PDA

View Full Version : Which Clutch to get?

Cxmoney
10-01-2014, 06:44 AM
here comes the noob.... I know a lot about customization, but nothing about modifying the drivetrain, just to be completely honest.

now with that out of the way...

if I keep my car, I am planning on running ITBs(AE101 with T3 adapter), however, there is a *SLIGHT* chance that i might ditch the ITBs and just do the FMII turbo route. but as of right now, it is ITBs.

now i am planning on buying a lot of parts for my car this month. new radiator, clutch setup from firewall to slave, oil cooler kit, etc. i am also planning on buying a clutch as well. however i have no idea which clutch to get. the ones i am currently looking at are

1. Exedy stage 1
2. Exedy stage 2
3. FM stage 1

to be completely honest i have seen quite a number of reviews of the FM clutch on CR and i really just want to steer away from those as I do not have the time or patience to deal with a possible failing clutch or any related issues due to my car being my daily driver.

i have no idea what power levels i will make, or anything for that matter. i am modifying for the fun factor, not for power factor.

so my main question is, What clutch would you recommend?

thanks for any and all the help!

Cxmoney
10-01-2014, 06:49 AM
also if you have any other recommendations for clutches, feel free to let me know! those 3 are just the main ones i have seen most use.

psulja
10-01-2014, 06:49 AM
I killed my FM1 in less than 2 months of street driving. Mind you that was at 14psi on an FMII with about 200 break-in miles before burnouts and racing started happening.

Haven't had the Exedy. What about the SuperMiata clutch from 949Racing? No, not the twin disc.

Dandy
10-01-2014, 07:51 AM
If you really aren't sure about increased power, I wouldn't look much past an OEM or equivalent clutch. You won't have any complaints as a daily driver set up and you will not have made a huge investment if you decide you need a beefier unit to run more power in the future.

Cxmoney
10-01-2014, 08:02 AM
I searched for the supermiata clutch on 949 website, but only found the $1,100 one. Haha. Maybe I looked over it because I am pretty damn tired, but I am pretty sure it is not there. I even tried googling it.

Like I sad, I have no idea what the power levels will be. Chances are I will stay with the ITB setup due to I already have the parts in line. However I might catch a turbo bug and want to boost, but that will be months down the line. With all the maintenance I am doing, my car should handle anything I throw at it. I still want to do a 99 head swap as well.

So if I can find the supermiata clutch, would that be a good choice? Or will the exedy 1 be good enough? Do I even need to worry about a lightweight flywheel?

Thanks!

psulja
10-01-2014, 09:09 AM
As far as flywheel; going boost don't bother. Staying NA go lightweight to help rev quicker

Let me see if I can find the clutch or if I was thinking of something else

psulja
10-01-2014, 09:15 AM
Ya it's a thing. Maybe email them? Here's the link for the disc replacement but I'm sure there's a kit.

http://949racing.com/Replacement-Disc-Sport-Clutch.aspx

Phatmiata
10-01-2014, 09:23 AM
ACT Heavy Duty Stage 2 Clutch will handle 300+ hp. 270ftlb That is what I had in the 96 Miata.

http://www.good-win-racing.com/miata/images/items/GWR-031.jpg

BlitzWing
10-01-2014, 01:55 PM
similar boat myself. My clutch has developed a nasty rattle so I think the bearing is fried also the plate must be a good 10 years old or more as I have no documents of it ever being swapped so seems best to change the lot. Thinking of going with Exedy stage 1 as it seems like the best bang for the buck. It does not help that getting anything other then Exedy would involve hunting a supplier down in the UK or paying out my ass. ACT for instantce only seem to deal with Moss Europe but the retail is a good chunk more then the Exedy.

tsingson
10-01-2014, 02:41 PM
if I keep my car,

now i am planning on buying a lot of parts for my car this month.

:shrug::wtf:

Back to the question, myself I would definitely setup for the turbo power even if you go with the ITBs just simply because you may sell the ITBs and go boost. I know you probably don't stay stagnant very long so just prepare for the worst.

Cxmoney
10-01-2014, 06:34 PM
I am on the fence 80/20 about keeping the car. Haha. Chances are I will keep it, but there is always a chance I can sell it. But I do love the damn thing and have put in a lot of work in it over the years.

As for the clutch, I am still undecided. I really like the FM happy meal, but damn after reading about the failures and issues, it just doesn't seem like it is worth it. :(

I will be ordering one along with all the other parts in roughly 2 weeks or so. So I still have a little time to decide.

