PDA

View Full Version : MadaboutMX5's I've lost count bought another MX5 post.

Madaboutmx5s
10-13-2014, 09:56 AM
OK a fitting username and a addicitive personality doesn't help when it comes to impulse buys.

Seeing as I have put my 3 roadsters into storage for winter (unless we get a nice day) the drive way seemed a little empty and I spotted this roadster for sale on autotrader so phoned the buyer and did a deal without seeing it first hand. Lost count but well into the 50's for number of MK1 MX5s. This will be my fourth MK1 RS Limited.

Though not confirmed in the advert or the seller from the looks of it the car it is a rare (ish) MK1 RS Limited. For a change it still has the RS Limited seats in it which have been retrimmed in red leather (so look similar to the Spirit Type R seats in the special edition FD RX7s) plus has the lightweight 15' BBS wheels. Rarer then all of this though is it has a M2 1028 steering wheel. Bought it unseen so don't know if it has any engine modifications but has a recent (ish) hood and I like it so a deal was done. Here are the photos from the advert. Also has the RS side skirts which were a dealer optional extra.

Here are some photos:

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn216/madaboutmx5s/image_zps69f52efa.jpg
http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn216/madaboutmx5s/image_zps060479c1.jpg
http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn216/madaboutmx5s/image_zpsf265e246.jpg

Plans for it are probably (the initial thought had been to out the red leather Recaros in my Pitcrew) but seems a shame to split a RS Limited as finding complete cars is getting more difficult and this may have some long term investment appeal.

vindi49
10-13-2014, 10:12 AM
Ha ha, now why doesn't this surprise me!! Nice find .... have to admit with all the new found space on my drive I've been looking around as well!

Russell.

Madaboutmx5s
10-13-2014, 10:49 AM
Ha ha, now why doesn't this surprise me!! Nice find .... have to admit with all the new found space on my drive I've been looking around as well!

Russell.

Yeah I managed a week without a spare car on the drive way! The black roadster was supposed to be the semi daily mx5 but moving more towards hobby car. This will be the semi daily for now I think. Think it's got a bit of investment value too as is a complete RS limited even if the seats have been retrimed in red leather.

Dandy
10-13-2014, 11:01 AM
Wow! This car looks great in its stockish form.

Phatmiata
10-13-2014, 11:31 AM
awesome!! I don't suppose you would part with that Horn Button would you? I have plenty to trade!!

Madaboutmx5s
10-13-2014, 11:43 AM
Wow! This car looks great in its stockish form.

Yeah kind of hoping might have nice manifold or induction kit as not seen any engine photos as based on the work done on the seats and M2 1028 wheel might be lucky and have a induction kit, exhaust manifold.

awesome!! I don't suppose you would part with that Horn Button would you? I have plenty to trade!!

I let you know mate. I think it's a m2 1028 wheel though so I'd rather keep it complete.

fwdtamiya
10-13-2014, 11:49 AM
That's one tasteless interior. :lol: Messed up door panels and all that red needs to go if you want an investment I think. Do you think the red horn is a replica or an original 1028 that was painted over?

Overlooking a few parts, that is an awesome pick up. It would be nice if we had the availability of such JDM treasures in the USA!

Phatmiata
10-13-2014, 11:59 AM
That's one tasteless interior. :lol: Messed up door panels and all that red needs to go if you want an investment I think. Do you think the red horn is a replica or an original 1028 that was painted over?

Overlooking a few parts, that is an awesome pick up. It would be nice if we had the availability of such JDM treasures in the USA!

The M2 Horn Button is legit, it is in the M2 parts catalog, also check Road&Ster #1 you will see it was offered in Yellow (Stock) or optional , Red or Blue from the M2 Parts store.

If it is a real M2 wheel it would be a 360mm or 365mm IIRC, not sure if the wheel will have black or white stitch though. The 1001 and 1002 had white stitch. I think Steve Durman has a OEM yellow M2 horn button? Not sure if it sold with my old car or not?

Madaboutmx5s
10-13-2014, 12:04 PM

I've bought it unseen so hoping it's ok. as the steering wheel looks like a m2 1028 wheel not sure what's been done with the horn. Got to admit I love the RS kevlar recaros and have them in the silver car and white car. If the car is no good think these will end up in the black roadster though that would be a shame as getting more and more difficult to find a complete RS limited here or Japan as a lot have been robbed for the seats (and then the light weight wheels).

Madaboutmx5s
10-13-2014, 12:06 PM
The M2 Horn Button is legit, it is in the M2 parts catalog, also check Road&Ster #1 you will see it was offered in Yellow (Stock) or optional , Red or Blue from the M2 Parts store.

If it is a real M2 wheel it would be a 360mm or 365mm IIRC, not sure if the wheel will have black or white stitch though. The 1001 and 1002 had white stitch. I think Steve Durman has a OEM yellow M2 horn button? Not sure if it sold with my old car or not?

