Thread: Gauge Cluster Differences Throughout the Years

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! jnshk's Avatar
    Drives
    1997 Chaste White w/ PEP
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by jnshk View Post
    - There is a 180-ohm 2W resistor for the fuel level gauge that jumpers a trace on the circuit board of the cluster in most years. It appears to be absent in many (if not all) of the 97 clusters. This resistor helps calibrate the fuel level gauge so that in earlier years it moves from F to E with the tank. In later years (which are missing the resistor), the needle goes past F and E. On a full tank, it floats above F until approximately 10-11 gallons and then begins to move. E represents approximately 2 gallons.
    I can't edit my initial post, but I've got more information to add in regard to this note: After more testing, the behavior is not entirely as I first assumed. When removing the resistor from the '93 cluster in my '97 car, it did increase the scale range slightly, but not quite as far as my '97 cluster. Not sure if there is just natural variance between gauges or some additional design change that I haven't spotted. With the '93 cluster (after resistor removed) in my '97 car, the needle will hold at just above F and then start dropping when the tank is at approximately 11 gallons. It will then read semi-linearly down to E and it will hover there until approximately 1.5 gallons are left in the tank and then drop a notch below E.
    Active: 1991 Mazda Miata (B-Package), JRSC+MS3 [Daily/Project]
    Active: 1995 Mazda Miata (M-Edition) [Full Send Project]
    Hiatus: 1997 Mazda Miata (PEP) [Candidate for Lifted Miata?]
    Hiatus: 1958 Volvo 444 Sport w/ Ford 2.9L EFI and drivetrain

2. The Following User Says Thank You to jnshk For This Useful Post:

CLZinn2 (09-20-2021)