Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Major Interior Lighting Upgrade

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! TheButcher's Avatar
    Drives
    1996 M-Edition
    Thanks Given

Major Interior Lighting Upgrade

I was sick and tired of having very little interior lighting in my NA. I even tried changing the dome light bulb to a LED but while it was brighter it was still very sub-par.

Im sure most of us have about this much light when you turn your light on inside the car or open the door.

Now i think we can all agree that is pathetic.

While it is not the most difficult thing you can do to your car i will show step by step how to change the lens and bulb to get more light in your interior and still have the stock look.

Here is what comes stock.

Here is what you will be replacing it with.

Here are the 2 next to each other.

Now comes the fun part. You will need to order the correct part. Now don't fall off your chair but it is a Mitsubishi part. I know.....this may cause stress, depression, public ridicule or other problems associated with intermanufacture relationships. Some of you are prejudice against it or have been programmed by your parents to believe that they are wrong. If this is the case and you want to work through these issues i am a licensed thearpist and you can PM we with your concerns.

The part # is : Mitsubishi part # MR951527

This is something that is not stocked at most if not all Mitsu dealers and i got it online for 9.86 shipped. I have seen it for around $5.50ish but shipping was expensive....and they added the dreaded "handling" charge. So, i may have paid a little bit more for the bulb.....but all was included in the price.

Now you have the part let's get on with the fun.......

The light is easier to take off if you do one side at a time. Like this.

Then you have the bulb to remove....

Now here is where my closet redneck comes into play. I do have the correct tool to grab the light and pull it out.....but why? I just used my key.

And Boom goes the Dynamite!

Now your thinking to yourself...."Butch (you can call me that we are friends) why did you remove the bulb? I thought we were just going to upgrade the lens?"

well you would be correct but i figures since we were doing this.....let's go for the gusto! Im talking about a LED bulb also. Yep!

Old

New (I got this at a local speed shop but i have seen them online also. I don't normally recommend dealers but it's not hard to find. I would post a part # but most i have found have different ones.)

Sharing a laugh before i throw the old one on the floor and let my cat play with it.

Now let's finish this up. I'm sure my PM box is filling up with future clients and can't keep them waiting.

LED Installed (Note: remember to check +/-. Mine would only work one way.)

Remember.... One side at a time...don't get crazy now. We are in the home stretch.

And finished.

All done. I know it's not pure Miata....or even pure Mazda. But it looks like it is and now you can see your hot date better at night while your begging her to spend the night or let you come into her house. She will see you in more light and you will not look as much like a creeper/rapist. Now if your married....the same applies. Trust me!

Now i get to the climactic end. But, right when i was wrapping it up i learned that while the razer maxx takes great pictures in the light.....it's low light capabilities are somewhat limited.

So here is the end result. It is amazing and i really can't believe how much light there is now. While my picture might not be the best i think it gives you an idea.....i hope. Or all this was to waste.

Money Shot!

BAD PICTURE....i know. But it gives you the idea.

Keep Modding.....Helps keep the repressed memories....well....repressed. Just where they should be!

Individual-1 ☚ ☻ ☛ Agent☣Orange's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,321 Times in 2,545 Posts
    Thanks for the write up Butch. Nobody's going to be hung up on the Mitsu lens in a Miata and it makes a big difference for sure. Still inexplicable why Mazda went with the smoked version, especially since it's the only interior light in an NB.

By the way, you should ditch that 4-LED sissy bulb and get yourself a panel...

Drives
    1996 M-Edition
    Thanks Given
    WHERE DID YOU GET THAT?

That thing is Killer!

Thanks Given
    I have secret contacts at a Japanese LED reasearch lab that send me prototypes to test. It's by invitation only and the vetting process takes years.

Drives
    1996 M-Edition
    Thanks Given
    LMAO

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! MartyMcfly's Avatar
    Drives
    Crystal White '92 Miata
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by YellowYata View Post
    I have secret contacts at a Japanese LED reasearch lab that send me prototypes to test. It's by invitation only and the vetting process takes years.
    So, Autozone, eh?

Thanks Given
    Pretty much.

Admin / Pit Boss / Miataholic Phatmiata's Avatar
    Drives
    Kirin the '93LE Roadster #1073
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,521 Times in 4,642 Posts
    These smoked lens also came standard on the NA8C from 96 ~97. I just added lights in the tranny tunnel though. Thanks for the heads up and great write up!

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! The Driver's Avatar
    Drives
    1996 Montego Blue Leather Package + 5 Speed = Torsen II
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by YellowYata View Post
    Thanks for the write up Butch. Nobody's going to be hung up on the Mitsu lens in a Miata and it makes a big difference for sure. Still inexplicable why Mazda went with the smoked version, especially since it's the only interior light in an NB.

By the way, you should ditch that 4-LED sissy bulb and get yourself a panel...

Oh admin royalty, do you have a part # for us peasants? BTW, OP, AWESOME thread!
    96 Montego, replacing a 95M... I miss: My running peeps in Tampa, running barefoot @ Clearwater Beach and First Choice BBQ, in Brandon. In So Cal I miss: The Malibu Canyons, CA 33 and In & Out Burgers ! I'm from Tampa, if I was from Tampa Bay, I'd be a fish!

Thanks Given
    Did it so long ago, I don't remember. However, if you go to Autozone, they have a couple different ones: the panel I used above and another one that is so huge, it's apparent it would never fit inside the Miata's dome light.

Just count the LEDs on the panel, i.e. 3x4 and you can't go wrong.

There are some more details and pictures of the packaging here:
    http://gearheadsmiataclub.net/vB/sho...ght=dome+light

Drives
    Thanks Given
    ^ Beatiful! Txs Dude, this mod looks like a WINNER!
    96 Montego, replacing a 95M... I miss: My running peeps in Tampa, running barefoot @ Clearwater Beach and First Choice BBQ, in Brandon. In So Cal I miss: The Malibu Canyons, CA 33 and In & Out Burgers ! I'm from Tampa, if I was from Tampa Bay, I'd be a fish!

Idling - Listen to it purr... Barmato's Avatar
    Drives
    04 VR MSM
    Thanks Given

The clear lens MR951527 is on eBay for $12.95. There's 3 available.

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here!
    Thanks Given
    Nice Detective work there, Sherlock
    Just another cracka azz cracka with an Old Beat up '97

Idling - Listen to it purr... Barmato's Avatar
    Drives
    04 VR MSM
    Thanks Given

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Barmato View Post
    Hey rookie, if you are trying to get in my good graces.... Well, it worked!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast