PDA

View Full Version : The miata that waited, a love story

Pages : [1] 2

I<3flippyheadlights
01-20-2012, 09:34 AM
Ha bet I dragged you in with that title. Anyway, I figured it was time I made a build thread for my lovely little car Amy but first some background story! It all started in 1996 when my father purchased his Miata. For the next ten or so years I would love this car, had great memories driving with my Dad in this car and hoped one day I could own one. It was a sad day when my Dad had to sell it to help pay bills during a bad time in our lives. I had always wanted one since and it has been one of my dream cars. After getting my first car I had still wanted a Miata but never thought I could afford one, so I kept dreaming. Eventually I got tired of driving other cars, cars with seats for friends, more "reliable" to people and hard topped cars. I finally wanted a Miata. So my search began. I joined a lot of Miata sites to start reading up on things and asking for opinions, I also joined tampabaymiatas.net which also helped when looking for my future car. Well in Florida all NAs are really high priced. I kept finding crappy car after crappy car and was losing hope. I needed to find something fast because people wanted to buy my car. Well I thought I had found one, it was a 97 M, low miles, decent paint, a very huge maintenance history and I loved it.

They let me drive the car for the weekend. The mans reasoning was if I drove it for a weekend I could find out if I really wanted it and if something went wrong I couldn't come back and blame him. This Miata was great but something didn't feel right. It didn't have that pep, the zest of a Miata so I looked at its huge file of maintenance records and I found the people had turned down some services offered by shops. It made me feel uncomfortable and uneasy. Took it to a shop and they believed something in the block was bad and for 3500 bucks for the price of the car , I didn't want to find out. At this point I was heartbroken. I thought I had found my car but to no avail it had failed.

So I started my search again and I called a local Mazda shop by the name of Maztech to see if the owner knew anyone selling a Miata. When I called Jeff the owner told me he didn't know anyone, but before I said bye he told me he just bought a Miata. It was a 1990 that a customer sold him on the cheap because he didn't want to fix the water pump, timing belt, and clutch. He explained he did all the maintenance on it but it needed a lot of work cosmetically. He didn't make it sound like a good car and I didn't even want to go. But, I did and I had found my car. When I pulled up she was under a tree, she was seven shades of red, had a dilapidated top, crappy wheels and a dirty inside. But when I drove her I feel in love. This car felt like no other Miata and I needed to have it. While driving I came across a few problems. Brakes were stiff, rough idle and I think something else but I forgot. I was preparing myself for a very high price so when I got back I asked. He explained he wanted 1500. It was the cost of the parts and work, plus the body of the car. He also explained he would fix the other things before selling it. My friend Javier told me I needed to buy that car, and I did. I took her home about a week later after selling my car and I couldn't be happier. Everywhere I drove I had a smile on my face because I finally owned my dream car. This is what it looked like after I got it home.

Thus began the journey of me losing my mind on this car.

I<3flippyheadlights
01-20-2012, 09:40 AM
So whats the first thing you do when you get a car? You clean it! So I did, I also painted my wheels and added a HD lip.

I also got the peeling leather off my steering wheel and replaced what was my shift boot with a red one from an RX7. I thought it was neat. My best friends in the world helped me do this all day, and our reward was five guy :D

I<3flippyheadlights
01-20-2012, 09:43 AM
moar pictures!

I also replaced my finish panel that was broken. Now my Amy looked better. Oh and on the first day I drove her home she over heated on the highway. The radiator was broken and wasn't working at 60+ mph. Jeff replaced it the next day.

I<3flippyheadlights
01-20-2012, 09:54 AM
Well those daisies didn't last too long. There was an add on craigslist for a guy who had tons of stuff for sale and I already bought my finish panel from him so I went back again. I walked away with the 6 spoke stock wheels, new tires on them for just 150 bucks. I also got a full set of koni's for just 100 bucks. I went for the R package lips, they were bought before I got there, but I think I got something much better out of it. And I also got the window trim for just 10 dollars! But, I don't have any pictures so moving on.

I eventually got a new top, turn signal intakes and had the urge to get new wheels and tires. Stock was boring and then this happened.

I had no idea what I was in for and these wheels were too big and I was in 400 bucks deep. Then along came Chris Juliano, who is a good friend and a great person to deal with. He wanted something with a lower offset/wider and I wanted something that would fit. So he traded me his 6Ul's all the way from Pittsburgh. Also during this time I picked up a GV lip (fake cause I'm poor) and sent my car into the shop to be painted. It felt strange not having my car for the 3 days it was gone. In fact I was like a worried parent. Wanting to call to make sure everything was ok, that the people were taking care of her. It was all very strange. But when I got my Amy back she was perfect! I didn't plan on this color, and in fact chose it last second and it was worth it.

This is how she sits now, along with some of her and my new friends.

Big change right?

I<3flippyheadlights
01-20-2012, 09:59 AM
MOAR!

All these pictures were from a photo shoot some local guys and I did. I have to say without the huge influence of the community I wouldn't keep striving to make my car better. My next plans are to make it lower, different exhaust, intake and new AFM, seats and wheel. Oh and MOAR STICKERS! Then way future me will want a turbo so that will happen one day, but that is after two things. 1, I learn more about building an engine with a turbo and 2, learning how to drive with the power I have. I plan on doing my first auto cross in the next month or so. Well that is it and if you read all of this thank you so much for your time. Now someone else has an insight on to why I love this car so much.

The Driver
01-20-2012, 10:23 AM
And the saga continues...

