Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dealing with crushed "Frame Rails" on your Miata

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power Pyr0monk3y's Avatar
    Drives
    1991 Miata
    Thanks Given

Dealing with crushed "Frame Rails" on your Miata

When I bought my Miata the frame rails were absolutely crushed. They were so badly crushed that the floor pan was bent and bulging inside the passenger compartment. It looked like someone just threw a floor jack under the car and didn't even look before they picked the car up. It's a miracle the fuel and brake lines weren't crushed.

These frame rails are paper thin. They are not jack points and they add barely any strength to the car. Really, the only thing I can figure they are strong enough to do is reinforce the floor pan. It appears like 2 engineers had an argument. One wanted a light chassis and the other wanted a stiff chassis. They compromised.

Luckily, several companies sell a solution/upgrade to fix this problem. I went with Flyin' Miata's rails however there are a number of other companies that sell similar products. I went with Flyin' Miata because they routinely have "group buys" where they sell 30 or so sets of rails at one time at a lower price. Also they offer a butterfly brace that offers even more reinforcement to those whose cars are compatible.

I'll apologize in advance for the bad photos, it's hard to get good lighting on the underside of a car.

Here's what I had to work with:

Start by arranging the fuel lines in a way that you wont bend or break them. They're kind of in the way, but they're flexible so it's not too bad.

Tools: Big hammers, pry bars, chisels, pliers, and a 10mm wrench (for the fuel line brackets). The steel bar is there to assist the pry bar.

Use the chisel or pry bar to get the flattened rail away from the floor pan. Then grab it with the pliers. Were just bending the old rails out of the way. You could cut them off if you really wanted, but bending them is easier.

Once you've bent the rails away from the floor pan, use a ball peen hammer to deal with any bulges.

Things should be looking a little better now.

If you're worried about rust, hit any bare metal with some paint.

Now repeat on the other side, then apply whatever aftermarket frame rail solution you opted for.

Done.

The car is a lot stiffer now. I immediately noticed the difference when I left my driveway. The ride is smoother and there is less vibration. Even if your Miata isn't a track car, this is a worthwhile upgrade.
    Quote Originally Posted by tsingson View Post
    What the hell are you thinking Andy?
    1991 Track Rat
    Build Thread:
    Function>Everything

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Pyr0monk3y For This Useful Post:

charchri4 (12-11-2013),miatasam (06-06-2022),Phatmiata (09-02-2013),sublevel01 (06-12-2018)

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone wannafbody's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Good work

Individual-1 ☚ ☻ ☛ Agent☣Orange's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,321 Times in 2,545 Posts
    Nice job Pyro! Thank you much for your great post and pictures. Hell of a good start on mazdaroadster.net

Drives
    1994 LB / 2014 MX5CE / 91 SD Italia
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,712 Times in 1,646 Posts
    Very Nice Job!

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone etikoner's Avatar
    Drives
    1995 Merlot Mica
    Thanks Given
    I can't believe i still haven't bought a set of frame rails lol.

Drives
    99 Silver NB
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,066 Times in 1,332 Posts
    You have a lift in your driveway? If so, let's do my frame rails man. Just kidding. Excited to see the car in person tomorrow night.

Drives
    1991 Miata
    Thanks Given
    You have a lift in your driveway? If so, let's do my frame rails man. Just kidding. Excited to see the car in person tomorrow night.
    Indeed, my dad and I built a 34x46 garage in our backyard 2 years ago. Complete with 2 post lift, air conditioning, running water and internet. It's basically just a big man cave.

Don't get your hopes up, I'll be there but my car is nothing special. Just a beat up Miata.
    1991 Track Rat
    Build Thread:
    Function>Everything

Drives
    99 Silver NB
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,066 Times in 1,332 Posts
    My hopes are that we get more enthusiasts to come out to the meets. All car makes. I have a friend that autocrossed his RSX and he is starting to come out. I have a set of Boss Frog frame rails that I need to install. Just didn't want to install them on my back. My NB is nothing special either man. Just another NB.

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power JLBMX5's Avatar
    Drives
    Red '93 Miata
    Thanks Given
    I have the only special Miata. Oh wait its not special its red only the most mass produced color lol

Idling - Listen to it purr... CDPHOTO's Avatar
    Drives
    1990 Mazda Miata, 2002 Subaru WRX, 1986 Suzuki Samurai
    Thanks Given
    Do you think my frame rails are saveable?

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power BoBo's Avatar
    Drives
    & Rides
    Thanks Given
    If I were you I would just have it cut and install a new floor pan reinforcement rail. Or you can leave them because the real frame rails are on the side of the car. But because bent floor pan rails are ugly it's just better to have them cut out. Like this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=fxjXK3gEG10

It should be cheap to due at a muffler shop and have it shot with an undercoat. You could use a 25lbs dumbbell to push the bulge on the floor pan. It worked on my mr2 before, just tap the bulge little by little until it's flat.
    08 Kawasaki Ninja 250R Tuned/Track Prepared
    04 Z4 2.5 M Sport Package
    01 SLK 230 Kompressor AMG Sport Package

Drives
    1991 Miata
    Thanks Given
    Just bend or cut them out of the way enough to install the new rails on top of them. Make sure to paint any bare metal, once the rails are on it will be a pain to fix any rust that forms underneath them.

It looks like your car is pretty low. You probably wont like new aftermarket frame rails since they rob you of a little ground clearance. You'll have to raise your ride height 1/4-1/2 inch. But, you gotta do something. I'm shocked your fuel and brake lines aren't smashed.
    1991 Track Rat
    Build Thread:
    Function>Everything

Idling - Listen to it purr... CDPHOTO's Avatar
    Drives
    1990 Mazda Miata, 2002 Subaru WRX, 1986 Suzuki Samurai
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by BoBo View Post
    If I were you I would just have it cut and install a new floor pan reinforcement rail. Or you can leave them because the real frame rails are on the side of the car. But because bent floor pan rails are ugly it's just better to have them cut out. Like this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=fxjXK3gEG10

It should be cheap to due at a muffler shop and have it shot with an undercoat. You could use a 25lbs dumbbell to push the bulge on the floor pan. It worked on my mr2 before, just tap the bulge little by little until it's flat.

That is a great idea!! Thanks BoBo! I really like that plan over the frog rails. some 1x2 thick wall square tube would be way cheaper and be just as strong. I have a welder. The hard part would be cutting off the old rails. I really need to get a plasma cutter.

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power BoBo's Avatar
    Drives
    & Rides
    Thanks Given
    ^No problem glad to help. I wish I knew about miatas having a weak frame rail sooner.My miata frame rails on the passenger side is perfect, except the driver side, it's pushed up a bit, but I managed to drill a hole on top to slip a bolt and hammer the rails down. Whereas, my infiniti has frame rails are much stronger and you can use it as a jack point.
    Last edited by BoBo; 07-01-2013 at 05:12 AM.
    08 Kawasaki Ninja 250R Tuned/Track Prepared
    04 Z4 2.5 M Sport Package
    01 SLK 230 Kompressor AMG Sport Package

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone wannafbody's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Some states require the factory frame rails to pass inspection. So cutting them out totally isn't always a good idea.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast