View Poll Results: DIY or Premade turbo kit?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Do-it-yourself

6 60.00%
  • Pre-made

4 40.00%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Turbo Kits: DIY or Pre-made?

Drives
    1994 LB / 2014 MX5CE / 91 SD Italia
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,712 Times in 1,646 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by I<3flippyheadlights View Post
    I got 180 across the board on mine. Am I fucked?
    Original new pressure on the 1.6 was 195, so you are difinitely good to go.

Drives
    1994 LB / 2014 MX5CE / 91 SD Italia
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,712 Times in 1,646 Posts
    With my factory MSM, it needed to breath and expell for the best performance, and still retain reliability; so DIY would be the way to go......

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts
    I have done both and Concealer is right, piecing together your own kit forces you to explore every aspect of the system and how you can improve upon it. In the end, you end up with something familiar, but a bit better, easier to diagnose and maintain.
    Braided lines, hardlines for water, fueling upgrades and general "bulletproofing" of the ancillary systems can become an obsessive exercise in details, but you can say you did it yourself and wind up with a better, more reliable system.

The age of the motor shouldn't be as much of a concern as the health of the thing. 100k miles the engine is barely broken in. I actually think the b6 takes boost a *little* better than the BP because of it's original intent, cams and access points for oiling. Not to mention it's OBD1, 195 psi is stock compression results on the b6.
    Last edited by kung fu jesus; 08-01-2012 at 06:53 AM.

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power Blueiii's Avatar
    Drives
    '91 Red (aka "Camber")
    Thanks Given
    Personally I'd prefer a kit, however that's because I've never turbo'd a car. (At this point, though, I would require a second miata, since Camber is my autocross car.) I'm slowly debating, should I get back to being employed soon, picking up a second car - a 94 or 95 with a torsen, and building it without worries about autocross rules or being competitive for a particular autocross class.
    2012: Purchased Miata, Laid off 3 days later. 4th place overall (default!), NWOR SCCA (RTR)
    2013: Budget RTR build, massive increase in participation, 3rd place overall, NWOR SCCA (RTR)
    2014: Suspension and more active competition in STS. 3rd place overall, NWOR SCCA
    2015: Time for some "form" and vintage styling (while still racing NWOR, of course).

Check out my Miata Journal: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....-miata-journal

1,000 rpm - releasing the clutch JonnyD's Avatar
    Drives
    99 Emerald Mica
    Thanks Given
    I would imagine the FM kits are pretty good, they are a pretty meticulous shop. I'm guessing they take the time to make as much power as possible without causing reliability issues. I would like to boost my NB but I have a lot of other stuff I need to get fixed/modified on it before I take that step. So with that said if I went with a kit it would be from FM only.

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone concealer404's Avatar
    Drives
    1990 Mazda MXSex GT Tarbo - faster than what you've got.
    Thanks Given
    With a 1.6, you might want to think about swapping to a stronger rear end and/or transmission as well.... so there's some added cost for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson
    One thing I’ve noticed over the years is that if you drive into London at 6am, half of the cars on the roads are Porsches and Astons. Whereas if you go in at ten to nine, they’re all Renaults. Simple solution, then. You want a nice car? Get up earlier and do more work.

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! psulja's Avatar
    Drives
    1999 Twilight Blue/1991 Mariner Blue
    Thanks Given
    I have thought about that a bit. Since it is not my daily I will get it running properly with the current diff. When that blows I'll upgrade it. Although if there is enough money left in the budget after finishing the turbo I could do it right away.

My sister's boyfriend has his gt2860rs (disco potato) from when he parted out his MSP build that I could get for $600. Maybe I'll base my build around that, but I'm worried it'll be too big for the 1.6l and cause lag issues. I'll look into the disco potato on a 1.6l tonight after work.
    Paul | IG- @psulja
    Build thread:
    1991 Mariner Blue - Built 1.8 swap, EFR, Fab9Tuning, Tii drivetrain

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! iamdallas's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    I'd still like to know compression numbers for 1.8 motors.

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! iamdallas's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Finally found it.

182psi was stock. Anything above 128 is considered acceptable, with consistent #s across the board.

Admin / Pit Boss / Miataholic Phatmiata's Avatar
    Drives
    Kirin the '93LE Roadster #1073
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,521 Times in 4,642 Posts
    where is the poll option for, im pressed for time, i want instant Boost in a boxed kit! I want a happy meal too!

I think it really comes down to experience here, if you are super skilled then yes DIY, but the average guy will by a boxed it.

Admin / Pit Boss / Miataholic Phatmiata's Avatar
    Drives
    Kirin the '93LE Roadster #1073
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,521 Times in 4,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Phatmiata View Post
    where is the poll option for, im pressed for time, i want instant Boost in a boxed kit! I want a happy meal too!

I think it really comes down to experience here, if you are super skilled then yes DIY, but the average guy will by a boxed it.
    Im planning to get a FMii kit (provided I can stop buying other stuff I dont need)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12