Thread: NA Miata Diff Interchangeability

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MaRcOp01o View Post
    Well there is a really nice deal on eBay for the axles, diff, and drive shaft from a 2004 Mazdaspeed Miata that looks very clean and its been available for a while so if timing is right I will probably pick that up. And I was planning on doing a nice restoration of it making it all nice and pretty.

The MSM diff uses different axles (maybe driveshaft too, can't remember). Those axles are not easy to find because they are specific to that model. The cone/plate LSDs of all the '03-05 miatas aren't generally regarded as being nearly as stout as the mechanical Torsen differentials. Broken/chipped friction plates are not uncommon. I've personally pulled an MSM diff from a race car that burned up and caught fire when the axles were popped out and the oil inside was exposed to more oxygen.

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! MaRcOp01o's Avatar
    Drives
    93 EUNOS and 93 LE
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 567 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kung fu jesus View Post
    The MSM diff uses different axles (maybe driveshaft too, can't remember). Those axles are not easy to find because they are specific to that model. The cone/plate LSDs of all the '03-05 miatas aren't generally regarded as being nearly as stout as the mechanical Torsen differentials. Broken/chipped friction plates are not uncommon. I've personally pulled an MSM diff from a race car that burned up and caught fire when the axles were popped out and the oil inside was exposed to more oxygen.
    I bet that was exciting. The listing i am looking at comes with everything for the swap. But like SFL MIATA said i should take an axle out and check before doing any purchasing.
    Follow the Builds
    1993 Eunos Roadster B-spec by Mazdaspeed
    http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....819#post222819
    1993 Mazda Miata LE
    https://mazdaroadster.net/showthread...233#post244233