PDA

View Full Version : Rebuilding a Motor Discussion

Demon I Am
03-11-2015, 11:12 AM
I'm considering buying a long block 1999-2000 engine, then doing a slow, fresh build on it, or buying an already remanufactured one. I don't want anything insane, just a fresh "new" motor for replacement when the current one is too tired to continue. I have no plans to turbo or supercharge my car. If it's possible to eke more power out of the engine during the rebuild, what should be done?

There are companies out there that sell "Remanufactured" Miata motors, some with warranties, but it's hard to find a review online of a recommended place to go.

There are a ton of companies out there which sell the rebuild kits, some of them more complete than others'.
http://www.flyinmiata.com/index.php?deptid=4530&stocknumber=04-00001%20%201990-91 seems to be the go-to kit
Or I could piece it together using other resources.

Have you personally rebuilt an engine, and what are the things that will need to be done to get this done properly? Is most of this do-able by a somewhat adept home mechanic? What will need a professional's touch (deck planing, polishing, etc)?

Sorry for the "noob-ish" thread, but I know we don't have a thread for discussing things like this, yet. Any links to a proper how-to's would be awesome. I have a lot of research to do, and will be adding here anything that may be of use to the thread.

Obviously, step one will be buying a used motor.
and reading this:http://www.miata.net/garage/rebuild.html

kung fu jesus
03-11-2015, 11:18 AM
One important question:

What's you budget?

Rebuilds, mostly stock, should be around 2000-2500 (by someone else) depending on the stuff it needs.

A good core, I would just do this:

New rings, bearings, seals, HG, head studs.

Stuff that you should have done in that case:

Tanking, fluxing, re-hone, new freeze plugs, head surfaced, new valve guides.

That would be probably around 1200.

Demon I Am
03-11-2015, 11:23 AM
I don't have a budget, that's why this will be a slow-build. I am not looking for a Flyin' Miata $4-8000 engine, but if I can get away with something pretty awesome for under $2500 or so, I'd be pleased. I am a thrifty bastard, but don't want to cheap out on anything hard to fix. I just want whatever goes back in to be the last time the engine is pulled for many many years.

It's hard to find build threads that are not turbo related.

kung fu jesus
03-11-2015, 11:24 AM
What I mentioned suits that.

Hyper
03-11-2015, 11:54 AM
I would personally build a short block and with time upgrade the cylinder head components. Your 99-00 cylinder head is already an improvement to previous year miatas.

Demon I Am
03-11-2015, 12:27 PM
Treasure Coast http://treasurecoastmiata.com/c-1074840-rebuilt-cylinder-heads-and-engines.html offers these services for the motor I'm looking at:

Short block, pan & rear seal housing supplied separate $1200
Short block, oil pump & pan assembled with seals, Rear main seal installed $1385
rebuilt head $925 (we have one ready to go out for rebuild)
Head installed $150
New water pump and timing kit installed $500