PDA

View Full Version : Brake pad comparison charts?

BlitzWing
09-04-2014, 11:06 AM
Just wondering if their was a site or article comparing the many different brake pads and could give a brake down of the pro's and con's and put them in a league table in a few categories such as brake power, brake fade, dust, longevity and value?

I ask since I had to replace my front pads and while I was hunting I found it hard to find some baseline numbers I could compare. I ended up going with EBC Green's since they seem to be the defualt go to fast road pad in the UK but I'd of loved to have known how they stack against OEM, Mintex, Brembro, Hawk and PMU etc.

TimTim
09-04-2014, 11:39 AM
That would be great but I feel a lot of us ,when contributing data, would bring very qualitative observations. Were you thinking more like a collection of manufacturer specs?

FWIW, I recently transitioned from OEM pads to Hawk HPS 5.0 and have some opinions about them, but no metrics

BlitzWing
09-04-2014, 12:31 PM
I think both have their place but its hard doing it off peoples opinions given how so many other factors could change the results. Like wise I would not be shocked if manufactures didn't use a standard rating system between them and had different views on what they consider basic things like "hard braking" that actually could differ a lot when put on paper.

If I had the skills I'd love to make a jig using the stock Miata hub only bolting it to an electric motor I could control via a laptop and have a normal brake cable connect to some sort of hydraulic pump. Make a basic test and see what the numbers say.

wannafbody
09-04-2014, 05:05 PM
I'd go with EBC red for street and Yellow for a street/track pad.