Thread: Where do I place a Wideband?

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift I<3flippyheadlights's Avatar
    Drives
    1990 Spirited Green Miata!
    Thanks Given

Where do I place a Wideband?

I'm going to be putting a bung in my header soon for a WB and I want to know where others have placed theirs. I have heard it needs to be upright so moisture doesn't collect on it but otherwise then that, I know nothing. Obviously I could search or go to Miataturbo, but how does that help people on this site? Pictures and advice are welcome, thanks everyone!

Background info, I'm doing a very basic supercharger set up. M45 charger, no intercooler, stock pulley, MSD box and FM Voodoo box for fuel management.
    1990 Miata, she was red but now she is Spirit Green!

http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....d-a-love-story <--- build thread!

Also check out the facebook page http://www.facebook.com/IHeartFlippyHeadlights !!! Its a facebook page dedicated to the awesomeness which is flippyheadlights! Not me, but the actual headlights! High time someone noticed how awesome these things are; check it out!

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here!
    Drives
    VR 2004 MSM
    Thanks Given
    Not upright, just not straight up. Picture a circle (pipe cut), you want it on the top semi-circle if that makes sense. I have mine going in sideways.

You don't want it too close to the exhaust manifold, they're not designed to handle the kind of heat your first o2 sensor (narrowband) is. If you're going straight pipe, I'd put it smack in the middle of where the car was. If you're gonna have a cat, then I'm not sure.

Drives
    Thanks Given
    All the way on the cat? Seems a little far back. Do you have any pictures of your setup.

Also check out the facebook page http://www.facebook.com/IHeartFlippyHeadlights !!! Its a facebook page dedicated to the awesomeness which is flippyheadlights! Not me, but the actual headlights! High time someone noticed how awesome these things are; check it out!

Drives
    Thanks Given
    No more knowledge in here?

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! jux's Avatar
    Drives
    '90 White A-pkg, '08.5 CWP MS3
    Thanks Given

Re: Where do I place a Wideband?

Put it in the downpipe fairly close to the cat.
    '90 "LE" with red bits - 7/6 Flex, FM Front Bar, 14x7 +19 RPF1, PWR, SPAL, Maxim Works, Thermal R&D, HDHCSDM2, Zoom, Anvil II, 330mm mahogany Deep Corn, AC/PS delete, LE interior, attitude
    '08.5 CWP MS3 GT - AST 4100, TriPoint Rear Sway and Links, JBR STS w/ bushings and lockout plate, Moddiction Anvil II

Drives
    VR 2004 MSM
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by I<3flippyheadlights View Post
    All the way on the cat? Seems a little far back. Do you have any pictures of your setup.
    Oops, auto correct phail. I'm using an Ebay down pipe. It replaces the stock MSM one with a straight pipe. It also came with a wbo2 bung, it was located in the middle of where the CAT was, 90 degrees, parallel to the ground.

To be honest I don't think it matters much. I know when my wbo2 sensor died during tuning my tuner just stuck one up the pipe to finish up the tune.

Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,233 Times in 531 Posts
    Wow, some incorrect info here. Here is what the installation instructions say for the MTX-L wideband I have:

"Install the oxygen sensor’s bung upstream from the catalytic converter (a bung is included in the MTX-L kit). The bung must
    be installed in the exhaust pipe at the side or on top, NOT on the bottom of the exhaust pipe. Any decent muffler or exhaust
    shop can do this for you. The wide-band oxygen sensor is then installed into the bung to take a reading. The ideal position
    is between 10:00 and 2:00 position."

I have mine at roughly the 12:00 position due to clearance issues with the tranny tunnel. Most things I have read tell you to install it where your exhaust joins into a common pipe so that you will get a reading from all the cylinders. Mine is on the midpipe before the cat. If you go to Innovate's website you can find the owner's manual for the MTX-L which might help you out.
    '00 SE, intercooled BRP MP62, Reverant MS2, Ohlins DFV, Konig Flatout (now X 2)
    __________________________________________________ ____________
    This ain't no build thread!

Drives
    VR 2004 MSM
    Thanks Given
    um, that's kinda what I said about positioning the bung, I just wasn't sure in regards to the CAT, since I don't bother with one.

Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,233 Times in 531 Posts
    Yeah, I see that now. Apparently my reading comprehension fails. I was sure I saw someone say not to put it on the top, maybe that was somewhere else. Sorry.

Idling - Listen to it purr... Jumbosrule's Avatar
    Drives
    Black 1995
    Thanks Given
    I placed mine about six inches from the stock O2 sensor, closer to the cat.

AEM recommends you mount the sensor 15 degrees off perpendicular to the pipe, slanted in the direction of flow.