PDA

View Full Version : EGR Valve removal?

AutOtaku
09-06-2014, 10:18 PM
*i used the search function and nothing was found*
My 96 threw a CEL yesterday and i had it checked out, said the EGR valve was shot. Has anyone deleted theres? what would i need to do the delete if so? Pros? Cons? All positive input is appreciated, thanks

revlimiter
09-06-2014, 10:22 PM
You can't delete it on a stock-ECU car. It's required for emissions.

I don't have one on my 95. The turbo has no provision for it and my ECU is controlling the VICS instead of the EGR. I've had no issues with the delete. I've passed clean for 4 years now.

AutOtaku
09-06-2014, 10:29 PM
I guess that didnt cross my mind :l emissions that is.....

Hyper
09-06-2014, 10:56 PM
I have a usedone if you need to buy it cheap, contact me

AutOtaku
09-06-2014, 11:19 PM
I will, i just have to find a job first so i have some money......

Crossusn
09-06-2014, 11:53 PM
Aww man I wanted to delete my EGR.. just put headers on and if I dont then I have to buy a new tube to go from the headers to the EGR since the last one was "rust welded" to the manifold.

JamieH
09-07-2014, 12:59 AM
Do a simple check yourself to see if the EGR valve is still opening and closing. Hook a vacuum pump to it and see if it's opening and closing when vacuum is applied and released. If so, chances are the electrical side is fine. EGR valve comes off easily, 2 12mm bolts hold it on. There may be a small plate bracket held on by a single 10mm bolt you need to remove to access the EGR valve bolts.

Then you'll want to clean it out and clean out the EGR pathway in the intake that runs from back to front. Best way to do it is with some metal tube brushes and carb cleaner. This probably needs to be done regardless as it's likely never been done and is probably pretty dirty. You'll need to remove the throttlebody so you can see that you've reached the end of the pathway. Will also allow you to get to it from the other side. Throttlebody comes off easily enough as well and you can leave the small coolant hoses attached to it and it'll lay down far enough to be out of the way. Slip the throttle cable off 1st, then remove the two 12mm bolts from the bottom and 2 12mm nuts from the top.

You can likely find some cheap tube brushes at any place that sells firearm accessories. Just look for barrel cleaning rods. You'll want some that are flexible and one piece so you can get in from the rear and not worry about them breaking off while inside the intake.

Oh, and remove the vacuum lines that run to the the EGR valve and run a wire clothes hanger through them to make sure they aren't blocked. Plus, check for cracks. I wouldn't be surprised if the line running to the back of the valve that sends signal to the EGP (exhaust gas pressure) sensor is cracked where it slips over the nipple for the EGR vlave from years of heat cycles making it brittle.

You can usually get away with clipping off the ends with cracks and reusing the lines. If not, they're vacuum lines and are cheap enough to get from any parts store.

EDIT:

Almost forgot, the vacuum lines running to the EGR valve are likely going to be stubborn to remove. Just try to twist them back and forth as you try to pull them off. If that doesn't work, carefully slicing them down the side lengthwise will get them right off. And if you only cut them as little as needed to get them off you can still reuse them. If not, like I said, cheap to replace.

AutOtaku
09-07-2014, 03:14 PM
Well, I open my hood today out of boredum, tapped the valve, and jiggled one of the vacuum lines....AND THE CEL WENT OFF! I DONT UNDERSTAND THIS SORCERY D:

XMAN
10-14-2014, 08:20 PM
Florida does not have emission testing. S0... What are the pros, cons and problems of removing it ? At some point after I get maintenance caught up I'll be doing totally exhaust, header and so on. Any input ? Smitty

wannafbody
10-14-2014, 10:02 PM
The pro would be that you aren't recirculating burnt hydrocarbons back into the engine. Although at this point, the top end is already gunked up.