Phatmiata
10-01-2014, 08:05 PM
Such a tease lol

Cxmoney
10-01-2014, 08:39 PM
I cant help it! I am so flippity floppy. haha. the times I do want to part out, I am for it for like 5 minutes, then I think about all the work and time I put into it and I decide not to. haha. damn my mind!

Slampen
10-02-2014, 03:14 AM
I really like the FM happy meal, but damn after reading about the failures and issues, it just doesn't seem like it is worth it. :(

As FM stated in the installation instruction that came with the Happy Meal, most of the failures are because people dont bother reading the installation instructions. And often when people that think they know it all tries to install it.

What would I know, I have never installed a clutch. :)

Cxmoney
10-02-2014, 04:56 AM
haha. id read the instructions step by step since I have never done a clutch swap really. I did one when I replaced an engine and trans in my old Miata, that that was easy since the whole drivetrain was out of the car. this time I just plan on removing the trans only since I have no reason to pull the engine. gah. its going to be a pain.

tsingson
10-02-2014, 07:07 AM
I am on the fence 80/20 about keeping the car. Haha.

On the fence usually means 50/50 or something close to it, right? 80/20 means you are in one of the yards.

You also know I am busting your balls on this because I know that you will be keeping that car.

mx54life
10-02-2014, 03:10 PM
these....http://www.good-win-racing.com/Mazda-Performance-Part/61-1001S.html?id=NXJXWj9h

Carbon clutch! I have driven one of these, not the exact brand but yes OEM like feel. I guess you get what you pay for. Will be my next combo definitely.

etikoner
10-02-2014, 03:13 PM
If you're staying NA for sure > 1.6 light weight flywheel and 1.6 exedy stage two clutch.

Turbo Keep stock flywheel, and go with the clutch from 949 racing. ( I see they removed it) :/

I'd stay away from FM's stuff. Most everything they sell has a story to go along with it.

kung fu jesus
10-03-2014, 11:15 AM
ACT. Exedy only if you plan to stay under 200hp.

Cxmoney
10-03-2014, 12:47 PM
Hmmm... Really wanted to stay with a $300 clutch to be honest, but win all these reviews of the ACT... Damn. Might have to get one. But chances are pretty high I'll be under 200hp for a good while. At least another year or so. Getting out of the military soon so I don't have much funds to play around with. I have 90% of the parts required for the ITBs, I still need the megasquirt PNP2, and some injectors and some other odds and ends, but for the most part I've got most of them.

I also need to get all the parts needed for the 99 head swap as well. Tired of ticking HLAs, plus I can use a MSM cam!

Tkblazer
10-03-2014, 03:20 PM
I'm running a 1.6 oem exedy with a 7lb fidanza flywheel and its awesome with a stock 1.8

Dandy
10-03-2014, 03:47 PM
I'm running a 1.6 oem exedy with a 7lb fidanza flywheel and its awesome with a stock 1.8

No chatter with the 7lb. flywheel?

Tkblazer
10-03-2014, 03:49 PM
Nope revs up nice and quick too

Cxmoney
10-03-2014, 04:13 PM
Wait, what?

Why would you run a 1.6 clutch on a 1.8 engine?

Martin
10-03-2014, 04:16 PM
1.6 parts are smaller and lighter. Lets the 1.8 rev more freely.

Tkblazer
10-03-2014, 04:28 PM
I think I read somewhere that a lot of the autox guys do it. I like that the car doesn't bog down when the ac is on

BoBo
10-03-2014, 04:38 PM
I have the Exedy stage 1 on my 96, and it can get loud every now and then. I would go with FM1 or FM2 happy meal. I mean the Exedy is not a bad clutch but there are better clutch kit's out there.

JLBMX5
10-03-2014, 04:58 PM
I purchased an ebay fx stage 1 lightweight clutch and flywheel combo last year . Installed with a 1.8 motor I purchased. The pilot bearing froze up inside the flywheel and the clutch chatter before thst I could not stand . I purchased the flyin miata stage 1 kit with 13lb flywheel. The flywheel is nice and quiet and I do not have any clutch slipping issues what so ever. It was worth the 750.00 shipped and I wish I would of done that the first time. I have put about 3000 miles on happymeal and still runs strong as day it was installed.

Cxmoney
10-03-2014, 11:17 PM
Hmmmmmmmmmmmm......

Touch choices man. Damn! Haha.