Page 48 of 66 FirstFirst ... 3841424344454647484950515253545558 ... LastLast

Thread: SOCAL Rambling Thread

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts
    We awoke Tuesday in Knoxville, excited to be finishing our journey today. Our destination today was our friend's home in Raleigh (Ray). A "mere" 350 miles! No problem, right? Well, I am no stranger to the areas between the TN and NC border. I have need to the area countless times in my Miata, that's where Deal's Gap and Tail of the Dragon is. The Smoky Mountains are a lot lower than the Rockies, BUT the elevation changes are closer together and tighter with a LOT of trees and vegetation. This makes it trickier and requires more concentration in a truck this size. This was the part of the drive I was most nervous about. This part of the 40 is more prone to rock slides and accidents that can close the freeway down. This is also why we stopped in Knoxville; this way I would be fresh and rested heading into this stretch of the drive. It is less than an hour from our hotel, so I briefed Tina about my concerns and asked for radio silence until we cleared it. It didn't help that the rain showers lingered in the area.

Beautiful, but deadly if you aren't careful. I didn't take a lot of pictures here because I had my hands full.

Snapped this pic quickly before the NC border. I said "fuck it" after this because of the tricky drive.

This part of the drive you have to mind the corner speed limits. Some of them are pretty tight for trucks. You are moving in and out of tunnels, misty mountaind tops and heavy elevation changes. We made it through fine without holding up traffic! Huge relief!

I wasn't out of the woods yet, though. I knew about the steep downhill section near Asheville about 45 minutes away. Once I cleared that, we were free and clear. I used the transmission for braking through that, keeping the speed at 25-35 so I wouldn't overheat the brakes. You could see where trucks had used the runoffs for emergencies the day before. The tranny in the truck didn't like the downhill and kept upshifting on me, but I made it! We stretched out into the rolling hills of North Carolina and pressed towards Raleigh!

As we approached Hickory, I noticed something ahead of me. I was coming up on another rental moving truck towing a car on a trailer behind it. The car had California plates on it with an Orange County dealer sticker on the plate frame. There was another car following it, also from CA. It was a couple, just like us! The guy was driving the truck, the male was following in their second vehicle. I remembered we passed them in Arizona on the first and second day, then again in Oklahoma on the third day! It was getting rare to see California plates at this point and I waved as we passed them.

Something funny happened at that point. We started this sort of impromptu, friendly race on the I 40 with this couple. We swapped lead changes over a dozen times in the next 3 hours, waving each time. I had a better top end speed, passing on the hills as I kept my momentum. I also knew how to draft better, maintaining speed behind other trucks. They had a *slightly* higher disregard for speed limits and designated truck lanes. I thought we lost them when they pulled off near Stateville and the I-77 interchange. I had to tell myself NOT to follow them, because I was used to taking that route out of the mountains when we would drive back to our home in Charlotte from Deal's Gap.

We pushed past Greensboro and stopped to try to find fuel. Tina topped off, but I couldn't find a station that had enough room for my rig. Frustrated, I pushed on and Tina soon caught up on the freeway. I decided I would push the limits of my fuel and refill in Raleigh. With ants in my pants and cramping buttocks, I pulled in to a rest area east of Greensboro to stretch, calm down, and walk Puma. We were there about 20-30 minutes and it helped a LOT. We had about 2 hours to go until we made it to Ray's house and I needed the break to refocus.

We jump back onto 40 and less than 20 minutes later, we pass that couple from SOCAL again. It was ON from there out. We were both going 75 mph, pushing our rigs as we sort of weaved in and out of traffic. It was pretty funny. It really helped make that last 2 hours go by FAST. I drafted behind a pair of semis west of Durham and the other couple got stuck behind a slow car. I could see them getting farther behind me, and I lot sight of them just west of Raleigh when we took the 440 (a beltway) to head towards Ray's. I wonder if their destination was Raleigh, too. I'm sure I'll watch for their cars for a long time as I drive the roads around here.

