Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Building a CSP Race Car (Blueiii build #2)

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power Blueiii's Avatar
    Drives
    '91 Red (aka "Camber")
    Thanks Given
    A few hints I've given:
    1.) Don't need the front coolant sensor to turn on the fans
    2.) AFM is being removed and replaced with a different sensor, in this case a GM IAT
    3.) #BecauseRacecar

Thus, you've probably already figured out that I won't be using the stock ECU. I discovered that one of the footwell cover bolts was rusted out , but was able to rip the cover off. I'll need to retain it for class rules, though. I'm still waiting on my cable so I just laid it where it will go for now...

Last night I started removing radio wiring. The car came with an amp, Sirius radio and a head unit. Needless to say all of this needs to come out and the wiring was amateur at best. We're hosting a party for my daughter's 1st birthday this weekend so I won't be able to do much with the car until my next scheduled "staycation" day on Monday. Hopefully by then I will have the ECU cable and the IAT bung. I also sent an email to Rick over at Roadstertech to look into a blanking plate and OEM cubby that will allow me to run the AEM wideband gauge without using the heater vents.
    2012: Purchased Miata, Laid off 3 days later. 4th place overall (default!), NWOR SCCA (RTR)
    2013: Budget RTR build, massive increase in participation, 3rd place overall, NWOR SCCA (RTR)
    2014: Suspension and more active competition in STS. 3rd place overall, NWOR SCCA
    2015: Time for some "form" and vintage styling (while still racing NWOR, of course).

Check out my Miata Journal: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....-miata-journal

Drives
    '91 Red (aka "Camber")
    Thanks Given
    Fire it up! (a chronological Fail story)
    Replacement shift lever arrived. Installed with correct bushings and I was able to get it into gear, although had to slam it in. Still not 100% sure on the synchros....
    Hooked up the wideband and ECU over the weekend.
    Calibrated TPS and wideband. Clicking key forward primed fuel pump.
    Dropped front end of car and lifted rear to install the driveshaft. Noted that transmission did not want to spin.
    Discovered fuel dripping on floor of garage. Discovered coolant dripping on floor of garage. WHOOPS. Started pulling things apart, discovered fuel line had slipped off (wasn't tight enough.)

Pro Tip: O'Reily Auto Parts sells "Green Shield" high pressure fuel lines. These are a Gates product, and I discovered two things about them. First, don't get fuel on the outside of the line as it will turn gummy. The lines are not meant to be submersible, and the material used on the inside and outside is different. Second, the fuel lines are "bio-fuel compatible." I did some research into the product itself, and apparently Gates Green Shield rubber fuel lines are e85 compatible.

I attempted to spin motor manually to flow some oil... Even with the breaker bar, no movement... Figured maybe it was just tight? My dad was on his way over to help me fire the engine so it didn't dawn on me that it spun rather easily while installing the flywheel.

Eventually turned the key and got... nothing. Bought a new battery, attempted again... click click click, but no cranking.

At this point I believe the culprit is transmission related. When bolting up the transmission I was trying to align it alone and used the bolts to "cinch" it up. Apparently this is bad and can result in hanging up the pilot bearing and tying it up. I'm feeling a bit dejected and overwhelmed at this point because getting everything to this point was SUPER time consuming, its now officially cold in Ohio (ie: 5 degrees yesterday morning) and the garage is not insulated...

If anyone has a spare Exedy clutch alignment tool they can mail me, that would be awesome. I threw mine out after everything was bolted up...
    2012: Purchased Miata, Laid off 3 days later. 4th place overall (default!), NWOR SCCA (RTR)
    2013: Budget RTR build, massive increase in participation, 3rd place overall, NWOR SCCA (RTR)
    2014: Suspension and more active competition in STS. 3rd place overall, NWOR SCCA
    2015: Time for some "form" and vintage styling (while still racing NWOR, of course).

Check out my Miata Journal: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....-miata-journal

Drives
    '91 Red (aka "Camber")
    Thanks Given
    Alright, we're back, but still not in action.

No pictures because, well, they wouldn't be any different at this point than anything I've posted.

Weekend 1: Borrowed a transmission jack from a friend, removed a bunch of stuff, attempted to separate the transmission. Attempted again. And again. Damn, this thing is STUCK.

