Thread: DIY Oil catch can/breather

Individual-1 ☚ ☻ ☛ Agent☣Orange's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,321 Times in 2,545 Posts

DIY Oil catch can/breather

One of my cool DIY projects I enjoyed making. This is a custom oil catch can I fabricated using a compressor filter. I also fab'd the mounting bracket that you can't see in the photo because it's on the other side. Includes stainless steel mini breather and brass fittings. It has a little petcock on the bottom to drain but really, it's just faster to unscrew the reservoir and dump.

It has been VERY effective at catching a lot of dirty air in the copper mesh and filled up the reservoir with oil that would have gone back into the intake, making it a dirty mess and eventually clogging the EGR passage and giving the EGR CEL.

I cleaned it out a little but can still use a good scrubbing if you want it totally clear. The idea is to be able to just open the hood and look at it to see how much it has filled. Can be mounted on the firewall or on the inside fender by the master cylinder. Currently configured to vent to atmosphere or you can remove the breather and run a return hose to the intake manifold if you wish.

Instructions: Remove line between valve cover (PCV valve) and intake manifold. Run new line from valve cover (PCV valve) to one side of the catch can. That's it. If you want to run a return line, remove the breather and run a line from that fitting back to the intake manifold (but why would you want that?)

$20

Have a look at the yummy goodness the intake manifold was spared (click to enlarge):
    http://gearheadsmiataclub.net/vB/sho...h-can-breather

Idling - Listen to it purr... bovaco's Avatar
    Drives
    90 Red
    Thanks Given
    You have a pm sir.

Individual-1 ☚ ☻ ☛ Agent☣Orange's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,321 Times in 2,545 Posts
    Sold.

Thank you B.

Idling - Listen to it purr... bovaco's Avatar
    Drives
    90 Red
    Thanks Given
    Received yesterday afternoon. Very cool, thanks.