PDA

View Full Version : Strange noises!!

Imontalto
09-04-2014, 10:07 AM
My car sounds like it's trying to connect to dial-up while I'm driving. Anyone know what this could be?

tsingson
09-04-2014, 10:12 AM
Video clip?

kung fu jesus
09-04-2014, 10:24 AM
Needs more ambiguity before I can mis-diagnose the problem.

RotorNutFD3S
09-04-2014, 10:29 AM
Gallo-56k engine.

As stated, more details or a video would be helpful.

Imontalto
09-04-2014, 10:34 AM
I'll try and snag one on my way home from class

atank
09-04-2014, 10:46 AM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/5d/TeleGuide-terminal.jpg

BlitzWing
09-04-2014, 11:10 AM
Had something similar happen to me 4 days ago. My car was fine day to day for its short commute but one day I had to drive some 60 miles to a friends and when I pulled off the motorway I noticed a horrid sound similar to dial up but like a metal on metal scrape. I pulled over and did a bit of shopping and the sound was gone. then It dawned on me last year while I was getting my car inspected I was told my front pads were almost done.. well I guess the long drive and heat of the 80mph for some 45 mins of driving were the final straw my pads were done and needed to be swapped out. I wont know for sure till I fit the new pads on the weekend but I'm fairly sure (if not they needed doing anyway)

Imontalto
09-04-2014, 11:58 AM
https://vimeo.com/105262361
Of course it doesn't do it on the way home, but it is basically that buzzing that you can here with a lot of loud beeps thrown in and a couple other annoying sounds that remind me of the computer that tank posted. It seems to be coming from behind my gauge cluster, but I can't get down to look because when I open the door that stupid buzzer goes off telling me my keys are in the ignition.

kung fu jesus
09-04-2014, 12:01 PM
Take a video when the sound is prevalent, otherwise I say throw a few thousand in parts until you cure it. Or use a hammer.

;)

BlitzWing
09-04-2014, 12:13 PM
https://vimeo.com/105262361
Of course it doesn't do it on the way home, but it is basically that buzzing that you can here with a lot of loud beeps thrown in and a couple other annoying sounds that remind me of the computer that tank posted. It seems to be coming from behind my gauge cluster, but I can't get down to look because when I open the door that stupid buzzer goes off telling me my keys are in the ignition.

Possible short? Cant really think if their is much stuff behind the dash that's not electrical. From my PC experience this sounds like something called coil whine its a sign of age but its rare you can hear it with capacitors as small as the ones in the miata/MX5 dash. Often you cant even really hear the effects unless its larger capacitor like the ones in a PC's PSU. On the Eunos (RHD) the fuse box is under the drivers side of the dash I'm guessing that's the same position for the Maita might be worth taking a look see if anything has popped but hasn't broke the connection.

Imontalto
09-04-2014, 12:30 PM
Possible short? Cant really think if their is much stuff behind the dash that's not electrical. From my PC experience this sounds like something called coil whine its a sign of age but its rare you can hear it with capacitors as small as the ones in the miata/MX5 dash. Often you cant even really hear the effects unless its larger capacitor like the ones in a PC's PSU. On the Eunos (RHD) the fuse box is under the drivers side of the dash I'm guessing that's the same position for the Maita might be worth taking a look see if anything has popped but hasn't broke the connection.

I'll take a look and give it a try! And if that doesn't work...

I say throw a few thousand in parts until you cure it. Or use a hammer.

;)

...I'll throw a couple thousand hammers at it!

;)

RotorNutFD3S
09-04-2014, 12:49 PM
On an NA, noises like that are usually the speedo cable going bad, especially if it's speed dependent. The beeps thing sort of throws me off, but I'd start there.

Oh, if you hate the buzzer reach under the steering column until you feel the relay that's vibrating, that's the buzzer. Unplug it and voila, no more annoyance. However, just always make sure to turn off your lights because it's the same buzzer that reminds you about such things.

Imontalto
09-04-2014, 02:47 PM
I looked around at my fuses and they all seem to be fine. I did remove the annoying door buzzer to see if I could hear it better, but it seems to have died down to that dull buzz, and I still can't locate where it's coming from. I removed the airbag light a while back, to keep it from turning on behind my RevLimiter gauges. Would that be able to cause all that noise?

Martin
09-04-2014, 03:04 PM
Well, there is supposed to be a buzzer that warns if the airbag light is out. Try unplugging the airbag module. It's a blue box by the steering column.

kung fu jesus
09-04-2014, 03:14 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKDPQv652Lc

Imontalto
09-04-2014, 05:31 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKDPQv652Lc

Yes!! That's the stupid beeping, but it has only happened twice, and it hasn't been quite as organized as that. The beeps were more sporadic and unorganized. So you're saying that the solution is to buy a motorcycle! Got it!

kung fu jesus
09-04-2014, 05:47 PM
Let me guess...you have an aftermarket steering wheel with the airbag removed? That is the airbag computer chiming to let you know the airbag is not right.

OK. You have two choices: make a resistor pack to 'trick' the airbag computer, thinking the airbag is still there, OR remove the airbag computer completely and reconnect the lead to the horn.

The airbag computer is under your dash, driver's side, above the steering column. It is light blue. You will need to remove the center panel, under the steering column to get at it and lay upside down in the footwell. I cannot remember the procedure, it's been a long time since I did this.

Imontalto
09-04-2014, 06:16 PM
Let me guess...you have an aftermarket steering wheel with the airbag removed? That is the airbag computer chiming to let you know the airbag is not right.

OK. You have two choices: make a resistor pack to 'trick' the airbag computer, thinking the airbag is still there, OR remove the airbag computer completely and reconnect the lead to the horn.

The airbag computer is under your dash, driver's side, above the steering column. It is light blue. You will need to remove the center panel, under the steering column to get at it and lay upside down in the footwell. I cannot remember the procedure, it's been a long time since I did this.

I actually am still running my stock steering wheel with the airbag. But I'm fairly confident that the airbag is junk at this point anyway, so I need to just get rid of the computer and the whole shabang. I'll look up how to do it, hopefully that will shut it up. Thanks Jesus!

kung fu jesus
09-04-2014, 07:52 PM
There are two blue boxes. One is the airbag ECU, the other is a rechargeable backup battery. It would probably mean the battery died or something.

atank
09-04-2014, 08:24 PM
^^ I Love that piece of crap!!!!!!!!