PDA

View Full Version : Need to do list prior to installing an NB 6-spd tranny on an NA?

mx54life
02-16-2015, 09:17 PM
So by now you guys know I'm a bit busy putting this build together. A while back I came across a 6-speed NB tranny I can't resist. It came from a running 2001 that was part of completed project by one of the local guy who unfortunately ended up in a major accident just as he got the car running. Anyways I am getting ready to pair this with my 95 1.8 engine, he gave me everything needed to put this together. The tranny engages smoothly thru the entire gears. I just noticed that inside the bell housing is a history of dried oil. He told me there was no leak when he installed it and likewise when he took out a couple of weeks later.

Just for precautionary measure what are the things should I do to prepare this tranny prior to install? I have new slave master cylinder, fresh synthetic tranny oil ready and extended braided stainless steel clutch line.

Is there any seal that I can change just for safety even tho' he said he took care of all that before he installed this?

Thanks guys.

BoBo
02-17-2015, 02:52 AM
Nice!, I always wanted the 6sp conversion. Depending on the mileage of the tranny you might want to have the bearings replaced while its out. Other than that there's front and rear seals that you can buy as a kit online. I bought a gasket kit before I had my tranny replaced with a low mileage unit, along with the OEM boots. I bought my kit at Rosenthal Arlington Mazda. However, TrackdogRacing sells transmission gaskets as well. You can always buy from your local Mazda if those places I mentioned doesn't have your parts on stock.

http://trackdogracing.com/transmissionsealandgasketkitfor90-05miatas5-speed.aspx