PDA

View Full Version : What kind of intake?

Littleredmx5
09-10-2014, 11:22 PM
What kind of intake would you guys recommend me getting for car? Also does it even make any type of difference?

AutOtaku
09-10-2014, 11:32 PM
Info on car? 1.6? 1.8?

Littleredmx5
09-10-2014, 11:38 PM
It's a 1.6 1991

fwdtamiya
09-11-2014, 12:00 AM
An intake is an intake on these car, maybe a slight power boost, but probably negligible between brands. Run a clocked AFM and more spec miata tricks for a better gain.

http://specmiataclassifieds.com/SMF/index.php?topic=934.0

Inspecta
09-11-2014, 01:18 PM
I kept the stock piece on the intake side and used a hump coupler to connect another intake pipe, with a 45 bend, to it. Then I used a square to round afm adapter with a 91 prelude si filter.
Works great for using what I had in the garage and it does not look that bad (I was surprised). I care more about function and being frugal.

Sean5294
09-11-2014, 03:37 PM
I have a K&N Typhoon on my NB. Got a good deal on it from a member here. Not sure if it increased power but it does give the car a nice growl.

atlnb
09-11-2014, 03:46 PM
ITG Maxogen for the largest increase in power and torque. Same company that made intake systems for various motorsports including F1. The price is crazy but they have actual figures demonstrating the power increase.

here's the link with the dyno:
http://www.itgairfilters.com/downloads/mx5.pdf

fwdtamiya
09-11-2014, 06:37 PM
ITG Maxogen for the largest increase in power and torque. Same company that made intake systems for various motorsports including F1. The price is crazy but they have actual figures demonstrating the power increase.

here's the link with the dyno:
http://www.itgairfilters.com/downloads/mx5.pdf
"Back to back test with ITG filter Kit"

Red line = test2
Green line = test6

They're blatantly lying. It would make me question what else they changed on the car, but it doesn't really make power until 5500rpm anyway. It would be cool if they posted an actual dyno with AFR's, rather than someone's excel graphing skills, where they're also able to change any number they feel like. Okay, I'm done hating.

atlnb
09-11-2014, 07:18 PM
To each their own. I'm thinking they took the best out of a series of dyno runs and posted. Plenty of people use run #_ and compare to run #_ to prove results.. FM does that all the time, to name a trusted company. With that price point, that can go toward a flat top or seat time. The OP asked a question and I provided an answer. If I had the money, I'd get it. Okay, I'm done

Inspecta
09-11-2014, 08:00 PM
If your stock intake is in good shape I would just stick with that and the paper filters.

My car came with a supercharger that I removed, so I had to make something custom ish.

revlimiter
09-11-2014, 08:03 PM
The main purpose of an N/A intake is to make a pleasant noise. Honestly. After 20 years of modifying cars, I've come to that conclusion. If you get hung up on dyno numbers, you'll just be disappointed.

COLD air is the most important thing. If you put a cone filter next to your header, it's going to suck in very hot air. If you put an airbox around it, the effect will be minimized, but it WILL heat soak. If you duct cold air to that airbox, you'll see some power gains.

The easiest type of intake to install that will produce gains on a 1.6 is the Randall type that connects the airbox to the cowl area. It's not super sexy, but it makes power.

If you wanna play with some 3D printing, check out this thread. http://www.miataturbo.net/engine-performance-56/3d-printed-intake-n-na-miatas-76193/
THAT gorgeous monstrosity will also produce some nice power.

As for me, I'm happy with a shorty intake on my NB that makes a lovely noise. It's like 3/4 of IRTB noise. Pure music, though not as nice as the turbo symphony on my NA.

Flyin 92
09-11-2014, 08:24 PM
I have an RB elbow and ARC chamber on my 1.6. Combine that with the higher flowing exhaust (and soon-to-be-installed maxim header) and I know some gains will be made. The car feels livelier at higher RPM and makes a muffled ITB noise, but that's about it. The intake duct on the lid supplies fresh air to filter, which lowered intake temps, but again, I don't have definitive proof it did more than drop temps a couple degrees.

I'm 99% sure I'll go with a rotrex kit down the road, but I'm happy with N/A power for now.

AutOtaku
09-11-2014, 09:11 PM
I have an RB elbow and ARC chamber on my 1.6. .
I've been wondering about the ARC chambers and if they get terrible heat soak, ive been wanting to invest in one.....

revlimiter
09-11-2014, 09:18 PM
Any intake that puts a cone filter near the header is gonna heat soak.
Any intake that doesn't have a source of cold air feeding it is gonna heat soak.
Any intake that has a heat shield protecting it but NO source of cold air is gonna heat soak.

:)

atlnb
09-11-2014, 09:19 PM
if it's just the ARC tube, i heard it's not really worth it. Just cool JDM style points. if the ARC filter is used in conjunction, it'll net a little more. But when you think about it, it's very difficult to make power on our engines regardless outside of doing something drastic. it's just a pipe with a filter on it. basic bolt ons don't do very much, but you can get something out of it when used as a system with other engine bolt ons as Flyin' 92 stated. the flat-top is definitely worth it and a regular intake system (DIY/store bought) will net additional gains as well.

fwdtamiya
09-11-2014, 09:25 PM
I've been wondering about the ARC chambers and if they get terrible heat soak, ive been wanting to invest in one.....
If you don't care about swag points then wrap it and it should be significantly better than it was before or OEM.

