PDA

View Full Version : Answered Shoutbox

Adam
01-16-2012, 10:13 AM
How about a real-time instant chat setup? It could be useful for just random chat between members, quick solutions to problems, etc. The only downside I know of would be that it could take away from thread discussion but if someone just has one simple question such as "What's the bolt size for the baby teeth?" then it doesn't warrant a whole thread. Also we'll still have our picture threads and any other threads that warrant considerable discussion.

concealer404
01-16-2012, 10:42 AM
Would probably cut down on thread-derailing, too, if that matters to anyone. :)

Schain
01-16-2012, 10:48 AM
This sounds like a really good idea. It would have to be moderated though.

Edit: fixed typo.

MazRoadAdmin
01-16-2012, 02:08 PM
Not ignoring you. This has been brought up by a few people. Mods and Admins are discussing now.

MazRoadAdmin
01-18-2012, 11:32 AM
We've decided that we don't want to move forward with this.

revlimiter
01-18-2012, 11:41 AM
Awww.

phillyb
01-18-2012, 11:45 AM
you guys don't know what you're missing.

RyanxStorey
01-18-2012, 12:00 PM
Can we at least here the reasoning behind the no go on this?

Small White Car
01-18-2012, 05:37 PM
I got three words for you dudes who wanna chat in real time.

I

R

C

quakenet anyone?

#KINOD

Adam
01-18-2012, 07:08 PM
Not ringin a bell. Elaborate if ya will.

AARP
01-18-2012, 07:20 PM
I got three words for you dudes who wanna chat in real time.

I

R

C

quakenet anyone?

#KINOD
Oh yeah. Rockin' it old school.

Small White Car
01-18-2012, 08:22 PM
Not ringin a bell. Elaborate if ya will.

That would be 'Internet Relay Chat' on the quakenet server. If you have FireFox it is quite easy to use via chatZilla.

Lemme dust off some old links. Maybe we can get enough folks in a room for Q so it'll be permanent.

Mr Mayor
01-20-2012, 10:26 AM
Sorry to drudge up an answered thread... but a live SHOUTBOX was one of the best things I added to my ATV website (Granted I run an IPB forum) . It makes it a tad more personal imho. Since 99% of SPAM is actually SPAMBOTS, they're too stupid to post in there, if that's what you're thinking when you mentioned the "policing/babysitting" .

Slightly offtopic: Speaking of SPAM, another wonderful thing we did aside from CAPTCHA images was add a simple line:
"Please type >atv< in the next line:".... Knock on wood, I haven't seen a spammer on my site in over a year (and trust me that says a lot).

Carry on
MM

MazRoadAdmin
01-20-2012, 11:00 AM
Slightly offtopic: Speaking of SPAM, another wonderful thing we did aside from CAPTCHA images was add a simple line:
"Please type >atv< in the next line:".... Knock on wood, I haven't seen a spammer on my site in over a year (and trust me that says a lot).
Actually working on that this weekend.

As for the shoutbox, we may look into it a little more, but Phat just felt like it had the potential to be an unmoderated mess.

concealer404
01-20-2012, 11:06 AM
It will be.... but it's a good outlet for that stuff.

Anyone that will cause problems in there (personal attacks, racial slurs, whatever) will likely be causing problems elsewhere on the forum anyways and wouldn't last long.

Most shoutboxes come with an archive feature as well. If someone is legitimately offended in there, they can PM a mod/admin with the date and time, and the "governing body" can take it from there.

I'm not personally worried about it either way... but i'm on 3 forums that have them, and the world hasn't exploded or anything. :P

MazRoadAdmin
01-20-2012, 01:09 PM
When I run out of other things to do, I may revisit the idea. Personally, I could see it being set up as a tool for "established members"... some certain post limit or user level required to access it. That would keep the riff-raff out.

But, for now, I'm happy to just let it go.