Weekend 2: Friend offered to come down from MI and lend a hand. We decided it best to simply pull the motor again. Motor came out in a few hours. It took 2 four-foot breaker bars (one on each side) to break the trans loose. It was hung up on the clutch. Whoops! We stopped for the day, as I couldn't get a clutch locally.

Weekend 3: Same friend came down for another day of help. We managed to get the clutch installed and motor back in before he had to leave. The first attempts to turn it over were unsuccessful.

Weekend 3.5: I picked up a new battery (again) and now she turns over! But she doesn't start. I'm stumped as to whether I a.) set something up in the Megasquirt incorrectly or b.) we damaged the CAS on one of the motor installs by banging it against the firewall. It could go either way I guess? (Megasquirt reads "RPM Not Synced." Still trying to figure this one out, so any thoughts are appreciated. I just ordered the logviewer last night so I'll try to take a log on Friday. (I have someone local that has a spare CAS and coil, so I'm going to throw those in and give it a go.)

Drives
    '91 Red (aka "Camber")
    Thanks Given
    Nearly three weeks later and only minor updates.

I picked up a spare CAS and coil pack from another enthusiast that happens to live about a mile from me. Swapped them both and gave it another try with the same results. My MS builder and I attempted to start with him viewing my laptop remotely and he agreed something wasn't right, so I shipped the ECU back to him. He identified problems with the MS but couldn't identify why, and has been working to resolve it. He's hoping to have it back to me this Friday and agreed to offer some idle tuning help remotely to make up for the inconvenience.

In the meantime:
    1.) It dawned on me that this car might not actually be a '90. Sure enough... its an '89!
    2.) I was offered a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, and the wife agreed I should take it. Heading to California in May and will be granted access to tour the "basement."

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power freedomgli's Avatar
    Drives
    1991 Miata
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 433 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueiii View Post
    at this car might not actually be a '90. Sure enough... its an '89!
    Nearly half of all model year 1990 Mazda Miatas (the first model year available for sale in the USA) were manufactured in 1989. Within prescribed limits (see below), the manufacturer decides when the "model year" starts and ends. For many light passenger cars, it typically starts in September and extends through August. There's a certain rhythm to auto plants, especially those with unionized labor forces. Almost all such plants shut down for summer breaks where the hourly staff take off vacation and the salaried engineers stay behind to make the bigger changes to tooling, processes, etc. So while automakers are continually working to improve their products, bigger changes tend to occur during the switch over from one model year to the next. For a brand new vehicle, it's not uncommon for the model year to start very early as production slowly ramps up and they work out kinks with the early builds. It might take a full year or two for a new design to have the major kinks worked out. Meanwhile, new kinks are always being introduced.

40 CFR 85.2302 - Definition of model year.

Model year means the manufacturer's annual production period (as determined under § 85.2304) which includes January 1 of such calendar year, provided, that if the manufacturer has no annual production period, the term “model year” shall mean the calendar year.
    40 CFR 85.2304 - Definition of production period.

(a) The “annual production period” for all models within an engine family of light-duty motor vehicles, heavy-duty motor vehicles and engines, and on-highway motorcycles begins either: when any vehicle or engine within the engine family is first produced; or on January 2 of the calendar year preceding the year for which the model year is designated, whichever date is later. The annual production period ends either: When the last such vehicle or engine is produced; or on December 31 of the calendar year for which the model year is named, whichever date is sooner.

(b) The date when a vehicle or engine is first produced is the “Job 1 date,” which is defined as that calendar date on which a manufacturer completes all manufacturing and assembling processes necessary to produce the first saleable unit of the designated model which is in all material respects the same as the vehicle or engine described in the manufacturer's application for certification. The “Job 1 date” may be a date earlier in time than the date on which the certificate of conformity is issued.

Drives
    '91 Red (aka "Camber")
    Thanks Given
    Yup - Just kind of surprised to see that this particular car was something like #22k. Its not like its number 200 or anything super special. There were just a few minor differences I noticed compared to my 91 that were (apparently) only '89 specific. (Gloss top latches, for example.)

The only real plus is that, as an early A package car it was already pretty light to start with. Assuming 2,100 lbs, +25 for motor but -30 for top, -25 for a/c, etc. should put my sub 2k lbs goal into attainable territory.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Blueiii For This Useful Post:

freedomgli (03-21-2017)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234