PDA

View Full Version : Hot Wheels of Fortune

Phatmiata
04-06-2015, 08:53 AM
http://www.examiner.com/article/pawn-stars-season-9-episode-55-hot-wheel-of-fortune-recap-highlight

'Pawn Stars' Season 9 episode 55 'Hot Wheel Of Fortune' recap highlight

http://cdn2-b.examiner.com/sites/default/files/styles/image_content_width/hash/72/01/7201d12558d361cc828c95bded153546.jpg

Two days ago, April 2, on "Pawn Stars," the History Channel aired a new episode titled, "Hot Wheel Of Fortune." The show takes place at the World Famous Gold & Silver Pawn Shop in Las Vegas where Rick Harrison, his father Richard "The Old Man," his son Corey Harrison and Corey's friend, Austin "Chumlee" Russell. "Pawn Stars" airs on Thursday night on the History Channel and generally airs back to back new episodes. The highlight of the show this week was a Hot Wheels prototype van that was brought into the shop by a customer.

A man brought in the rarest Hot Wheel car in the world, in mint condition, a prototype pink 1969 Hot Wheels VW Beach Bomb Rear-Loader. The seller said that he could offer Rick, "A bargain for the rarest of all rare toys." The seller wants, $150,000, and Rick won't even touch the car. Rick calls in Johnny, owner of the Las Vegas toy store Toy Shack to examine the holy grail of Hot Wheels. The item is complete and it even has both of the original surfboards that go with the van. The van was never for sale to the public, making it extremely rare and valuable, if it's genuine.

Johnny comes to the pawn shop and examines the car up close, opting to wear a white glove due to the value of the item. This is a museum piece and Johnny confirms the van's rarity, value and place as the rarest Hot Wheel car in the world. Johnny says about the van, "This is definitely the prototype." He explained, "Everything looks 100% correct." Johnny told Rick that he could easily ask $100,000 for this car. $70,000 was the top offer from Rick, but the seller believed the car to be at least valued at double that, $140,000. The seller appreciated the offer from Rick, but declined and expected to sell the car in the future for the price he wanted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyDMd-rvceY

tsingson
04-06-2015, 09:53 AM
Wow. Just wow.

RotorNutFD3S
04-06-2015, 10:25 AM
Someone, somewhere, will pay what he wants to have that too.

Agent☣Orange
04-06-2015, 10:37 AM
This finally explains why Phat's been selling a lot of his best stuff lately.

Sean5294
04-06-2015, 12:15 PM
I never understood why people bring collectors items into a pawn shop and expect the shop to pay a collectors price.

RotorNutFD3S
04-06-2015, 12:26 PM
I never understood why people bring collectors items into a pawn shop and expect the shop to pay a collectors price.

Sometimes I think that half of the things that walk onto that show are staged for publicity.

Phatmiata
04-06-2015, 01:05 PM

Well for this guy it was free advertising for his Hot Wheels car, and it was verified right on the spot, so it was a smart move even if the pawn shop doesnt buy it.

Doesnt one of the guys at that pawn shop own a diecast store in Vegas too?

wannafbody
04-06-2015, 03:28 PM
The only way to get top dollar is at an auction or private sell. If the guy goes the auction route he's gonna lose 25% or more . Chances are they guy paid 70K for it.

OBD1 kenobi
04-06-2015, 04:44 PM
This video is going viral. I just saw this on my facebook feed from a group of hotwheels collectors in Mexico.

theothersawyer
04-06-2015, 05:18 PM
Someone just offered you $70,000 for a $0.97 toy...TAKE IT! (I know its rare, blah blah blah)

Phatmiata
04-07-2015, 07:38 AM
Someone just offered you $70,000 for a $0.97 toy...TAKE IT! (I know its rare, blah blah blah)

Im sure he did not pay .97 cents for it, it has probably be traded multiple times and each time the price gets higher.

Agent☣Orange
04-07-2015, 09:08 PM
I'd hold out for the collector price. Why give away $70,000? Of course, selling to a business is going to yield less since they need to make a profit but it's sleazy that their formula is 100 percent profit. If I were a shop owner and I could make $1K profit, I'd do it.

I take it this show is still on? I don't care for shows about pawn shops, duck "hunters," toothless, hillbilly alligator "hunters," moonshiners, gold diggers and especially not car auctions.

theothersawyer
04-07-2015, 10:28 PM
Im sure he did not pay .97 cents for it, it has probably be traded multiple times and each time the price gets higher.

Well yeah I assume that as well, but I always give Eric a hard time for collecting $0.97 toys and the fact people pay BIG money for these toys! Although I do enjoy a hunting for them from time to time!

Paul B
04-07-2015, 11:22 PM
I remeber seeing a video on Youtube of the owner and his collection ofd Hot Wheels. He has the orignal cars, original displays etc etc etc. his entire basement was dedicated for these toys. The show was appraising his collection and it was worth an insane amount of money. IIRC it was around a million dollars,but dont quopte me, Ill have to find the video. The owner also said he spent hundreds and hundreds of thousands of dollars to collect it all.

So even if his appearance on Pawn Stars was a legitmate attempt at selling the toy(which I highly doubt it was), a $70,000 offer wont do him much good if he was trying to get back what he paid for it or make a profit.

OBD1 kenobi
04-08-2015, 08:16 AM
^^^^ i think this might be the video you are talking about:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCRIP1wMAeE

Phatmiata
04-08-2015, 08:45 AM
Fixed your youtube link ^^

and yes looks like the same guy, and both videos say his name is "Bruce", and he did not pay .97 for those cars. :teehee:

Agent☣Orange
04-08-2015, 09:43 AM
There was a short feature on one of these Saturday car-repair shows about a guy who mods Hot Wheels. I haven't been able to find just that segment on YouTube but I'll try to dig up his site. Pretty interesting hobby.

Paul B
04-08-2015, 11:41 PM
Also, after my late night trolling of HotWheelscollectors.com, I beleive the same guy from Pawn Stars was honored at a special event at the Hot wheels Nationals in Lexington jsut recently. Apparently he's a VIP lol