AutOtaku
09-11-2014, 09:56 PM
My plan is to find a chamber used (which will probably be beat up), perhaps wrap it, and then find an ARC airbox used. I know this will amount in quite a bit of money but, eh who cares? I understand these cars arent power houses and little can be done with bolt ons with an N/A....

BoBo
09-11-2014, 10:04 PM
Op, if your after the intake sound get the RB intake. Not only it's carb legal, but it looks cleaner in the engine bay than a Home Depot pipe that you can buy for so much cheaper. Of course if you just want cheap noise , Home Depot & Ebay is the way to go. Randal cowl is a nice design, but a standalone w/ AFM delete would be the best option for power. At that point money is better spent elsewhere.

Aftermarket CAI are mostly for the nice sound. It's a good investment if your not planning on boosting anytime soon. I had all RB bolt-ons before going turbo on my old 1.6 and I remember that the 4-1 extractor made the most improvement compared to the Intake and the power pulse exhaust. But if you have a standalone and a good tuner, you can hit 125whp easy and the pickup is nice as well. I made 138whp with a Rebello prepped head and integral stage 2 cams on top of the bolt-ons. Looking at it now, it sounds silly to be spending that kind of money on NA power, but in my case it was a fun experience since I already had an MR2 Turbo and a v8 on the side. I have never tried a 2.0 stroker but I bet it would be a really nice experience.

WASABI
09-11-2014, 10:41 PM
I have the basic Racing Beat cold air intake/K&N oiled filter, but as it's been said, it can suffer from heat soak. However, driving on those cool Autumn nights, you can tell the cold air does it's magic.

http://www.fagerquist.com/miata/build/engine 2012.jpg

Oh yeah, she does sound nice!

AutOtaku
09-11-2014, 10:46 PM
BoBo thats quite good power for a 1.6 with minimal work done :D

fwdtamiya
09-11-2014, 11:16 PM
My plan is to find a chamber used (which will probably be beat up), perhaps wrap it, and then find an ARC airbox used. I know this will amount in quite a bit of money but, eh who cares? I understand these cars arent power houses and little can be done with bolt ons with an N/A....

http://page17.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/v365915570

AutOtaku
09-11-2014, 11:51 PM
http://page17.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/v365915570
!!!!!! i want to jump on it!!!!! was that also 2000 yen shipping??

fwdtamiya
09-12-2014, 12:01 AM
It says shipping is M size , depends on where it's being sent to. I can't read any of those :lol:
http://livedoor.blogimg.jp/zbk13163/imgs/7/0/70c33d27.jpg

The price will also go up (the last two I saw sold for $100), then you factor in continental shipping + international shipping + middleman fees (using TetsuyaGarage or Buyee). It will probably end up being $175 realistically.

BoBo
09-12-2014, 01:07 AM
Thanks, The Megasquirt really opened up the Rebello Head w/ stage 2 cams on my 92 miata. I can't believe I paid about 2k for Rebello to build up the head. Port & Polish 1mm over sized Intake valves really adds up. I hope the engine on my miata last another 2 years. By that time I should have enough funds to do some engine work. Unless I end up selling my 96 to get a MSM.

BoBo
09-12-2014, 01:13 AM
I have the basic Racing Beat cold air intake/K&N oiled filter, but as it's been said, it can suffer from heat soak. However, driving on those cool Autumn nights, you can tell the cold air does it's magic.

http://www.fagerquist.com/miata/build/engine 2012.jpg

Oh yeah, she does sound nice!
Looks good, I'm debating about buying an RB intake myself but I would have to remove my FM stb. Take care of that car, I rarely see BRG's now a days.

AutOtaku
09-12-2014, 09:57 AM
It says shipping is M size , depends on where it's being sent to. I can't read any of those :lol:
http://livedoor.blogimg.jp/zbk13163/imgs/7/0/70c33d27.jpg

The price will also go up (the last two I saw sold for $100), then you factor in continental shipping + international shipping + middleman fees (using TetsuyaGarage or Buyee). It will probably end up being $175 realistically.
I searched the size after you posted it XD i could read some of that but couldnt find a definant. When you think about it $175 isnt that bad considering there $400 new

Inspecta
09-12-2014, 10:24 AM

Intake, full exhaust, upgraded head, cams and stand alone is not minimal work. :) That is indeed good power.

AutOtaku
09-12-2014, 12:18 PM
Minimal in the sense that you didnt have to crack open the bottom end or raise the compression, change stroke/bore, stuff like that haha

99blkx
10-12-2014, 04:14 PM
I picked up a racing beat elbow and K&N for my 1.8. As stated there isn't really any power to be gained but it sure does sound neat. I also just picked up an extra headlight cover and am researching NACA ducts to get some cool air in there. I'll probably do some cool tape or insulation as well. We'll see how it all works...

Bummer
10-12-2014, 07:52 PM

Joefis Intake. Obviously not the only mod, but this is a stock internal "build".