Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Ruckkehr's 二回目 Second Lap: Clean Build

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power MLambert19's Avatar
    Drives
    1991 LS3 R.I.P. 1990 Donor Chassis in Progress!
    Thanks Given
    Sorry the full HKS Cam experience was short-lived, but super happy to hear they ran great (if only for a brief while).

The Jenvey setup has a variable TPS, so that will be sorted when you install those...

The Technical Guy RuckkehrMiata's Avatar
    Drives
    Red `89 NA
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Greasemonkey2000 View Post
    Man really sorry to hear. I'm sure Reverant will fix the issue but still doesn't undue the frustration and inconvenience. So what are the cam specs that they can't run on a stock ecu? It will be worth it in the end, the long game sir.
    The mechanic at least told me that without the ECU properly handling it the engine would lean out and cylinder temps would skyrocket possibly leading to damage very quickly if say under WOT.

Quote Originally Posted by MLambert19 View Post
    Sorry the full HKS Cam experience was short-lived, but super happy to hear they ran great (if only for a brief while).

The Jenvey setup has a variable TPS, so that will be sorted when you install those...
    I know, I saw that on them and am looking forward to it. For some reason there was variable tps available for every manifold except mine that the shop could find. They were thinking of fabricating a bracket for one but it just didn't seem worth it.

-----

I've been talking to revenant but nothing so far. Between the time zone difference and nature of the tests (Since I limped home on the stock ECU I have to tear my carpet up to plug the ms3 in and run tests for him) it might take awhile - and I have to drive a U-Haul to LA on thursday heh.
    `89 NA build: 二回目 My (defunct) `92 NA build: Ruckkehr

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! Greasemonkey2000's Avatar
    Drives
    2001 NB2 aka Misfire
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,425 Times in 1,233 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RuckkehrMiata View Post
    The mechanic at least told me that without the ECU properly handling it the engine would lean out and cylinder temps would skyrocket possibly leading to damage very quickly if say under WOT.
    Humm...I was just going by what 949 Racing has for the Tomei cams:
    "* The NA8 BP05 cams will work with OEM lifters, valve springs and ECU provided either OEM intake or exhaust is used.

* If high flow intake and exhaust are both used with any of the cams on this page, the OEM ECU will not provide enough fuel potentially leading a a dangerously lean condition (boom!). Additional power gains will be found with a fully programmable ECU regardless of what other parts are fitted to the engine."

http://949racing.com/Tomei-miata-cam.aspx

Obviously these are B6 HKS cams so maybe they are more aggressive and the B6 ecu isn't as capable as the BP...
    '01 NB2 aka MisF1re: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....218#post207218
    '97 M aka Warbird, gone but not forgotten: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....B&goto=newpost
    Instagram: @greasemonkey2000

Drives
    Red `89 NA
    Thanks Given
    Humm...I was just going by what 949 Racing has for the Tomei cams:
    "* The NA8 BP05 cams will work with OEM lifters, valve springs and ECU provided either OEM intake or exhaust is used.

* If high flow intake and exhaust are both used with any of the cams on this page, the OEM ECU will not provide enough fuel potentially leading a a dangerously lean condition (boom!). Additional power gains will be found with a fully programmable ECU regardless of what other parts are fitted to the engine."

http://949racing.com/Tomei-miata-cam.aspx

Obviously these are B6 HKS cams so maybe they are more aggressive and the B6 ecu isn't as capable as the BP...
    From the internet:

264 Intake
    Max Valve Lift - 10.3mm
    Valve opens at 2 deg BTDC
    Valve closes at 28 deg ABDC
    Valve Centerline 105 deg

264 Exhaust
    Max Valve Lift - 9.8mm
    Valve opens at 42 deg BBDC
    Valve closes at -12 deg ATDC
    Valve Centerline 121

On a lighter note, it was really cool seeing how these cams changed the cars personality. It heavily smoothed out the HP curve until it was very linear. Pretty much shaped like */*

I didn't feel the "dead zones" until redline, it was really and truely awesome feeling.
    Last edited by RuckkehrMiata; 09-17-2016 at 05:54 PM.

Drives
    2001 NB2 aka Misfire
    Thanks Given
    How did it sound? Not going to lie I bought cams partly for the sweet sounding idle, etc.
    '97 M aka Warbird, gone but not forgotten: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....B&goto=newpost

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift NCGreasemonkey's Avatar
    Drives
    '95 NA NA8 w/small tweeks
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,455 Times in 859 Posts
    Your luck is like mine. Stick with it!
    ... Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post
    ...and don't be like an NCGreasemonkey.
    For the thread on Noir click below
    http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....e-light-Slowly

7. The Following User Says Thank You to NCGreasemonkey For This Useful Post:

RuckkehrMiata (09-18-2016)

Drives
    Red `89 NA
    Thanks Given
    How did it sound? Not going to lie I bought cams partly for the sweet sounding idle, etc.
    She sounded like a mix between a t-rex and a helicopter combined with a quaif inline shifter whine from the new lifters at idle. I don't have a sound clip unfortunately, there wasn't really much time to get the gopro in the short time it lived. What is funny is that with the stock ECU back in, she still has the grumble - but lost all of the edge the tune gave it.

