PDA

View Full Version : DIY Horn Button Relocation

6y mazda
09-14-2014, 11:33 AM
In the meantime, today I finalized my horn button since the horn button was not working with my quick release steering wheel.

http://i.imgur.com/8QlZoCY.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/3oliiUX.jpg

Paul B
09-25-2014, 07:07 AM
Paint job looks fantastic!

Any help on wiring up that horn button. That's what I need to do with my car, but I struggle to find the proper wire in that cluster under the dash. And where did you source that button for it? Any local auto shops around here don't have it.

6y mazda
09-25-2014, 07:36 AM
Paint job looks fantastic!

Any help on wiring up that horn button. That's what I need to do with my car, but I struggle to find the proper wire in that cluster under the dash. And where did you source that button for it? Any local auto shops around here don't have it.

Thanks Paul!

The horn button was easy. I bought the little button on ebay. It was a pack of 3 for like 2 bucks lol. I still have two more I'm not using. I could probably send you one in an envelope for the price of the stamp. PM me if youre interested.

And the wire is easy to find. You just take off the plastic cover around the steering column (4 screws) and you'll see a clump of wires wrapped in electrical tape (see pic in above post). Take the tape off and you'll see two wires are together and the 3rd wire is by itself. That 3rd wire is the horn wire...it is also the only wire with 2 colors (has a stripe along with the solid color). That's the wire you cut and tap into, then just run the wire behind the dash to the new switch. The wire is 16 or 18 gauge. I used 14 gauge (was just guessing the size) and it was a lot thicker than the original wire, but it worked.

The switch has a hot and a ground connector. Run the ground wire to a bolt on the firewall near the foot pedals. And that's about it.

Paul B
09-25-2014, 07:54 AM
This helps a ton!! I was trying to trace the wire from under the hood to under the dash then through the electrical tape....ugh. f that haha thanks for the nice write up on that. Cant wait to get my horn working again.

Ill pm you for one of those buttons! I appreciate it.

tsingson
09-25-2014, 08:44 AM
Placed in DIY section because of great information!

Tkblazer
09-25-2014, 10:08 AM
Good info, I need to wire my horn button to get it to work