Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Miatas Before the Gap powered by Rspeed

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts

Miatas Before the Gap powered by Rspeed

Miatas before the gap2.jpg

Join us for the Jzilla Trackdays before the Gap powered by Rspeed event on August 2nd at Atlanta Motorsports Park!

We will keep the pricing low as this is a weekday event. MX5's will take over Atlanta Motorsports Park before the annual gathering at Deal's Gap. This is open to other car groups but instructed group is limited to MX5 owners.

Novice instruction is reserved for MX5 drivers first and will be open to the public if it does not fill up.

NA/NB must have a 4 point approved roll bar. Please check with event organizers and staff beforehand if you have questions.

NC/ND may run with the stock rollover protection, but will be restricted to tires with a UTQG of 101 and higher. Below that, we require an approved aftermarket rollbar.

Instructed Groups are also restricted to tires UTQG greater than 100.

Registration ends on July 28, 2018 11:59 PM EDT

https://www.motorsportreg.com/events/miatas-before-gap-atlanta-motorsports-park-jzilla-trackdays-668916

https://www.facebook.com/miatasbeforethegap/

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to kung fu jesus For This Useful Post:

Agent☣Orange (02-07-2018),flier129 (02-09-2018),HarryB (02-06-2018),Phatmiata (02-06-2018),RotorNutFD3S (02-06-2018),SigmaX (05-23-2018),TNRooster3 (04-11-2018),tsingson (02-08-2018)

Admin / Pit Boss / Miataholic Phatmiata's Avatar
    Drives
    Kirin the '93LE Roadster #1073
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,518 Times in 4,641 Posts
    Ill post this info on the Florida FB page maybe you can get some North Florida guys to drive up

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Phatmiata For This Useful Post:

kung fu jesus (02-07-2018)

Individual-1 ☚ ☻ ☛ Agent☣Orange's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,318 Times in 2,543 Posts
    Our GearheadsMiataClub.net guys are not unfamiliar with this event.

No todo que es oro brilla.

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    It should be a righteous jam we hope grows to become its own destination event. Ideally, we would love to outgrow AMP and see it turn into a weekend event at Road Atlanta. We think AMP is the perfect track for Miatas and one of the premiere roadcourses in the US.

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    I guess I’m persona non grata over there. I see I’ve been banned, maybe from inactivity or something else.

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Spots are still available for Novice with certified instruction! Other groups are also filling!

KMiata is onboard!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to kung fu jesus For This Useful Post:

tsingson (04-12-2018)

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! MiataQuest's Avatar
    Drives
    faster now with the Ecotec 2.4 (1992 white NA)
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,024 Times in 443 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kung fu jesus View Post
    Spots are still available for Novice with certified instruction! Other groups are also filling!

KMiata is onboard!
    Track dummy question...Is that wheel to wheel racing or timed?

Sidenote: I was going with a "Deuce" roll bar for looks but that seems to limit what I can do at track days. I have decided to now go with one that could be recognized by track organizations. It is more fun to drive than look at a car!

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Neither. HPDE is non-racing, non-timed.

You can time your own laps if you like. This is about education and testing your skills in the safe confines of a track environment in a friendly atmosphere. You will be on the track with other cars, you are likely to pass or be passed. This event, if you are in the instructed novice group, will pair you with an instructor who will help you familiarize yourself with the finer points of being on a track, improving your technique, answering your questions, and providing further instruction about primary performance driving principles. There will also be some casual group instruction to introduce you those principles. Some of these may include threshold braking, weight transfer, proper safety, passing and being passed, etc.

I encourage novices and intermediate drivers to ask for rides with other advanced drivers to see how they take certain lines. You can get a good feel for how certain modifications and skill enhance a particular car this way. As a novice, you can also request other instructors to ride with you later in the day to glean more information or tips.

HPDE is the introduction to advanced track activities like time trials/time attack, wheel to wheel racing.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kung fu jesus For This Useful Post:

HarryB (04-12-2018),MiataQuest (04-12-2018),tsingson (04-12-2018)

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! MiataQuest's Avatar
    Drives
    faster now with the Ecotec 2.4 (1992 white NA)
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,024 Times in 443 Posts
    Thanks for the detailed explanation. I do understand the concept of HPDE, I just did not know what your Atlanta event was all about.
    If I can get my drivetrain sorted out I will probably try a HPDE at Waterford or Gingerman raceway as a primer. I can probably get away with a set of pads and good brake fluid to get started.

It would be awesome to drop the wife off with my daughter in Chattanooga and go to your event and the dragon.

Drives
    99 Silver NB
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,066 Times in 1,332 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MiataQuest View Post
    It would be awesome to drop the wife off with my daughter in Chattanooga and go to your event and the dragon.
    You have a Miata with a backseat?

Still want to make this event. Just trying to work my schedule out to be out of work in the middle of the week.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to tsingson For This Useful Post:

MiataQuest (04-12-2018)

Mod Squad
    Drives
    2016 Ceramic GT
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MiataQuest View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tsingson View Post
    I'm guessing his daughter lives in Chattanooga, so he'd only have his wife in the car.

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Here are some videos of AMP from different Miatas to show what it's like to drive the track and what Jzilla HPDEs at AMP are like:

This is James Marcellana (aka "Jzilla") describing what his events are about. It is unique compared to those I have done, and he tries to model them on the camaraderie and fun of M@LSR.

I would be happy to go over any questions or concerns you have to help you decide!

Jzilla hosted an FRS/BRZ HPDE the day before their Deals Gap event last year and it was a LOT of fun! My only vested interest is to grow this event, give those of us east of the Mississippi a chance to experience the fun of M@LRS closer to a national Miata gathering. Autocross has been staged during previous M@TG events, but never the thrill of lapping the world-class tracks so near. Personally, I'd love to see this grow to where we can do it at Road Atlanta (hallowed ground for American motorsports). I think if we can, maybe with Mazda's forthcoming presence in nearby Huntsville, this could be a complimentary event to the M@LRS.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to kung fu jesus For This Useful Post:

tsingson (04-12-2018)

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power Pyr0monk3y's Avatar
    Drives
    1991 Miata
    Thanks Given

Still want to make this event. Just trying to work my schedule out to be out of work in the middle of the week.
    Do we still need to do your brakes? My school schedule is freeing up. Let me know and we can knock it out one afternoon.
    What the hell are you thinking Andy?
    1991 Track Rat
    Build Thread:
    Function>Everything

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Pyr0monk3y For This Useful Post:

tsingson (04-12-2018)

Drives
    99 Silver NB
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,066 Times in 1,332 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyr0monk3y View Post
    Do we still need to do your brakes? My school schedule is freeing up. Let me know and we can knock it out one afternoon.
    That would be great! I just need to pads and rotors and we should be good. Ethan picked up an NB2 also so we have been doing stuff on his.

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Awesome! Would love to see you there, Anthony!

AMP is not too hard on brakes, but there are two heavy braking zones. T1 and T6. I see 95-105mph going into T1 off the long front straight, ~70-75 into T6. Both are downhill.

Let me know if you have any questions. I may be busy at this event, but the car won’t be as much a concern as Charlotte was because I’ll be closer to home and it’s a place I know well.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kung fu jesus For This Useful Post:

theothersawyer (04-13-2018),tsingson (04-13-2018)

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast