Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91213141516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: The Slow Pursuit of Vintage.

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift HarryB's Avatar
    Drives
    '04 Strato Blue NB2
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,273 Times in 1,330 Posts
    Holy, that made a difference! I like your turbo lightweight equipment!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to HarryB For This Useful Post:

JamieH (12-06-2017)

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift JamieH's Avatar
    Drives
    Black & Tan '97 - Betty
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,021 Times in 1,162 Posts
    Minor update.

The needle caps on my tach and speedo slipped off a little while driving. So I removed the cluster to apply a dab of silicone to keep them stuck.

While at it, I finally got around to making a tiny change to the RS Products Meter panel. Two of the indicators are a chrome plastic material while the rest are a brushed aluminum/metal material.

Side by side comparison. Plastic on left, metal on right.

The plastic indicators are simply glued in, while the metal ones use a nut with lock washer. Metal ones are mas gooder.

A while ago I picked up a set/mix of the indicators removed from a meter panel with the intention to swap them out.

And now the results.

Before:

After:

Tiny detail that likely wouldn't be noticed by most, but it's been a very slight annoyance to me since I picked up the meter panel. All better now.

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to JamieH For This Useful Post:

Agent☣Orange (02-21-2018),Greasemonkey2000 (02-20-2018),HarryB (02-20-2018),MikeA (02-23-2018),MX5Wisher (02-20-2018),Roadster7 (02-20-2018),ueru (02-21-2018)

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! Greasemonkey2000's Avatar
    Drives
    2001 NB2 aka Misfire
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,425 Times in 1,233 Posts
    Nice touch, Jamie! I had a black, then an aluminum NA KG Works panel and one had plastic indicator lamps and backing plate while the other had all metal/glass, my guess is newer units are plastic to save money.
    '01 NB2 aka MisF1re: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....218#post207218
    '97 M aka Warbird, gone but not forgotten: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....B&goto=newpost
    Instagram: @greasemonkey2000

Drives
    Black & Tan '97 - Betty
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Greasemonkey2000 View Post
    Nice touch, Jamie! I had a black, then an aluminum NA KG Works panel and one had plastic indicator lamps and backing plate while the other had all metal/glass, my guess is newer units are plastic to save money.
    With my panel being an RS Products panel instead of a KG Works one, and it's an older panel too, think I've had it for around 5 years, and I bought it used, could be how all the older RS Products panels were.

If anyone reading this doesn't know the difference, KG Works panels have amber indicators in the bottom center corners, whereas the RS Products panels have red indicators. I was schooled on this by Adam a while ago.

I think I remember seeing more recent RS panels included a rear defrost indicator too. I know the new KGW panels have corrected CHK ENG label instead of the EX HEAT label too.

In other news, I finally got my Royal Clover keys cut, along with a new OEM Mazda key.

$2 for each to be cut at a local place.

And with my old factory key and it's R2Limited keychain along with a couple of Revljmiter keychains.

So the whole reason for the new OEM key was as a trial. If they could cut it properly, I'd feel better about them cutting the Royal Clovers. Which, I know I could have used a cheaper aftermarket key for that, but new OEM key blanks are kinda cheap on Ebay. And if it worked out, I'd have a spare new OEM key for Betty too. Plus I didn't want to tun the risk of an aftermarket key's shape interfering with the ignition cylinder (actually something I ran into with the one spare key I got when I bought Betty)

Anyways, think I need to place another order with Adam for the new OEM key. Maybe have him make something special for the Queens key too.

7. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to JamieH For This Useful Post:

Greasemonkey2000 (02-21-2018),HarryB (02-22-2018),MiataQuest (02-21-2018),oldgrayleather (02-21-2018),Roadster7 (02-21-2018),ueru (02-21-2018)

Drives
    Black & Tan '97 - Betty
    Thanks Given
    Ahhh... it's like a thing that's going around. Overdue updates to build threads. I think?

Helped a friend pull his engine.

Spun a bearing, still at my place. Will be for a while. It'll get fixed eventually.

Went to a local C&C.

Went on a spirited drive to help a fellow member make a decision about Xidas.

Helped another friend load up an FD from a storage lot that's been there for a decade.

He's still working on it. It is an FD after all.

Bought a spare Eunos 800 badge from the phatman. Got a little phone charm too. He's the best.

Went to a small local meet at Sonic's

Umm, got a new phone. The ole S4 didn't die, but it stopped working as an actual phone.

S7. I like it. Takes better pictures. Well, better than an S4.

Did a basic restoration and slight mod on an OEM ashtray.

Took out the holder to make it a storage compartment.

Somehow or another the Revlimiter HVAC plate shifted slightly at some point. Maybe from heat affecting the glue? I dunno, but it was bothering me.

So, out it came.

And carefully readjusted.

All better.

I finally got around to installing the Cappuccino washer bottle.

And with the GS cowl panel drilled and re-installed.

I made a boo-boo and slipped with the dremel while trimming for the cap tab. Oops. I'll probably strip it and give it a fresh coat of wrinkle black eventually. I need to do a bit of drilling and trimming anyways. After flipping the washer nozzles and hose around for the new washer bottle location I found there's some slight interference. Very minor, temporarily alleviated a bit by carefully massaging the panel a touch with some well placed ballpeen hammer blows. It's fine, everything is fine, how are you?

Went on a another spirited drive with some friends. Was a bit impromptu.

I'd been noticing that the shifting had gotten a bit more notchy than normal. So I pulled the console out to pull the shifter and inspect things.

Both boots were ripped. Yay. Out of annoyance I immediately tossed both (so Betty sat without a shifter for a bit) and ordered replacements from Bill at MiataRoadster.

Went with the NC lower since it's a direct fit and way cheaper than an NA lower. Got it all quickly installed.

Hoping the extra heatshielding bits let these boots last a bit longer than normal.

And buttoned up... again.

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JamieH For This Useful Post:

Greasemonkey2000 (07-30-2018),HarryB (07-30-2018),MiataQuest (07-30-2018),Roadster7 (07-30-2018),tsingson (07-30-2018)

Drives
    Black & Tan '97 - Betty
    Thanks Given
    Finally picked up a GoPro. Did a bit of frugal shopping on ebay and Amazon to come up with a basic little bit of kit.

Hero 4 Black, 64gb card, 3 batteries, dual battery charger, Bapac battery, skeleton case, suction cup mount, carry case, external mic adapter, external mic, mic windsock, and a 12ft 3.5mm cable. Which meant I had an external mic and cable to run.

Mounted the mic to the Hard Dog hidden hitch towards the passenger side. Then I had to run the cable.

Found a plug in the scissor jack storage area. Drilled it out, ran the cable through it and popped it back in. Then proceeded to run it along the trunk and fuel door cables all the way into the center console.

It works. It works really well actually. This is where I'd post the test video. But, ah... it's not really appropriate considering I may have got carried away during testing in my neighborhood. But hey! I should have way better audio for my MATG footage now!

Also, I guess I had never removed the parcel shelf panel before in 7 years of ownership? So I had to pull the seat belt tower brace and panels for the 1st time too. Which meant removing the bolt covers of the brace. And it was annoying since they are partially under the belt guide mounting tab of the roll bar. But with some patience and careful hands I got both out with out breaking them. I then proceeded to trim them slightly to make popping the back on easier.

Which, while running the audio cable I also popped off the tank inspection panel so I could finally clean the vent valve. My tank hasn't been able to vent properly for a while. In between fill ups I could hear the tank expand from the build up of pressure and at each fill up the sound of escaping gas fumes was heard every time I remove the cap.

I followed Adam's write-up on the issue. So far so good, only been a few weeks though. But I saw Adam recently eliminated the valve altogether with a section of hose. So... can't say I'm enthused that cleaning it will be a lasting solution.

It was then time for new tires. And maybe more. I've ran BFG Sport Comp2s since the Yokohama S-Drives from the PO wore out. I feel confident enough to say I think I have found the limitations of Comp2s. I had been talking with friends for the longest about wanting to get something a bit better. And they kept telling me to get some Conti ECS. I've also been talking to a friend about getting his 15x8 silver w/ polished lip 6ULs from him. So some decisions were made, tires were ordered, and agreements came to.

Contis ECS in the center, the 6ULs with dead Neo Gens on the right, and Falken rt615k+ on the left (not mine, but hoping to get to try'em out soon). All tires are sized 205/50/15.

Picked up the wheels and tires from my friend's place.

Did that thing with placing wheels/tires in front of the car for a visualization.

But the black valve stems had to go. Ordered some silver ones.

Then procrastinated about getting the new tires mounted and balanced for a little while. Actually started work on making an intake heat shield/air box. More on that later. Buuuut... I did get the tires mounted and balanced. And once I did, on they went.

Popped in some hub-centric rings.

Before:

After:

Which I had dropped the wheels and tires off to another friend so he could drop them off with his new tires for his car at the tire shop the next morning. He then brought me mine in his car to my place so he could knock out an oil change too. That's his car in the background. He got some big boy 245 RS4s for his car.

We had our tires mounted and road force balanced at a nice local place, Clairemont Auto Repair Service. Family owned, great people, great prices. Bring'em wheels and tires off the car, only $65 for roadforce balancing.

Some pics showing fitment.

Met up with some friends to roll over to a cookout and cars thing/meet.

11. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to JamieH For This Useful Post:

Greasemonkey2000 (07-30-2018),HarryB (07-30-2018),MiataQuest (07-30-2018),Midtenn86 (08-29-2018),Roadster7 (07-30-2018),TNRooster3 (07-31-2018),tsingson (07-30-2018)

Drives
    Black & Tan '97 - Betty
    Thanks Given
    Talked about trying out a friend's Tiretail.

Got a chance to see Betty rolling. Rare sight for me. Got a crappy potato night pic of the occasion.

Mounted the Chaps/Comp2s to the Tiretail.

Which yeah, the Chaps aren't going anywhere.

Still fits nicely in the garage too.

Some detailed shots.

Some basic notes about driving with a loaded Tiretail. You notice the weight back there. You can feel it. But it doesn't really hinder you in daily driving. I found raising rear tire preesure by 2psi and stiffening the shocks a click improved the ride with the extra load.

Oh, got one of those typical gas station pics while at it too.

Back during winter, I stopped into a "touchless" car wash to knock off some ice and likely salt from when it snowed. I had a bit more knocked off that I bargained for. The high pressure jets seemed to have did a bit of work to the side stripes in on area on the driver's fender. I finally got around to replacing the section a couple nights ago.

I also have a clear coat issue going on with the driver's fender in this area.

I ah, well, I'm just dealing with it by pulling off the bits of flaking/peeling clear coat when needed with some green 3M tape. Then just polishing things up and hoping I've hidden it well enough that it's not noticed and doesn't show much. I mean, I notice it and see it showing up, just hoping others don't. Ignore this, look away, don't mind the stripe covering it. Lets get to that btw.

There, mas gooder.

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JamieH For This Useful Post:

Greasemonkey2000 (07-30-2018),Roadster7 (07-30-2018),TNRooster3 (07-31-2018),tsingson (07-30-2018)

Drives
    Black & Tan '97 - Betty
    Thanks Given
    Soo... about that intake heat shield/air box...

Last year I bought Adam's old NA8 Monsterflow intake. As well as a bunch of couplers and T-bolt clamps. I installed it all with the promise of fabbing an insulation box/eat shield/air box soon. Does a year later count as soon? No? Well, better late than never?

This all went on in between other stuff.

I got started by making a template from cardboard. Some eyeballing, a tape measure, sharpie, and wire coat hanger later (mostly eyeballing) I had the beginning of my template.

Did a bit of trimming and I had this.

Did a bit more trimming, add some brackets, and moved the filter hole to get this.

And then with some aerosol can straws I mostly, sorta, kinda found the height to the underside of the hood.

Phone camera plus voice control is handy.

Feeling mostly confident that the cardboard was now close enough, time to get some metal.

1/16" 3003 aluminum.

Within a few hours one night I had this.

Many more hours than I'd like to admit to over a couple more nights, I had actually made something.

There was a lot of fine tuning all along the way. What I have ended up with is a 2 piece design made of 3 pieces with the bottom and main filter wall pop riveted together as 1 piece and the rear wall as the other. This was done in order to be able to install and remove the filter while keeping the box tight. The main piece goes in with one bolt in the front corner, then the filter goes on. Then the rear wall is installed mounted to the main piece with 4 bolts & nuts and then mounted to the car by 2 bolts. It's a solid, sturdy design. The one thing I would like to change is possibly add some rivnuts to make assembly of the 2 pieces quicker and easier.

15. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to JamieH For This Useful Post:

Greasemonkey2000 (07-30-2018),Headcase0 (05-13-2019),MiataQuest (07-31-2018),MikeA (08-01-2018),Roadster7 (07-30-2018),TNRooster3 (07-31-2018),tsingson (07-30-2018)

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift HarryB's Avatar
    Drives
    '04 Strato Blue NB2
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,273 Times in 1,330 Posts
    Wow, what an update! Does the extra heat shielding work? Guess you place it between the lower and upper boot?

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! Greasemonkey2000's Avatar
    Drives
    2001 NB2 aka Misfire
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,425 Times in 1,233 Posts
    Excellent work on the air box, Jamie, it looks very close to the DDM Works air box! Which is a excellent product, imo.(Have one on Misfire and a Stage 1 on my nb1) Maybe add reflective tape for even more effectiveness. The 6UL's look great too!
    '01 NB2 aka MisF1re: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....218#post207218
    '97 M aka Warbird, gone but not forgotten: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....B&goto=newpost
    Instagram: @greasemonkey2000

Drives
    Black & Tan '97 - Betty
    Thanks Given
    I briefly ran it bare, unpainted as a test run. Which allowed me to check for any rubbing or other issues.

With the test run complete, it was time for paint and final fine tuning.

VHT Wrinkle Plus.

While at it, I disassembled, cleaned, reassembled, and trimmed the filter slightly.

The foam is in surprisingly good condition considering it's age. No signs of falling apart, still has good elasticity and memory.

Parts painted, filter rejuvenated, time for final install.

Testing has shown a marked improvement in IATs. Before, bare filter, IATs were on average 30-40F degrees warmer than ambient at cruising speed. After, heat shield/air box, IATs are nearly ambient, at 2-4F degrees warmer than ambient at cruising speed. Hot soak is still an issue. Though cool down time is reduced, and so far a return to near ambient temp. seems possible. As during a late night fast food run, IATs rose to nearly 170F while in the drive-thru line (which I was in for probably half an hour, lets not get into why it took so long). But on the drive home IATs quickly dropped and by the time I had made it home they were down to 95F. Temperature that night was about 80F. I'd like to think if I continued to drive around IATs would have continued to drop.

IATs were gathered through the OBD-II port with a OBD-II reader and the Torque app.

So, it works. I'd call it a success and a cold air intake now rather than a hot one. And hey, intake noise increased too, can't complain about that.

See y'all at MATG!

19. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to JamieH For This Useful Post:

Greasemonkey2000 (07-30-2018),MiataQuest (07-31-2018),MikeA (08-01-2018),Roadster7 (07-30-2018),Slampen (08-02-2018),speedypenguin (07-31-2018),TNRooster3 (07-31-2018),tsingson (07-30-2018)

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone TNRooster3's Avatar
    Drives
    chaste White, 1996 R2-Limited Eunos Roadster
    Thanks Given
    VERY Nice job!

Drives
    Black & Tan '97 - Betty
    Thanks Given
    I have not wanted to make this post at all or ever, but it must be done.

I am OK and uninjured. Some of you can attest to this as you saw me about and seemingly doing fine Friday evening and Saturday during MATG.

Sadly, unfortunately, and heartbreaking for me, Betty did not do so well.

I apologize for lying to those of you I saw and spoke to at the time during MATG about Betty. I just simply did not have it in me to tell you, or anyone really, then. I wanted to crawl up into a ball and just hide from the world, but I didn't want to put a downer on anyone or anything as well.

On Fri. the 3rd of Aug. at bout noon on Old Field Gap Rd while on a drive with friends heading towards Fontana, I lost control of Betty as I entered a left-handed curve. If you know the road, you may know it isn't as well maintained as others in the area. If you don't know it, I'm here to warn you as an example to be cautious of and look out for loose gravel on the road. All mountain roads really.

Yet, I won't say that was the sole reason for my accident. Loose gravel combined with spirited driving and driving too closely to the road's edge, which allowed for no room for correction, led to this. Though as quickly as it happened, it's possible no amount of correcting could have kept this from happening.

The shame and guilt I still feel is tremedous. I am thankful that both noone else was involved and that I came out physically uninjured. Yet, I am also greatly heartbroken. I know Betty is "just a car", but that doesn't change how I felt, how I feel, about her. I have shed tears over what happened. I still can't talk about it in detail without getting emotional. Seven and a half years is less than some have had their cars for, yet in that time I grew extremely attached to Betty, I still am.

No car has meant as much to me. I used to think naming cars was silly, then Betty entered my life. Adam possibly coined the term "forever car". Betty was, and still is that, for me. More on that in a bit.

Now, if this news isn't shocking enough, there's more. I drove Betty home, some 420 miles.

As she laid there on her roof I began inspecting her chassis. Surpringly everything looked fine, no signs or indication of damage beside a bent rear inner fenderwell and tailpipe. Once back at the tow company's lot in Robbinsville, with the help of some amazing friends, Betty was running. All she needed was some oil, water, and a set of plugs. The windshield frame was muscled back into position just enough to latch the softtop. Lots of packing tape was used to keep the windshield together and from splintering any further.

I then drove her the short distance to the apartment we were staying at for the weekend. On that drive I realized the brakes needed to be bled. Which I did the following morning. Also that morning my friends helped to muscle the windshield frame just a bit more, enough to allow the hardtop to line up and latch. An entire roll of Gorilla duct tape was used to hold it together, to keep the fiberglass from cracking and splintering any further, and to seal the passanger window. And with that, Betty was good to go.

Absolutely everything on her still works. Cruise functions as it should, A/C is nice and cold, and she drives and handles as if nothing ever happened.

It is here I thank the friends that were with me on this trip and were there for me when I needed them most. Without them I do not know what I would have done. I was an absolute mess emotionally and mentally.

I also want to say that if not for my roll bar and hardtop, I may not be here today or may have suffered a head injury. Considering where the final resting place of the driver's side was, there was the potential for me to be crushed or at the least have my head cracked opened.

Insurance has already been gone through and everything is done. She currently sits in my shop undercover until she can be fully repaired. I initially had plans to swap as much of her into another car, hence what some of you saw in the Latest NA pic thread. But after driving that car, really while driving it, I realized that in my heart, it would never be Betty. Betty is Betty, Betty is a black car. My mind tried to convince me otherwise, but my heart has refused reason.

That other car is a 1995 Laguna Blue w/ matching HT with 93k miles.

I first saw this car two years ago at MATG. And then again last year. Both times it was for sale. I met the owner, Steve, last year and helped him with the battery tie-down. Got the chance to talk with him then about the car and how he accquired the brand new Laguna HT. Since then I had thought it would be very nice if I could buy his car. I never thought that I would. Obviously never due to the circumstances that led to my purchase of the car.

Regardless, I had thought of him and his car that weekend. I even looked for him hoping he had showed up this year as well, yet he had not. My friends all know how deeply I've wanted a Laguna. I know I have professed my love of the color here on the forums. Well, my friends strongly suggested I try to get in contact with Steve and find out if he still had his car and if it was still for sale. To make a long story short, one thing led to another and I bought his car this past weekend on Fri. 24th of Aug.

I will go into more detail later about the Laguna and Steve later. Plans for it will be revealed then as well. For now I leave you with the imgur album detailing the damage Betty has suffered. While seemingly not too bad to some, the windshield frame and quarter panel damage are the main reasons she will need extensive repairs. It's also a shame about her HT, it was a very nice specimen. But I'd gladly sacrifice the HT all over again if need be to come out alive and unharmed.

I repeat, Betty will be repaired. Just going to take some time.
    Last edited by JamieH; 01-06-2019 at 03:17 PM.

22. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to JamieH For This Useful Post:

BRGNA8 (08-30-2018),DT97STO (03-26-2019),Greasemonkey2000 (08-28-2018),HarryB (08-29-2018),kung fu jesus (08-28-2018),Midtenn86 (08-29-2018),MikeA (08-31-2018),oldgrayleather (08-28-2018),Warhammer (08-28-2018)

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts
    Soooo happy you weren’t hurt!

Let go of the guilt, not worth it. Chalk it up to lessons learned and move forward.

What are your plans with the blue car (which looks gorgeous)?

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kung fu jesus For This Useful Post:

JamieH (08-28-2018),oldgrayleather (08-28-2018)

Drives
    Black & Tan '97 - Betty
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by kung fu jesus View Post
    Soooo happy you weren’t hurt!

Let go of the guilt, not worth it. Chalk it up to lessons learned and move forward.

What are your plans with the blue car (which looks gorgeous)?
    Long term, red LE interior and lots of the same stuff Betty has.

Near future, basic overall maintenance, roll bar, simple basic updates/upgrades (washer nozzles, oil pressure gauge, etc.), and some interior ergonomic upgrades/changes (ex. kept trying to rest my left elbow on a non-existant armrest).

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JamieH For This Useful Post:

kung fu jesus (08-29-2018),oldgrayleather (08-28-2018)

Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91213141516171819202122 LastLast