PDA

View Full Version : Oil Filter Replacement (access and size?) [2000 5-speed Manual]

chucknorrisinator
02-04-2015, 04:37 PM
According to a guide from a while back, aftermarket oil filters don't fit. Is that true? If so, what do I buy?

Also, will I have enough room to use a strap wrench to remove the filter?

Any tips you can offer for changing engine oil/tranny oil/rear differential oil?

Thanks!

bruiser
02-04-2015, 10:06 PM
You can get aftermarket filters that will work from most manufacturers. I pesonally use filters by royal purple. Tough to get a strap wrench on if you need something I would suggest the right size filter socket. You can reach the filter easily from the passenger side wheel.

JamieH
02-04-2015, 10:56 PM
I use Mobil 1 M1-108 filters for my 1.8.

If you aren't in a hurry to change your oil, removing the undertray makes getting to the filter from the bottom much easier. And if you remove the intake brace, the filter is incredibly easy to access from the bottom. Some opt to leave the intake brace off once removing it. But, it's a point of some controversy. Read around enough Miata forums and you'll find threads on the issue. I've gone around 30,000 miles without the intake brace on my car.

I also place a piece of clear plastic (the kind nice products are wrapped/shipped in) under the filter so that oil is directed over the front crossmember and steering rack and into a drain. Keeps things much cleaner.

Removing the undertray also lets you inspect things too. Such as keeping an eye out for a front main seal leak.

kung fu jesus
02-05-2015, 07:09 PM
I use MX6/Probe GT (V6) filters. No issues. I read a little rumor this week that Pulolator is going to release a hi-capacity filter for the Miatas soon.