PDA

View Full Version : Wheel/Tire combo setups?

Phatmiata
09-29-2014, 01:16 PM
Moved here for answers ................

Hello There. I just bought a Miata

Know anything about Wheel/Tire combo setups? I was looking at a 15x7 +20 Rota Grid V with a 195/50/15 Hankook Tire.

or suspension?

theothersawyer
09-29-2014, 01:20 PM
What exactly is the question? Is that a good wheel/tire combo? Or should you get suspension instead? Need more info!

atxsbigwalt
10-17-2014, 02:27 PM
as someone who purchased wheels before suspension in the past, go with nice coilovers first. Sucks having aftermarket wheels while on old suspension riding 4x4. A decent set of yokohama tires on stock wheels should be around $350 installed.

plus, used tire setups go for sale second hand all the time, suspension not so much.

Pyr0monk3y
10-17-2014, 02:35 PM
That might require a little roll to the fenders. I have 15x7's +30 and had a slight rub when when riding on the bumpstops.

tsingson
10-17-2014, 03:01 PM
On my NB, I am running 15x8 +25 with 195/50/15. We did a roll just in case but I haven't even come close. My car is slightly lowered also.

Dandy
10-17-2014, 06:07 PM
NWood92, you need to 'splain yourself, son. I'm guessing this is for an NA Miata.

If the question is which should you do first, I'd recommend tires, then suspension, then rims (w/ tires). Big wide wheels are not going to perform well or look their best on a higher riding stock suspension. On my current 93LE, I addressed wheels and tires first. However the 93LE came stock with performance oriented Bilstein shocks and a lower than average stock ride height to start with. The real performance upgrade was the z-rated tires over the stock h-rated tires. The wheels (Rota RB) were actually a performance negative in terms of weight over my stock BBS wheels but it was a look I wanted and they let me run a little wider tire. To me, the compromise is minimal.

For the suspension look at lowering springs and a performance shock together (never a lowering spring on stock shocks) or a coil-over package. Don't forget about bump stops as they affect the quality of the ride as well. Also consider stiffer sway bars for flatter feeling confidence inducing handling.

As for the 15x7 +20 Rota Grid V with a 195/50/15 Hankook tire combination, you can expect to need to roll the fenders with that low an offset. Theoretically the lower offset will put stress on the wheel bearings but plenty of people run this low or lower with no catastrophic consequences that I am aware of. The 195/50/15 tire size will fit fine on 15x7 rims as would the slightly wider 205/50/15. I can't speak to the Hankooks specifically.

The Rota Grid V is a good looking wheel and fairly light weight as all of the Rota line appears to be. Rota wheels are lower priced wheels manufactured in the Philippines. They are criticized for producing knock-offs of popular Japanese wheels but they are a legit company with no history of patent infringement that I am aware of. Plenty of people run Rotas on the streets with no problems. I've heard of cracked rims on racing vehicles but that is not what they are made for and besides, racers break everything eventually. That's the nature of pushing the limits.