Thread: Review: Flyin Miata's Ninja Cam Gear Tool

Idling - Listen to it purr... s0verybored's Avatar
    Thanks Given

Review: Flyin Miata's Ninja Cam Gear Tool

Earlier last month, Flyin Miata released this nifty little tool. I've done a handful of timing belt changes, and they were all a pain in the ass. I would constantly have the crank/cam gear move slightly while getting the belt on. What I needed was something to hold the cams in place just like how some hondas have the locking mechanism on the cam shaft. I really wanted to support RyokuRob, and buy his Timing gear set... but it just took too long. Well on to the review!

What you get:
    1 x Cam Gear Tool

First impressions:
    Nice sturdy stainless steel construction. Not much else to say since its such a simple tool.

Build Quality:
    Lightweight. Big "FM" laser cut into the center as well as a beer bottle opener. Nice clean cuts.

Style:
    I definitely dig the revised style compared to the original draft tool.

Kudos to them for adding the beer bottle opener. I've yet to use it though. I might even take a dremel and some metal polish to get that mirror shine.

Usability:
    This is exactly what I've needed all this time! Not only does it locks the cams in place while slipping on the timing belt, and the aforementioned beer bottle opener. But it also makes it a breeze to torq down the big cam bolt. The tool fits snuggly in between the cam gears. You can also use the cam gear tool to loosen the bolts holding the cam gears from the cam shaft. Flyin Miata included holes on the tool so you can ziptie cam gears to the tool so you don't loose the positioning.

Overall:
    Very satisifed with this $15 tool. What took me anywhere from 30-45 just getting everything lined up perfectly (and bitching and complaining) now takes me less than five minutes. And no more having to hold wrenches with one hand and slip on the belt with the other. This makes me want to get some adjustable cam gears... maybe later down the road. I would definitely recommend this tool to anyone that likes to do their own maintenance!

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift theothersawyer's Avatar
    Drives
    1994 Classic Red
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,498 Times in 734 Posts
    They are pretty awesome! I got mine and haven't been able to use the cam gear part of it, but I have used the bottle opener! lol