PDA

View Full Version : What the problem is yo? Hazard switch conversion.

MightyM
03-13-2015, 10:09 PM
Alright gentlemen, and ladies if you are out there...
I am am having some trouble figuring out my hazard switch conversion. Yes, I am doing a toggle switch set up like many of your fine Miatas already have but I didn't want to simply buy a ready set. I wanted to make my own. I bought some toggle switches, made a plate, took apart the tombstone, cut up the wiring harness and started to put things back together... So I thought... I have the hazard light wiring figured out. It works fine but I can't seam to get the pop ups to work properly. So far I've gone through three different styles of SPDT toggle switches. All are three prong, one is on-off-on (three positions) second is a two position (up -down) I'm guessing it's on-off, this is the one I'm using for the hazard lights. The third is on-none-on, this one was one that guys had used or recommended on other forums and supposedly worked but it's only two positions and is a momentary, meaning that it comes back to the original position once you let go. I haven't actually tried this one since I just don't see how it could work so here I am... The on-off-on switch so far gives me best results except when I flip the switch up or down the lights just start opening and closing continually. What the heck!! It's running a constant power flow. Is this a problem with the switch or do I have a damaged relay? What am I doing wrong? Anybody know EXACTLY what switch I need for the pop ups and where can I get one? Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Jimmy Vee
03-13-2015, 10:16 PM
You'll need an on-on switch for the pop-ups. 2 positions, 3 conections on the rear.

This is the one I used, I don't think Narva is available in the US though so you will need to look fo a different brand.
http://i.imgur.com/JR3X371.png

MightyM
03-13-2015, 10:28 PM
Any idea why mine might be going up n down none stop? There are 4 wires that need to be connected. Or is one of those an illuminator and not necessary?

Jimmy Vee
03-14-2015, 12:38 AM
I'm not sure to be honest. Maybe try reconnecting the stock switch unit and seeing if the problem still happens, that should at least tell you if it is the swith or the relays.

There are 7 wires in total on the unit, 2 for the hazard (Orange + Black), 3 for the Pop-ups(Red/Blue Common + Red/Yellow down + Red/Green up) and 2 for Illumination (Red + Red/Black)*. No need to use the illumination, unless you have some lights to wire up.

*they are the colours on mine, they might be different on yours.
edit: the common wire for the pop-ups on the 94+ is white/red

Agent☣Orange
03-14-2015, 12:48 AM
Yo?

Did we suddenly become gangsta?

MightyM
03-14-2015, 09:46 AM
I'm not sure to be honest. Maybe try reconnecting the stock switch unit and seeing if the problem still happens, that should at least tell you if it is the swith or the relays.

There are 7 wires in total on the unit, 2 for the hazard (Orange + Black), 3 for the Pop-ups(Red/Blue Common + Red/Yellow down + Red/Green up) and 2 for Illumination (Red + Red/Black)*. No need to use the illumination, unless you have some lights to wire up.

*they are the colours on mine, they might be different on yours.

Thanks Jimmy, I'll keep diggin.

MightyM
03-14-2015, 09:48 AM
Yo?

Did we suddenly become gangsta?

It's a movie quote... Maybe I added the yo part but no, no gangsta's here. Didn't mean to frighten you Orange!

Agent☣Orange
03-14-2015, 10:10 AM
Haha, it's all good.

MightyM
03-14-2015, 10:30 AM
Right on!

revlimiter
03-14-2015, 11:00 AM
I would contribute, but Jimmy already answered everything.

Didn't I give you the right switch info in PM the other day? An SPDT on/on toggle? I swear that's what I typed.

MightyM
03-14-2015, 12:19 PM
Yeah you did but somesmerhing still is wrong because my lights don't stop going up n down and I'm positive that one of the switches that I've tried was the SPDT on-on but I'll look into it again....

MightyM
03-14-2015, 10:05 PM
Ok, I went out and bought a Carling spdt on-on 20A (SS114-BG) switch at a local hardware store. Hooked it up and these are the results... Marker lights have to be on for the toggle switch to operate the pop ups otherwise there is no response. I can live with that.... But when I turn the driving lights on and the toggle switch is in the off/closed/down position the headlights start opening n closing continually. Does this happen to all of the toggle switch conversions? Nielex, Revlimiter... Is this normal for this upgrade? Also the toggle switch doesn't pop the lights up unless the marker lights are on like the factory switches did. Sorry for turning this into a bigger deal than it should be... Just trying to figure it out.

revlimiter
03-15-2015, 12:04 PM
Nope. Not normal. Mine operate the same way that the factory switches do. Flip it up at any time and the lids go up.

revlimiter
03-15-2015, 12:06 PM
http://clubroadster.net/vb_forum/402970-post78.html

That might help. I mentioned it in PM but didn't search for it for you.

MightyM
03-15-2015, 04:37 PM
Thanks bud! I wasn't able to find this one for some reason... This helps a lot. Turns out I was using one of the led wires to power the switch. That explains the power being available only while the markers were on, if the configuration didn't change for the NA8 that is...My Miata is a 94 and after looking at my mess of wires the common power wire is white with a red stripe according to the diagram in this link. A little different from an NA6 I'm guessing based on what Jimmy Vee said (red/blue being the common) anyways I'm one step closer to getting it working, unfortunately I think I crossed a wire and got s short or something because the white/red wire isn't giving me any power and my panel LED lights aren't working at all... Fuses are all good so I'm gonna go hunt for a relay... I can't think of what else it may be...

HopalongHopalong
03-18-2015, 10:58 AM
I used this pic to wire mine up.

http://i912.photobucket.com/albums/ac326/cooney_rd/civic%202011/image.jpg1.jpg (http://s912.photobucket.com/user/cooney_rd/media/civic%202011/image.jpg1.jpg.html)

And used a 2 wire connector disconnect for the hazards and a 3 wire connector quick disconnects for the hazards.

HopalongHopalong
03-18-2015, 11:00 AM
These are similar connectors I used.

MightyM
03-26-2015, 10:53 PM
So just to follow up and finish out this thread... I found the problem . Just as I suspected it was a relay, the retractor relay located under the steering column. I must have fried it by touching two hot wires... DIY has some down sides to it but I guess it's a learning experience. I picked up a used relay on eBay for $30 and everything works perfect! Thanks to everyone who chimed in with help!
Here's a picture of the completed project.
http://i.imgur.com/uD8Y12V.jpg