver and black), and I was wondering if it's possible to cut them into a 356 type (for Miatas). Particularly the 345's, as the shape is nearly exactly the same. I had a couple 356's, one was cut for my car and the other was sold to a friend recently, but I was wondering if all the rest could be used as backups. Just in case. Any ideas or experience?

The main difference between the Miata's 356 and the Toyota 345 seems to be the height of the side collar-y area. If that was shaved down at the locksmith, I'm guessing it would work the same...? All the other features including size appear exactly the same looking at the keys side by side. For reference, the uncut 345 won't slide into the key hole of the door or ignition. Impossible after all?
    flickr
    instagram~ @100yenrainbowmountain

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! lowandrusty's Avatar
    Drives
    '93 red and tan
    Thanks Given
    If it won't even slide into the lock cylinder it's likely a no-go on that key working. Looking at the abover chart, the profile of the valleys on the Toyota key looks to be wider than on our cars.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to lowandrusty For This Useful Post:

ueru (11-18-2016)