PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know what this is?

Imontalto
11-10-2014, 03:49 PM
So, I was browsing around Yahoo Japan and I found this:
It looks like a style bar, but it seems to mount to the package shelf like my HD does. Is this a legitimate roll bar? Who makes it?

Pfunk
11-10-2014, 04:30 PM
I've passable Japanese skills. Post a link, I'll see what it says.

BoBo
11-10-2014, 04:58 PM
That's a nice looking roll bar, kind of like the Boss Frog or it could be.

Imontalto
11-10-2014, 07:11 PM
I've passable Japanese skills. Post a link, I'll see what it says.

http://page19.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/x373567323

Pfunk
11-10-2014, 07:19 PM
The lister doesn't say who made the bar, just that it's a "fashion bar" for an NA6, and that there are "no claims, no returns" for the item, along with all the other terms of purchase.

Imontalto
11-10-2014, 07:28 PM
So, I'm assuming that a "fashion bar" is the same thing as a style bar, and would be pretty useless in an actual roll over.

Pfunk
11-10-2014, 07:36 PM
It at least has rearward support and would therefore be less likely to mousetrap your neck than the usual style bars, but as the rear parcel shelf has no strength for true support of the car, no, it would not be much use in a roll-over incident. Note: I am no automobile engineer, but I am a physics teacher, and understand forces well enough. Put another way, I took the weight hit and rear-end collision risk by adding my Boss Frog bar, so to me if you're going to go for a bar, do it properly.

Imontalto
11-10-2014, 07:47 PM
Well, I just installed a HDM2 and I love it. But I feel like the stainless steel look fits more with the retro theme. And at $80, I figured it was too good to be true :/

However, I have found some other cool things on YJ but I've never bought anything from it before. Just been lurking for a while and admiring. I know that some people use a third party to get things, but how do I go about getting things myself?

Pfunk
11-10-2014, 08:07 PM
You would need to set up an account with YJ, essentially, but two areas are tough if you don't have financial accounts in Japan: one, most sellers prefer either a Japan-based CC, bank transfers, or cash on delivery, all three of which are tough to do from the US. The first one is nearly impossible, and the other two are not simple. Assuming you had that in order, however, the next hurdle would be convincing the sellers to ship to you in the US. Shipping from Japan is eye-watering-level expensive, and many sellers don't want to risk an international complaint.

Phatmiata
11-10-2014, 10:45 PM
Looks like a "style bar" I would avoid it

Madaboutmx5s
11-10-2014, 10:50 PM
Yeah that is a style bar. If memory serves me right made back in the day by T-House.