PDA

View Full Version : Using Anti-Seize instead of Silicone Gel with Polyurethane Bushing?

mx54life
03-17-2015, 11:34 PM
I have read several topics regarding using "anti-seize" instead of silicone but they are old and no one has updated the topic. Anybody here using anti-seize? How is it compare to Silicone? Thanks

Agent☣Orange
03-18-2015, 12:34 AM
In terms of what? Spark plugs? Trying to figure out the context here.

mx54life
03-18-2015, 12:44 AM
Anti-seize is being used to lubricate polyurethane bushings instead of the white silicone. The claim is that the anti-seize last longer and works better. A guy mentioned he had it in his miata for 2 years without any squeeking problems. The thread I was reading was old and so I am wondering if any one here have used it with their polyurethane bushings. I am about to install mine and so I would to hear if this is indeed a good option for lubricating polyurethanes and if these are easy to apply thru zerk fittings.

Phatmiata
03-18-2015, 07:51 AM
Yes we used it on a buddys Miata, I use the marine grade on my lug nuts too, it does not wash off with all the rains we get here in Florida. And it stopped his sway bars and other squeaky bushings from making aweful noises when turning and or going over speed bumps and such.

mx54life
03-18-2015, 11:01 AM
Perfect thanks. This one little detail that is quite significant IMO as we continue to perfectly advance our miata to the next generation. Funny is that polyurethane makers does not even recommend this and so I have not seen it mentioned in the manual plus they supply the white silicone so if no one research on this it is a knowledge lost as common practice dictates that you do what manufacturer the recommends. Polyurethane without the squeak is a very good bushing alternative, affordable (cheaper than stock bushing) and easy to install (no press required). Just make sure you stay 80 or less durometer. With factory coils and shocks you would hardly feel differences in NVH (noise ,vibration and harshness). But with aftermarket coilovers or stiffer springs and shocks combo then a slight tightness on rough pavements can be noticed.