PDA

View Full Version : OEM Freeze Plugs VS Aftermarket question?

mx54life
02-24-2015, 05:04 PM
Hey guys any one here have change their freeze plugs? What did you opted to use? I'm not sure if factory plugs are brass. But an aftermarket brand named Dorman uses brass.

I need to replace mine as the former owner used some funky mix and made a couple starting to leak.

Much appreciate any input.

Hammerhead
02-24-2015, 05:21 PM
I have a rebuilt motor and opted for the brass freeze plugs.

mx54life
02-24-2015, 06:26 PM
I have a rebuilt motor and opted for the brass freeze plugs.

Cool I will get this Dorman brand as they are brass. The stock ones are all rusted at the back so definitely made of steel.

Did you do your own rebuild? If so did you flush the coolant pathways? I am not rebuilding it since it only has about 80K on it I am just gonna freshen it up. No oil was mixed up in the coolant when I drained it so I'm pretty confident that the head gasket is intact and compression test was solid. No overheating either. So I'm just gonna change the WP, TB, and all the gaskets except the head.

kung fu jesus
02-24-2015, 06:27 PM
Couldn't hurt. Tom documented his engine rebuild here, I can't remember which he used:

http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread.php?996-Infamously-Famous-1-8-Engine-Build

mx54life
02-24-2015, 07:46 PM
Wow thanks that is the advantage of access to a fully equipped machine shop. I will have the bottom end built down the road. For now just the minimum to make sure the leaks are checked. A boost of 5-6 psi is what my JRSC M45 will achieve so no high end built necessary.

Hammerhead
02-24-2015, 11:13 PM
My rebuilder also put a freeze plug in the front of the head, where the water neck was, because I am doing the coolant reroute and will no longer need the neck.

Hyper
02-24-2015, 11:45 PM
My rebuilder also put a freeze plug in the front of the head, where the water neck was, because I am doing the coolant reroute and will no longer need the neck.

Just for reference, it's a 30mm freeze plug and it can be purchased from NAPA for a buck or two.

Hammerhead to you drive a 1.8 or 1.6?

mx54life
02-25-2015, 03:06 AM
I do have the 30 mm plug for the coolant neck delete as I will likewise have a coolant reroute. I got mine at Trackspeed which included the blocking plate. Not really necessary but I thought it look good for $20 including the plug.

Hammerhead
02-25-2015, 08:07 AM
Just for reference, it's a 30mm freeze plug and it can be purchased from NAPA for a buck or two.

Hammerhead to you drive a 1.8 or 1.6?

1.6, but after the engine work it'll be more of a 1.7+

I do have the 30 mm plug for the coolant neck delete as I will likewise have a coolant reroute. I got mine at Trackspeed which included the blocking plate. Not really necessary but I thought it look good for $20 including the plug.

I'm going to look that kit up, because I'd like the look of a blocking plate installed.