Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power hoodedreeper's Avatar
    Drives
    '92 Purple Supercharged
    Thanks Given
    A video for the previous update

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PKQYy1wNwM

I installed a front and rear dash cam by a company called Cobra. I didn't take any photos but I did make a video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYNjXwMWJU0

So the its the 2nd bank holiday in May, and its the 2nd weekend the car is in pieces because things haven't gone to plan. What should have been an easy to do, basic service soon turned into a huge headache!

I drained the oil, changed the oil filter and air filter and climbed underneath to fit the new sump plug, but it kept on turning.....noooo! I removed the sump plug and out came the threads and what looked like RTV sealant

(for personal record, mileage 157,724)

A quick forum search and the rear dog bone mount and aircon compressor has to come off to remove the sump. Doesn't sound too diffucult, right?

How very wrong! The car has a wrap around front subframe which gets in the way for most things. It took me and my friend Danny 4 odd hours just the remove the sump. If the subframe was dropped down completely it would be much easier, but that was going to be last resort. We ended up undoing the subframe bolts leaving a couple of turns and prying it down as much as we could, eventually it gave enough clearance.

I had to wait until Tuesday to find someone who could repair it. I contacted an independant engineering company (who had previously skimmed a couple of flywheels for me) who was happy to help. I got a call an hour later saying it was completed and ready for collection, charged me £30 which wasn't too bad.

In the mean time I installed some Nighteye LED H1 bulbs to the dipped beam (I know, I know....they're not legal)

I also gave the lenses a quick resto with some wipes from a brand called Armourall. I've used these on previous cars and they have worked really well

I managed to remove the broken terminal in the fog light plug and both fog lights now work. While the bumper was off I gave the lenses a tint too

Danny came back round Thursday evening and it took us another 4 hours or so putting it all back together including the front end and wheels. I certainly couldn't have done it on my own and I'm very thankful for his help.

Took it for a test drive the following day, I got a few hundred feet away from the house and heard a horrendous scraping noise. I managed to stop and saw this

The undertray was left off to make it easier to check for leaks. I forgot the arch liners attach to the undertray, oops! Luckily I had some cable ties in the boot which was enough to get me home. Both arch liners and undertray need replacing anyway so I'm on the look out for those.

Grabbed this photo as I got home, it's slowly coming together.

I'm sure it won't be long until it's pulled apart again. I'm waiting on the correct socket for the fuel filter, that should be here next week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLKuLF9ZFy4

2. The Following User Says Thank You to hoodedreeper For This Useful Post:

freedomgli (05-31-2023)