PDA

View Full Version : Dash swap help needed please

vote4pedro
11-11-2014, 08:07 AM
I am doing a dash swap with my 1994 NA - non OBDll.

I have the dash in and all of the wiring connectors snapped back together - or so I thought.
There is a single white connector, which is not a part of the dash harness that is not connected, and I cannot figure out what it is supposed to be connected to. It is on the main body harness (not the dash or column harness) which is attached to the fire wall, in the area above the gas pedal and near the heater behind where the power mirror switch would be on the NA8 dash. Any help would be appreciated as I would like to get this completed over the next weekend.
I have added pictures of it and its location on the main body harness, not the dash harness.

Phatmiata
11-11-2014, 09:17 AM
Kinda hard to imagine it in my head, if you can get some photos of the area it is in and what the connector looks like myself or others that have done this might be able to help further.

In the meantime check this dash swap thread and see if your answer might be in there somewhere?
http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread.php?6606-Miata-Dashboard-Removal-Instructions-w-pics!

m00se
11-11-2014, 09:38 AM
On my NA were some connectors unplugged, two which fit together made my car make funny things so i left them unconnected. Just leave them alone and look what isn't working.

mx54life
11-11-2014, 11:45 AM
Does it resembles a radio/audio connector? I'm working on transplanting an NA6 dash to my 95 too and I think that is the connector you're referring to. Snap a pic......

vote4pedro
11-11-2014, 08:33 PM
I added pics to the original post.

vote4pedro
11-11-2014, 09:25 PM
Kinda hard to imagine it in my head, if you can get some photos of the area it is in and what the connector looks like myself or others that have done this might be able to help further.

In the meantime check this dash swap thread and see if your answer might be in there somewhere?
http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread.php?6606-Miata-Dashboard-Removal-Instructions-w-pics!

I checked it, but it did not help. Thanks though.

Hyper
11-11-2014, 09:39 PM
I checked it, but it did not help. Thanks though.

why don't you swap the dash without swaping the harness??

Phatmiata
11-11-2014, 09:58 PM
because the NA6 wiring harness is not the same as his NA8 harness

Phatmiata
11-11-2014, 09:59 PM
can you take a photo of the connector showing the open side? the plug in side?

Tkblazer
11-11-2014, 10:50 PM
I'll try to take a look at my car when I get home... I have a 94 with a na6 dash as well

Tkblazer
11-12-2014, 01:40 AM
Mine was taped to the harness

Jimmy Vee
11-12-2014, 04:22 AM
Is it this DRL module plug?
http://www.miata.net/garage/cdrl/cdn-drl.htm

vote4pedro
11-12-2014, 06:25 AM
Is it this DRL module plug?
http://www.miata.net/garage/cdrl/cdn-drl.htm

I found the same link late last night, after going thru the wiring section of the Mazda workshop manual. I am also thinking that it may be the DRL plug. I am going to check the wiring config when I get home, as well as TKBlazer's pic too, since the that connectors location seems to be the same as mine.
The 2nd picture I posted was taken just after I had unplugged the column connectors and dropped the column. You can see the plug I am referencing in the background, why I posted it.

I appreciate all the help and any other ideas or suggestions that may be thought of.

vote4pedro
11-12-2014, 06:31 AM
can you take a photo of the connector showing the open side? the plug in side?

I am not sure what you want me to take a picture of. That is all I have to go with right now is the male connector posted.

Phatmiata
11-12-2014, 08:26 AM
I am not sure what you want me to take a picture of. That is all I have to go with right now is the male connector posted.

I was asking for a picture of it like this one (see below) so that we could see how many pin connections there are........

http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/pp170/hingstonwm/fuelpumpcconnector3.jpg

mx54life
11-12-2014, 11:03 AM
That looks like an audio plug. If you have connected your audio already, that may be a factory prewired audio cable for an upgraded audio system.

vote4pedro
11-12-2014, 02:05 PM
That looks like an audio plug. If you have connected your audio already, that may be a factory prewired audio cable for an upgraded audio system.

The car came with the top-o-line (for the day anyway) MSSS radio and "bass seat back thumpers". All of that wiring is attached to the dash wring, is accounted for since I changed up to an aftermarket radio. The seat speakers wiring is still connected too.

mx54life
11-12-2014, 04:48 PM
Last resort would be to look at the wiring diagram and locate that connector with does similar colored wirings. I will look into it when I get some time later.

mx54life
11-12-2014, 04:51 PM
The car came with the top-o-line (for the day anyway) MSSS radio and "bass seat back thumpers". All of that wiring is attached to the dash wring, is accounted for since I changed up to an aftermarket radio. The seat speakers wiring is still connected too.

BTW did you splice at the back of the wiring harness or connect an aftermarket audio connector? Some audio installers specially the old school will splice so the OEM audio connector was removed and left "that" connector open. Unless of course you did it yourself.

vote4pedro
11-12-2014, 05:54 PM
BTW did you splice at the back of the wiring harness or connect an aftermarket audio connector? Some audio installers specially the old school will splice so the OEM audio connector was removed and left "that" connector open. Unless of course you did it yourself.

I was looking thru the 1994 Mazda Miata workshop manual last night. The wires and connector were identical to the DRL connector listed.
I am pretty anal about stuff done. I used a kit from Crutchfield with OEM female connectors for a clean install.

vote4pedro
11-12-2014, 06:06 PM
Thank you for all the help and suggestions.
I actually had some spare time to look over things earlier.
Thanks for the picture Tkblaze. Your wrapped, unused connector is what I have going on, except mine is just swaying in the breeze.
I am also pretty sure that it is for DRL 's - thanks Jimmy Vee.
I can now get back to fitzing around and get most of my interior in and done.