PDA

View Full Version : Wiring a horn?

Nyaa
03-13-2015, 03:08 PM
So, my brother in law offered to install my hub and wheel for me while I was at work one day, very generous of him.
Turns out, he broke my clock spring, and actually removed the connector and everything while he installed the non-airbag Daikei Hub.

I've got inspection due this month, and Texas requires you to have a horn button in reach of the driver, so I was thinking about putting one in a blank dash switch as a temp fix. I'd love to have it actually connected to my wheel's button, but I can tackle that later.

Does anyone have a tutorial / advice on how to wire up a horn on my NA? It would be extremely appreciated

Phatmiata
03-13-2015, 03:13 PM
Just buy a used clock spring, below is a write up on how to cut "Around" the wires, dont cut them off, otherwise youll loose your horn.

http://www.sandiegomiataclub.org/miata_tech/na/na_steering_wheel_replacement.html

OBD1 kenobi
03-13-2015, 09:30 PM
^^^^what he said. I installed my aftermarket wheel about 2 months ago and this was the best article I could find. And trust me, I searched everywhere. If you want to wire the horn the right way, this is it. If you want to have an idea of what you will be working with ( if you are a visual learner like me) go to Youtube and search for miatas wheel/horn wiring and see as many as you can find. Its relatively easy to do.

Nyaa
03-13-2015, 10:07 PM
I was planning on replacing the clockspring anyway since I can't stand the airbag light blinking at me. Doing it all will be a good weekend project. Thanks for the resources guys!