Thanks Randy for the info. One of the reasons I love Mazdaroadster is the knowledge on here for the Jdm parts I like is second to none. Once ive got the car home I get some better photos. Hoping it's ok as rash purchase unseen!

bogaut
10-13-2014, 12:14 PM
You uk guys are so lucky, so many cool imports

fwdtamiya
10-13-2014, 12:17 PM

Oh! Thanks for the info Randy. I need to step up my Road&Ster game one day. :oops:

Dandy
10-13-2014, 02:52 PM
Thanks Randy for the info. One of the reasons I love Mazdaroadster is the knowledge on here for the Jdm parts I like is second to none. Once ive got the car home I get some better photos. Hoping it's ok as rash purchase unseen!

Yes, the collective knowledge on here is so good. Very knowledgeable members on here find themselves occasionally humbled . . . and it just makes the collective knowledge on this site that much better.

Madaboutmx5s
10-14-2014, 02:54 AM
You uk guys are so lucky, so many cool imports

Compared to back in the day it is not as easy as less mk1 roadsters for sale here due to government scrappage schemes for old cars, mx5s rusting out, etc. The recent silver pitcrew I bought in from Japan has also shown me that was a lucky buy as everything else I've looked out there half decent has been a lot more money.

Yes, the collective knowledge on here is so good. Very knowledgeable members on here find themselves occasionally humbled . . . and it just makes the collective knowledge on this site that much better.

Was thinkng the other day how the internet has changed the mx5 community. Sites like mazdaroadster have allowed enthusiasts internationally to share knowledge, ideas, contacts, etc. Makes the world a smaller place benefiting us all.

WASABI
10-14-2014, 10:13 AM
Was thinkng the other day how the internet has changed the mx5 community. Sites like mazdaroadster have allowed enthusiasts internationally to share knowledge, ideas, contacts, etc. Makes the world a smaller place benefiting us all.

It's also a great resource for motivation and support with our addictions! I for one LOVE to see what you crazy cats are doing in the UK and elsewhere outside the United States.

Madaboutmx5s
10-15-2014, 05:21 PM
To update this thread collected the car today brought it home.

Goo news is its solid (In the UK mx5s can suffer badly from rust), mechanically its fine and all the RS Limited parts and there with the limited edition sticker confirming its originality. Probably needs more TLC then the photos have way to but for the money it's a good buy. I have to decide whether it will be a catalyst for my other cars or another one to collection. Seeing as it's a RS a Limited which is all complete I'm tempted to lock away as probably a good longer term investment if and when MK1s starting increasing in value here in the UK.

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn216/madaboutmx5s/image_zps7bf53e69.jpg
http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn216/madaboutmx5s/image_zpsd1ad6883.jpg
http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn216/madaboutmx5s/image_zps83adc521.jpg
http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn216/madaboutmx5s/image_zps5cfc0b92.jpg

Dandy
10-15-2014, 07:40 PM
How is it the Euros got such good seats? I realize yours have been refinished but the US models never got anything other than standard stock with leather trim. The 95M seats are special to us as they are the only headrest style seats that made it to the states while the euros had plenty of headrest style seats to choose from.

Phatmiata
10-15-2014, 09:19 PM
Are those 15 inch BBS wheels? They look good!!

Madaboutmx5s
10-16-2014, 04:52 AM
How is it the Euros got such good seats? I realize yours have been refinished but the US models never got anything other than standard stock with leather trim. The 95M seats are special to us as they are the only headrest style seats that made it to the states while the euros had plenty of headrest style seats to choose from.

In the UK or Europe we never got as good seats. The car is a JDM import model, 1994 MK1 Eunos Roadster RS Limited. Considered by many outside the M2 models the best MK1 model Mazda did as came with a short ratio Torsen lsd, light weight flywheel, light weight 15' BBS wheels, strut brace, uprated bracing and said Kelvar Recaros. Unfortunately due to the popularity of the light weight Kelvar seats and wheels they often go missing from the cars as get sold on (part of me is even tempted on this one as I have these Kelvar recaros in my silver car and white car and think these will look good in the black roadster). However back to the main point a complete RS limited like this one has some potential long term value if complete due to the rarity of a complete model and they only made 500 in the first place.

Are those 15 inch BBS wheels? They look good!!

Hi Randy, yes on the RS Limited they came with 15' BBS wheels as standard. Cheers james.

atank
10-16-2014, 05:50 AM
Good Score on the RSL James!!!!!!!

Dandy
10-16-2014, 07:45 AM
Thanks for the info. I have a (japanese) book on all the limited and special editions but whenever I pick it up I tend to stare at the M2 cars and I miss some of the good details on the others. I really like your RS Limited pretty much as it sits. It will be interesting to see what direction you take with this car.

Madaboutmx5s
10-16-2014, 08:52 AM
Good Score on the RSL James!!!!!!!

Thanks mate. I have disconnected the battery, checked to make sure the drain points are clear in the sills and now think I leave the car for a while and decide what I will do with this. On the whim purchase this was I didn't read any of the notes with the car, take it for a test drive, etc. However through reading the paperwork today it has a nice extensive range of service history. Had a poke round underneath and it seems solid enough too. However I will declare it off road and decide what to do with it later.