I unfortunately don't have the patience just yet to get to troubleshooting with Dimitris yet. He wants me to plug the MS back in and start doing some things but I'm still a bit miffed and dealing with packing our apartment. Might put it off until I am in LA
    Last edited by RuckkehrMiata; 09-18-2016 at 03:52 PM.

Drives
    Red `89 NA
    Thanks Given
    Just a quick update.

I GOT HER MOVED! She is now residing with me in West Hollywood, LA. I brought her on a uhaul trailer, with 2x4s and 2x6s to hold her low chassis up. It took several people at the destination uhaul place to get her off due to a lack of inclines.

I cracked her open tonight to take some photos and notes for my on-going conversation with TurboMiata's Reverent in troubleshooting the MS he built me.

Still no joy.

She cranked, backfired violently, then started cutting out like she did before (the MS resets/reboots).

This here b&#7@$d is the crux of the entire build, and she won't work for me, and nobody seems to know why.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to RuckkehrMiata For This Useful Post:

Phatmiata (10-23-2016)

Drives
    Red `89 NA
    Thanks Given
    Oh and following up on this. Even with the stock ECU she has a nice lumpy idle without any RPM dips, you can 100% tell she has cams, even with my aggressive exhaust. With the lifters replaced, you can even hear them sing a little tune as the RPMs change.

Drives
    2001 NB2 aka Misfire
    Thanks Given
    Needz more sound clipz...

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Greasemonkey2000 For This Useful Post:

NCGreasemonkey (10-22-2016)

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Any progress on getting Megasquirt sorted? Really looking forward to ITB install and dyno results (hopefully, eventually)!

Hope all's well, -Matt

Drives
    Red `89 NA
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by MLambert19 View Post
    Any progress on getting Megasquirt sorted? Really looking forward to ITB install and dyno results (hopefully, eventually)!

Hope all's well, -Matt
    Thanks for checking in.

Unfortunately no, USPS currently owns my megasquirt and mslabs has ghosted me - not that he was any help really to begin with. He was exceptional at taking $1000, his ms was built supremely well, but he ignored almost all communications after a certain point.

The shop I went just made such a mess of this I haven't touched my car since I moved to LA, and it hasn't run since. And the whole escapade into fung my car up put me out a few grand, so I haven't had the capital to undo it.

I have been in contact recently with a local tuner/shop discussing the damage done by the previous shop and sorting out a path forward and saving up for the repair work.

The ITBs are still on my book shelf where I can see them daily and remember the long term goal.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to RuckkehrMiata For This Useful Post:

oldgrayleather (04-03-2017)

Drives
    Red `89 NA
    Thanks Given
    Good News:

Bad News:
    Nothing happening until next week.

----

That said, seriously brace yourself for the biggest & most important updates to come out of this build thread *to date*.

Hint: gurgling and MLambert19
    Attached Images Attached Images

18. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to RuckkehrMiata For This Useful Post:

fwdtamiya (05-24-2017),Greasemonkey2000 (05-19-2017),HarryB (05-19-2017),MLambert19 (05-18-2017),Paul B (05-18-2017),tsingson (05-24-2017)

Drives
    Thanks Given
    In for gurgling! ...Uhhh. That doesn't sound right, does it?

Updates to this thread make me happy!

20. The Following User Says Thank You to MLambert19 For This Useful Post:

RuckkehrMiata (05-18-2017)

Drives
    Red `89 NA
    Thanks Given
    So she runs.

Tonight was just preparation for tomorrow, starting with jumping the car to get it running since the battery had sat quite awhile.

Next came draining that half a tank still in her that sat for 8 months.

The old gas was still clear, and obviously still octane'd since she ran long enough to charge the battery up to "functional" before I drained (mostly to run the fuel pump).

Drained the old fuel then threw in two gallons of 91 and ran around the corner to make sure she wasn't acting up.

Making the 60mi journey tomorrow to Advanced Engine Dynamix (trying to convince him to come on here, you won't believe some of the stuff he is cooking up in his garage - including a 4g63 turbo swap into an nb platform that will make you pee yourself. no subframe modifications, just custom motor mounts).

Anyways, yes, the big thing is happening (starting to, at least) tomorrow.

22. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to RuckkehrMiata For This Useful Post:

fwdtamiya (05-24-2017),Greasemonkey2000 (05-24-2017),HarryB (05-24-2017),MLambert19 (05-24-2017),tsingson (05-24-2017)

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast