Drives
    No-ata
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 851 Posts
    looking great

1,000 rpm - releasing the clutch Big Red's Avatar
    Drives
    DeLorean
    The Land Downunder. Errr the Upsidedown Place.
    Thanks Given
    The car is looking great so far... I always have had a soft spot for a white roadster
    ~Gareth~
    -ROADSTERZOKU-

1,000 rpm - releasing the clutch GripFTW's Avatar
    Drives
    '90 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanks.

Still tracking my 2-drop oil leak. So far I've replaced the CAS o-ring with no improvement.

I pulled the valve cover to see if there may be a crack near the back due to the coil pack only being held on by one bolt. Broken bracket and missing the bolt in the back. It looks ok so I cleaned up the old RTV and put it back together.

In other news the minty bumper and fenders are making the rest of the car look... neglected. Hopefully a polish will help bring the oxidized panels closer to the new ones.

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone wannafbody's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Does your drain plug have the washer on it?

Drives
    '90 White
    Thanks Given
    Great suggestion. It didn't when I got it but does now. That along with some other fixes I've done have gotten me from 4-5 drops down to 2.

2 drops. So close, yet so far.

Drives
    '90 White
    Thanks Given
    A quick backstory on the top to hopefully help someone else avoid my mistake. My old top had been patched up a couple times and leaked around the side windows pretty badly. The car resides in the garage so for the most part it was manageable. I finally had enough and found a complete replacement top with a bad rear window. My plan was to combine my good rear window with the good used top. It was a good plan, except for one minor detail that I never considered until the old top was removed and the good parts combined and reinstalled. Hey, those zippers are completely different! Fuuu...

TLDR! - When combining parts from different tops make sure the zippers match up before you install.

Fast forward to now. I picked up a yard of .030 clear vinyl to replace the bad window. I started by cutting out the bad rear window with a utility knife as close to the window edges as possible.

Next, I masked around the edge of the old window and scuffed the left over bonded window seam with some sand paper. This will also keep any excess glue off the top.

Using some flexible vinyl adhesive I glued an oversized piece of the new window over the opening. This glue started to set very fast and didn't really provide consistent coverage over the seam like I expected. It did bond well but I was concerned about its ability to stay water tight.

Once the glue had fully set I carefully trimmed the excess vinyl window around the outside edge of the seam. Finally, I used some black silicone window sealant to ensure that the window is water tight. A little sealant goes a long way so I only used enough to seal the outer edge.

With that part done over the weekend I took some time today to pull the top out of the car. There is some surface rust on the tank access covers so those will need to be cleaned up before the top goes back in.

With some luck I should have the top back in tomorrow.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123