Thanks for the info. I have a (japanese) book on all the limited and special editions but whenever I pick it up I tend to stare at the M2 cars and I miss some of the good details on the others. I really like your RS Limited pretty much as it sits. It will be interesting to see what direction you take with this car.

Yeah I would have loved a M2 model. Over the years I could have bought 2x M2 1001 cars here in the UK and sadly bought neither. The decent one of these now lives in Italy while the other was pretty ropey and seems to have vanished off the scene. The RS Limited while a bit more mainstream however is a nice alternative and with the extras I think a future classic amongst the MK1 models in the UK market place.

roadsternut
10-20-2014, 06:02 PM
Yeah I would have loved a M2 model. Over the years I could have bought 2x M2 1001 cars here in the UK and sadly bought neither. The decent one of these now lives in Italy while the other was pretty ropey and seems to have vanished off the scene. The RS Limited while a bit more mainstream however is a nice alternative and with the extras I think a future classic amongst the MK1 models in the UK market place.

Now here's the thing; its worth more back in Japan. Unfortunately, I don't think any of these cars will realise their true worth in the UK, so you buy them because you like them. I barely covered my costs when I sold my M2-1002 for £2k. I know Sam Goodwin put another £6-7k into it, and sold it for £6k, and then it sold for £3k on ebay, and off to Italy. The decent M2-1001; I was offered it for £8k, after it had sat in storage for 4-5 years, and needed a fair amount of work to it. No thanks. The Carplanet 1001 was a deathtrap. I hope it was broken up for spares, but there are rumors a certain dealer in the SW has it under wraps. A white M2-1028 was discovered in the UK, but was sold to a Japanese gent and shipped back.

Supposedly there were less than 200 M8 S-Special IIs; mechanically identical to the RS.
http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n109/saz9961/S-Spec%20II/2005-07-01006.jpg
http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n109/saz9961/MX5OC%20Gaydon%202014/P1120775_zps87a0902a.jpg
http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n109/saz9961/MX5OC%20Gaydon%202014/P1120774_zpse17fec36.jpg

Spot the uber rare car, not that anyone noticed.........

So rare, there were two of them

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n109/saz9961/MX5OC%20Gaydon%202014/P1120698_zps992c7a36.jpg

Problem is, and this applies to all of them; there's no provenance to any of them. A Tokyo Limited at a respected classic car auction attracted no bids, despite a modest reserve. These cars are unknown outside of maybe 500-1000 owners in the UK. Even then, when the afore mentioned TL appeared, all the UK MX5 community would do was moan about the value.

A Roadster that has completely disappeared is the R-Limited; I haven't seen one at a OC rally now for 2-3 years. Odd that. At one time, there were always a few on show, even white ones. Now, all gone. That was a nice edition; red interior, 4.300 T1 Torsen, 15" BBS, bass thumpers in some of them.

roadsternut
10-21-2014, 03:41 PM
OK a fitting username and a addicitive personality doesn't help when it comes to impulse buys.
http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn216/madaboutmx5s/image_zpsf265e246.jpg

Plans for it are probably (the initial thought had been to out the red leather Recaros in my Pitcrew) but seems a shame to split a RS Limited as finding complete cars is getting more difficult and this may have some long term investment appeal.

I think thats a wheel brought from M2-Garage, the shop that was inside the M2 building. Basically, Mazda ran it as a car dealership. 1028wheels all had a yellow highlighted logo horn button. M2-Garage tended to use a red motif on the logos.

Madaboutmx5s
10-23-2014, 11:34 AM
Yeah the R Limited has strangely disappeared a little bit (but then you see less S Limited models around too).

I have had a fair few R Limited models (around 8), 2 or 3 S Limited models and 4 RS Limited models. I would like another R Limited. Always wish I had kept the Chaste White R Limited I had.

Thanks for the info on M2 Garage. I have also been told its a optional extra for the M2 1028 on here. Either way a nice rare Mazda item.

Just wish I had bought one of the M2 cars. Whoever bought the poor condition one knows I have a M2 roll bar as soon as the dealer near Manchester sold it I had a email asking if I would sell the roll bar.

roadsternut
10-24-2014, 02:18 PM
Should have brought mine. I had one offer when I was selling it, for £1000....... No one wanted it, and it was in much better nick than the Car Planet 1001 (mine ran, didn't have a bent chassis and didn't have a broken seat mount because of a smash).

I hesitated over the other 1001, because of the work needed, and the nagging feeling that those tiny seats were just too small for a daily car.

Here's a toughie; a Mazdaspeed tuned RS for 1.1 million yen, or a M2-1028 missing a few bits for 1.08 million
http://www.carsensor.net/usedcar/detail/CU2931706942/index.html?TRCD=200002

http://www.carsensor.net/usedcar/detail/CU3030761210/index.html?TRCD=200002

Madaboutmx5s
10-25-2014, 09:40 AM
Thanks for the web links. I like the RS. I've seen a couple of MK1 RS go though the auctions in Japan recently. Some have been all complete. Shame the M2 1028 is missing parts.