PDA

View Full Version : Alignment Specs

DrNBody
01-25-2015, 11:27 PM
Hey guys, looking to get my car dialed in and aligned as the steering wheel has to be at 11'o clock for me to go straight.

I'm looking for a good all around alignment setting, for handling/performance as well as tire wear. I will be autox-ing in the spring/summer as well as taking spirited driving trips.

Also, do these cars have adjustable camber, toe or caster or all of the above? Front and rear?

Trying to learn more about this machine. Thanks!

kung fu jesus
01-26-2015, 08:29 AM
Camber, caster, toe can be adjusted up front, camber and toe in the rear. A few things should factor in on your settings, like tire sizing, wheel sizing, and ride height.

DrNBody
01-26-2015, 08:51 AM
14' Club (different springs/shocks/sways), stock height, 205 17" Potenza RE050a's

kung fu jesus
01-26-2015, 09:19 AM
I admit I am not familiar with best practices for alignment settings on NCs, but I consider Brian Goodwin probably the preeminent expert on that chassis, among vendors. Here are a few things he wrote:

http://www.good-win-racing.com/mazda/miata/technical-faq.html?id=RP7JpMyr#e

Alignment
Depends on what you want to do with your Mazda Miata, Mazda MX5, Mazda RX7, Mazda RX8, Mazda 3 and Mazda 6. For race track driving and more aggressive street driving try a bit more negative camber. For performance street driving we like the front camber ranges from -1.0 to -2.0 depending on conditions, tire choice, etc.

Autocross. Autocross is not reality and ideal autocross alignments are not ideal street alignments. Much depends on your choice of tires, shock absorbers, etc. Tire life may suffer and you assume the risk if you try these settings and ruin a set of tires!!. For Autocross consider considerably more negative camber. We find the following works well on our Autocross Mazda Miata:

Front camber -2
Front toe zero to POSITIVE 1/8 (within factory range) Caster--As much positive as you can get with the above settings.

Rear camber -3
Rear toe zero to NEGATIVE 1/8 (within factory range)

The camber curve of the rear link suspension on the Mazda RX8 and 2006+ Mazda Miata is better and needs less negative camber (we run ranges of 1.8 to 2.2 typically).

Maybe a few others will chime in.

Johnnie
02-04-2015, 05:19 PM
I run my autocross alignment on the street. I have Flyin' Miata springs and Koni sport shocks, so the car is lower than stock. I also have Racing Beat anti-roll bars, so the balance is different from stock.

My specs:
-2.6 camber F
5.5 caster
0 toe F
-2.2 camber R
smidge of toe-in R(can't remember the exact number)
The car is neutral.

What springs/shocks/bars do you have, DrNBody?