Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: All Weather Tires - The Good. The Bad. Help!

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! Chops's Avatar
    Drives
    2013 Fiat 500 Abarth
    Thanks Given
    There's several versions of the Yokohama Advan tire, so it's still not great info, but better than nothing.

On that note, you still shouldn't be spinning out with those tires, even in the rain. I had Falken Azenis 615's on my '02 and drove all over creation with those things, put roughly 30k on them, yes, 30,000 miles. By the time I got rid of them, they were hard, very noisy and with scratch lines rather than tread. No, they didn't grip like new, but I still never had any mishaps in the rain with them either, and that was a lot of highway driving as well as backroad cruising.

If those Yoko's of yours have plenty of tread on them, then you shouldn't be having any issues with them in the rain IF you're driving properly for the conditions. If not, then it doesn't matter what tire you put on there, you'll still be flying all over the place but the road.
    2013 Fiat 500 Abarth
    2015 Fiat 500 Pop
    1991 "Tardis Blue" BRG #581 <- SOLD

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! drv2fst's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    I'm in Vancouver and it rains a lot here. My start specs were great in the rain but tread is wearing down now after 3 summers. I just back off speed a little on the highway. Cornering grip is still high. All season tires are too much of a compromise for any season.

I`d imagine it doesn't get that cold in GA, so look for a rain tire not an all season tire.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death - Hunter S Thompson

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! The Driver's Avatar
    Drives
    1996 Montego Blue Leather Package + 5 Speed = Torsen II
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by drv2fst View Post
    I`d imagine it doesn't get that cold in GA, so look for a rain tire not an all season tire.
    In Central and SOuth GA, sure. But in the North GA, it gets COLD, so does NW AR.
    96 Montego, replacing a 95M... I miss: My running peeps in Tampa, running barefoot @ Clearwater Beach and First Choice BBQ, in Brandon. In So Cal I miss: The Malibu Canyons, CA 33 and In & Out Burgers ! I'm from Tampa, if I was from Tampa Bay, I'd be a fish!

Idling - Listen to it purr...
    Drives
    2011 Mazda Miata MX5
    Thanks Given
    Maybe I just suck at driving. I've been driving manual and rwd vehicles for 5 years and never had an incident with a spin out until last week. *shrugs* I do appreciate all the information and will review everything and bring it up with my mechanic. thanks.

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts
    I think you will do well with a well-known manufacturer. Michelins are very nice with a high price. I generally buy better tires for my wife's car, not because she is woman, just so I know she is safe regardless of the condition. She is an accomplished driver with a quite a lot of performance experience and more daring in those circumstances than a lot of men, too. She drives a lot for meetings and customer appointments, so it makes sense to have her worry less about tires and weather conditions and more on driving. I wanted to get Michelins on her NB the last go around, but I couldn't get them in time for a long trip she was taking.

Dont feel belittled by anything posted here. It is a new car to you and you may not be accustomed to it 100%. When I lived in SOCAL, I had to remind myself of my Miata's characteristics in the wet, it rained so rarely there.

Michelin, BF Goodrich, Continental, Yokohama, Pirelli, Bridgestone are all brands I would suggest.

Mod Squad
    Drives
    2016 Ceramic GT
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,453 Times in 1,354 Posts
    Others here know way more about tires than I do. But if you only have one set of tires you will need all-seasons. We have 100+ degree days during summer and it gets down to single digits in winter. Summer-only tires will suck in the winter here.

You'll love Fayetteville, it's a great town.

Idling - Listen to it purr...
    Drives
    2011 Mazda Miata MX5
    Thanks Given
    Thank you. I'm super looking forward to my move to Fayetteville. I've heard great things about the place.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123