PDA

View Full Version : Car covers?

SM16RMSM
04-14-2015, 01:10 PM
Whats up my fellow Miata peeps? Been a while.

I'm been gone for too long now. I've got myself into a dilemma out on the road and there not much I can do so I've come to ask since I'm sure someone has come across this before or at least read someone. I've done some digging but some haven't found an answer.

Do to unforeseen misfortune, I don't have my warehouse / race shop anymore. This sucks since it means everything my dad had also has ended up in the garage and outside garage at home. This has put both my NBs under the awning off the outside garage. While this does protect them both from rain, the summer humidity is another question and the amount of dust/dirt (I live on a dirt road) and the sun is beating on them from the sides. The awning was only built for the tractor and boat. It not a 100% water proof solution either.

I need help in finding two car covers for both NBs. Brand wise, I'm looking for something that has decent quality to it and has some sort of breathable material that can at least repel small amount of water. Does anyone know of a brand that does the job? UV, breathable, dust/dirt repellent, mold resistance, etc. Any help into a direction would help.

Travyss
04-14-2015, 02:17 PM
Maybe have a look at Covercraft (http://www.covercraft.com/carcovers/custom_car_covers.html)?

I only suggest because I purchased a sunshade form them and it was top notch in quality.

Phatmiata
04-14-2015, 02:18 PM
the ones I use are the Stormproof Mazda Miata Car Cover, not sure if they are still available since I bought mine many years ago, they cost about $200+

Check with MiataRoadster.com Project-GLA.com or the other sponsors to see what they can offer.

Phatmiata
04-14-2015, 02:24 PM
Maybe have a look at Covercraft (http://www.covercraft.com/carcovers/custom_car_covers.html)?

I only suggest because I purchased a sunshade form them and it was top notch in quality.

^^ the WeatherGuard looks identical to what I got last time, price is higher but I bought mine back in 2010?

TNRooster3
04-14-2015, 10:28 PM
Back in fall of 2013 I bought the Mosom Plus Car Covers by Coverking from MossMiata.com for my wife's NB and it has done great so far, it was around $87 during a sales promotion of some kind, they sell for $99.95 reg. price. I keep her car under a carport. That's my 2 cents.

Agent☣Orange
04-14-2015, 11:45 PM
Robbie,

If youre going to prime half your post on dilemma and unforseen misfortune, you can't leave us hanging (albeit in another thread) IMO.

SM16RMSM
04-19-2015, 03:29 PM
Should have left the juicy story out then? Just trying to get everyone fired up so I could get a few more opinions.

My poor Miatas are sitting outside and I'm pissed needless to say. I'll be home towards the end of April and that a project I need to get done within my 7 days home.

SM16RMSM
04-19-2015, 03:37 PM
Besides, I don't have a chance to have a internet connection either.

roadsternut
04-23-2015, 04:50 PM
Cheap breathable universal cover combined with Carband; works a treat. The cover stays on snugly, the corners of the car are protected. All covers eventually fall apart due to the elements. Carband has a lifetime warranty.

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n109/saz9961/P1120989_zpsibgfgvmy.jpg

kung fu jesus
04-24-2015, 07:59 AM
I had a California Cover (IIRC) that came with my NB. It wasn't waterproof, which was fine. It blocked the majority of the sun, fit great, easy to put on and remove. I liked that it had a grommet on the bottom, near the center of the doors at the rocker. I used a bungee cord there under the car to help keep it in place when the weather was windy.

davzway
09-25-2015, 04:49 PM
Using two cover,, first 1992 heavily modified for racing, have back again and it sits outside (dirt road in National Forrest) full time with Storm King 'Silvergard Plus',, silvery finish does reflect heat and microfiber underside protects cars finish (heavier than one below) only draw back is it doesn't 'BREATHE' like the one below so if water sits on cover you can find condensation underneath which can affect car finish in long haul. Need to remove cover weekly or whatever for your circumstances and wax etc.

the 2011 Touring PRHT which is my favorite DD and all around fun car is parked under a free standing canopy, which is anchored and tied down to H___ and back, and the canopy normally good for five years of providing a 'roof' over the car to protect from rain and general debris etc from surrounding trees. The car is covered with Stormgard from MossMiata which is the BEST cover you can buy for exterior exposure; it is the lightest, most 'breathable' without condensation underneath and most compact when folded. (ALWAYS make sure cover is dry and wiped clean prior to folding, and especially before storing folded for any period of time. Personally use towel to wipe dirt and other contamination from cover surface before removing, folding to center from both sides, rolling from front to back in removing cover, and reinstalling from rear to front, unfolding to sides and use mirror as anchor points to finish installing the cover. Have cable to lock the sides together at middle points- ONLY if heavy storm is expected, otherwise elastic fit of bottom ... This is more money; however, lightweight and greater durability it's the only cover I would buy and if you want to travel with a cover, it folds into the smallest package for transport compared to others.

wannafbody
09-25-2015, 09:35 PM
If it's outside a breathable cover that allows the moisture to evaporate is a must.

AmazeBallz
09-25-2015, 09:38 PM
Maybe if you drove your car once a year, you wouldn't need a cover... Just a thought.