Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Epic Miata Road Trip

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts
    Between those ovals and stick figure families, it's just cliche. Now, if it was like Phat posted, a hardside luggage on the trunk rack with those plastered all over, that would be pretty cool and a cumulative souvenir to boot!

Drives
    Classic Red '91
    Thanks Given
    Bon voyage! Are you tenting along the way?

Idling - Listen to it purr... dangerousdave's Avatar
    Drives
    Emerald Mica Green 2002
    Thanks Given
    Yeah we're going to be sleeping in a tent and in the car when possible, couchsurfing, and a hotel stay every once in awhile to relax Trying to do it as cheaply as possible so we can drag it out as long as we can

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! RoadsterTech's Avatar
    Drives
    '91 Mariner Blue
    Thanks Given
    In your trip try to make it down to Tampa/ St. Petersburg..
    We have a nice contingent of Miatae .. It would be cool to have you at some of our meets.
    You may know me as RAB or BCT or Rick depends on where you look.

1,000 rpm - releasing the clutch Silver92B's Avatar
    Drives
    1992 Silverstone
    Thanks Given
    OK, I drove my NA from Tacoma WA to Atlanta GA in November and tried camping along the way. I would strongly suggest making sure that you are not trying to camp in November. Not only it can get cold as hell, but the night is too long and getting out of the sleeping bag in the darkness and cold is no fun. Your idea sounds like a lot of fun and I don't want to sound negative, *but* the Miata is awfully small and has precious little room for cargo. As others suggested, I strongly agree on some sort of auxiliary luggage rack. I had my Miata packed to the gills, including the rear shelf and the passenger's side seat and foot well with my stuff as well as the trunk, and it was barely enough. I carried a (2) man tent, some clothes, camera and some basic camping gear. I also carried a few extra Miata bits which added to the bulk. Take a small tablet and use the free WiFi at McDonald's and other fast food places.BTW, you'll learn to love McDonalds... And Walmart (but it will only be a one night stand LOL!).
    Some hotels and Motels are great, but many are horrible beyond words, beware of bedbugs... And shady characters. Buy some Bear spray at REI, it'll make you feel safer...

Since there are 2 of you traveling, I think you'll have to be super efficient in packing your stuff and minimalist to the extreme. I do think it could be done and you'll have a wonderful time. I strongly suggest traveling along the Pacific on the PCH. The Western states can be amazing. The Grand Canyon could be along the way. The BLM parks and camping areas are very nice and quite cheap! I hear that Idaho, Wyoming, Montana have breathtaking scenery. OTOH, traveling through Kansas, parts of Texas and some parts of the Midwest can be less than fun (a lot less). The North GA mountains, TN, Blue Ridge Parkway (NC, VA) are beautiful. KY is also quite beautiful.

You'll have a blast! I wish I was taking another long road trip....

Oh yeah, you'll want to get the "Oh Ranger" app for your iPhone. it's invaluable for finding National & state parks and camping areas
    Last edited by Silver92B; 05-03-2013 at 06:52 PM.

Drives
    Emerald Mica Green 2002
    Thanks Given
    We're already used to camping out in the cold, and we have all our equipment already from our bike tour. It all fits in the trunk with a couple things behind her seat (short legs!) Our stuff is very minimal as it is, riding bicycles and hauling all of your personal possessions up hills quickly makes you realize how little you really need =)

Idling - Listen to it purr... DepravedInfant's Avatar
    Drives
    2004 NB in Sunlight Sliver Metallic
    Thanks Given
    Though it runs North & South, definitely hit at least a few miles of old route 21 South of St. Louis if you're going through Missouri. As long as you stay on the old road, it's hundreds of miles of bliss. And it's probably the most beautiful scenery in the state.

Drives
    Classic Red '91
    Thanks Given
    Not to rip on the fact that you won't be biking (hopefully the knee gets better for future bike trips) but how are the bike trails in the US?

I went on a little bicycle trip last year (a month in central europe) and loved it, I've been thinking about taking a bike trip in the US, next time I'm there on holiday.

Drives
    Emerald Mica Green 2002
    Thanks Given
    It really depends on the state, but from what I've heard Europe has way better bike trails. Florida for example has really good bike trails everywhere: http://goo.gl/maps/Ghjxt

Drives
    Classic Red '91
    Thanks Given
    Thank you, hadn't seen that function on google maps before. Looks like the east coast of Florida could be a nice trip!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12