We made it to Ray's about 2pm on Tuesday, the truck on fumes. He lives very close to downtown Raleigh. We climb out, unload the hound and go inside. We hang out with Ray's wife, Betsy. She a surgical resident. She is on call but is sympathetic and gracious. Tina and I are like zombies at this point and we flop on the furniture and just sort of zone out. Ray and Betsy have a Vicsla, a rare Hungarian breed of dog named Bocephus, Bobo for short. Puma and Bobo remember each other and rekindle their friendship immediately! Puma is scared of the doggy door, but manages to get through it fine and goes out into their yard to enjoy being out fo the truck and lays on the lawn with Bobo. Puma would later come inside and sprawl out on the couch next to Betsy and sleep. And sleep, and sleep some more. She was tired. Ray was driving up from Atlanta with one of our friends from there, Joel (Chucky).

Everyone turns in early that night until Ray and Joel arrived at abut 11:30pm. We wake up and talk a while, enjoying a sack full of tacos they bought on their drive up. I went back to sleep about 1am.

Wednesday, we head over the new apartment about 10 miles away and unload. I drop off the rental truck and trailer by 3pm. It was sort of a bittersweet parting. I hated and loved that truck, but I was thankful it got me all the way across the US. I drove it angry and it took everything I threw at it and never gave me a problem.

Ray and Betsy kept Puma for us until Saturday. It allowed Puma time to rest and play while we unpacked and organized the apartment. I wasn't sure Betsy was going to let us take her back. She loves Puma.

Ray and Betsy showed us around town and had people over on Saturday for BBQ. SOooooo gooood!

I met them and Joel on Sunday at Beasley's downtown for chicken and waffles. It was better than Roscoe's in Long Beach. DEFINITELY. Think Roscoe's with hipsters. Joel left for ATL with Ray's Crown Vic after that.

Tina and I had the apartment set up by Saturday and she started her new job this past Monday. I have been reconnecting with old business contacts in the area.

We have been enjoying the area very much and plan to enjoy the long weekend to finally relax.

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts
    Oh, and my higher compression motor is LOVING the 93 octane fuel at $3.50/gallon.

1,000 rpm - releasing the clutch
    Thanks Given
    Glad to hear you made it to the mother land safely.

Cant wait to be out there myself.

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power Dilly's Avatar
    Drives
    '96 Miata
    Thanks Given
    That was a bomb ass read. Great write up, Steve.

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! Ham's Avatar
    Drives
    1996 Starlight Blue Mica
    Thanks Given
    I will have to catch up reading this at a later time. Puma makes the best honey badger!
    "Like" and visit our Project-5 Roadsters facebook Page! Your only San Diego Roadster Club!

http://www.facebook.com/Project5Roadsters

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! tanakapz's Avatar
    Drives
    2004 VRM MSM
    Thanks Given
    that was a lot of fun to read, thanks for the entertainment
    wut

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power EMMI's Avatar
    Drives
    suupazilla
    Thanks Given
    TAKAKAKAKAKAPZZZz

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! thedguy's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Damn, that must have been an exhausting drive...I got tired reading that.

Good post though. +1 e-cookie to you. You and Tina are gonna make it to year 6 right? Right?

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! tanakapz's Avatar
    Drives
    2004 VRM MSM
    Thanks Given
    tanaKAPZ obviously that's how you pronounce my sn emmi! haha
    wut

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power Grumpy's Avatar
    Drives
    Grumman Wildcat (ok, 92 Miata) :
    Thanks Given
    Removing CR sticker from the car. Hope the MazdaRoadster sticker fits in the same spot!

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power EMMI's Avatar
    Drives
    suupazilla
    Thanks Given
    tanapakapzZzz

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! Kuane's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    so I went over to the other site to look at whats new...... That place is fucking honda tech now.

JonB sucks at KINOD threads.

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! bokehmon's Avatar
    Drives
    1995 Brilliant Black
    Thanks Given
    ^yeah...

I think we all knew it would turn into HT at some point - I was hoping that I'd already killed my car at that point. No such luck. I guess it'll have to be stolen now. =[

Drives
    1994 M Edition
    Thanks Given
    It's still a better place when you're looking for parts to buy though, I think...

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! BMS 4EVER's Avatar
    Drives
    1991 Classic Red
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by jdm slick View Post
    It's still a better place when you're looking for parts to buy though, I think...
    agreed. that's the only reason I ever get on cr.

Page 48 of 66 FirstFirst ... 3841424344454647484950515253545558 ... LastLast