Cool story bro... No, really! ;)

afc2112
01-20-2012, 10:33 AM
Never knew you had gold daisies.

fitftw
01-20-2012, 11:46 AM
That's the Mazda2 Spirit Green Metallic paint right??? I love that! I've been dreaming about painting mine Samba Green from the old Del Sol, but I like how nice the new green is. Also, that pic of the Miata hiding in the parking garage is EVIL. Awesome.

Tekel
01-20-2012, 11:50 AM
mmmmmmmmmm 5guys.

Did they paint the enginebay/trunk/door sills also?

weeata
01-20-2012, 11:55 AM
Nice progress with your car, it looks sharp in that color. I love the 'Angry Miata' picture! That's funny.

I<3flippyheadlights
01-20-2012, 12:27 PM
No the inside of my car is still red, I call her Amy the Watermelon now. Thank you everyone for the compliments ^^

The Driver
01-20-2012, 01:00 PM
MOAR!

All these pictures were from a photo shoot some local guys and I did. I have to say without the huge influence of the community I wouldn't keep striving to make my car better. My next plans are to make it lower, different exhaust, intake and new AFM, seats and wheel. Oh and MOAR STICKERS! Then way future me will want a turbo so that will happen one day, but that is after two things. 1, I learn more about building an engine with a turbo and 2, learning how to drive with the power I have. I plan on doing my first auto cross in the next month or so. Well that is it and if you read all of this thank you so much for your time. Now someone else has an insight on to why I love this car so much.

Where this taken at the Marshall Center parking garage. over @ USF?

I<3flippyheadlights
01-20-2012, 01:19 PM
No it was a random garage in the westshore area

shenanigan
01-20-2012, 01:47 PM
i <3 Amy :)

afc2112
01-20-2012, 02:31 PM
Where this taken at the Marshall Center parking garage. over @ USF?

It would make sense to shoot there if we ever want to do another garage shoot. We can even do it on the same day as one of the USF car meets...

Though, I think I'd prefer the one near the library & the Education bldg.

i <3 Amy :)

Amy is like the nerdy girl in the movies that turns into a pretty girl by the end...lol

Adam
01-20-2012, 07:47 PM
I like it! Thought to paint the 6ULs?

I<3flippyheadlights
01-21-2012, 12:14 AM
She is finally pretty. And I did think about painting them black, but I love the dark bronze

Conundrum
01-21-2012, 08:18 AM
Nice progress, that color definitley pops. Looks good. I went through my fair share of cars when looking too (11 NAs and 1 NC).

ChrisJuliano
01-21-2012, 03:20 PM
Wheels look good on your car! I already miss them:D

Zed CZ
01-23-2012, 07:51 AM
I like Amy, nice touch with that color, she is nicely poisoned! :)

XCLR8TN
01-23-2012, 08:20 AM
Angry Miata FTW! And I didn't realize your green was spirit green! Looks great!

I<3flippyheadlights
01-23-2012, 10:57 AM
Wheels look good on your car! I already miss them:D

These wheels are amazing, they are so light I really feel the difference.

Also it is Spirit green! I love the mazda 2 and the crazy green and had to have it once I saw it.

afc2112
01-24-2012, 08:58 AM
I'll just leave these here.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7017/6752590969_9c5c862ffd_b.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7003/6752658335_86ac1554a5_b.jpg

The Driver
01-24-2012, 10:16 AM
It would make sense to shoot there if we ever want to do another garage shoot. We can even do it on the same day as one of the USF car meets...

Though, I think I'd prefer the one near the library & the Education bldg.

Amy is like the nerdy girl in the movies that turns into a pretty girl by the end...lol

After Hammerhead's parking "adventures", it's miracle that Miata's aren't banned on campus... ;)

I<3flippyheadlights
01-24-2012, 12:38 PM
Thanks Arvin!

and what are these "parking adventures"?

I<3flippyheadlights
01-24-2012, 12:38 PM
Thanks Arvin!

The Driver
01-24-2012, 01:28 PM
Thanks Arvin!

:anonymous: :whistle:

Ummm, I don't know... Now that I live in a small city, I'm the "uncooth country bumpkin" in the group and I no longer get invited to the "cool kid's party". I'm not one to tell, but I hear something about doing the entire parking garage, sideways or something like that... ;)

ChrisJuliano
01-25-2012, 05:37 PM
Sounds fun^^^

Blueiii
02-25-2012, 12:23 PM
Dig this color. Years ago I had a Geo Storm (when I say "years," I mean over a decade.) I had it painted the Del Sol "Samba Green" and have been debating, when I get my miata, doing a green and black car again. This is almost exactly what I've been considering!!! I love the color. Kudos to you!

jellyR
02-27-2012, 04:19 AM
I love that and it really looks fabulous. I also want to paint my car before for it to look better but i end up buying a new one. I decided to begin looking around for a new car a couple of months before I knew I would actually need one. I found out that Mazda was a good fit for me because it is edgy and reliable. I went to a dealership in Valparaiso to get the car I needed and walked away very happy. The experts at the dealership were able to get me the perfect car. I went to Valparaiso Mazda (http://www.cardealexpert.com/dealer/69136/IN-Valparaiso-Kennedy-Mazda) to find my dream car. Choosing a car is an important decision that merits careful planning.

Blueiii
02-27-2012, 02:07 PM
Strange.... I feel dumber for having read this post.... Why does it read like a Nigerian scam?
V
V
V

I love that and it really looks fabulous. I also want to paint my car before for it to look better but i end up buying a new one. I decided to begin looking around for a new car a couple of months before I knew I would actually need one. I found out that Mazda was a good fit for me because it is edgy and reliable. I went to a dealership in Valparaiso to get the car I needed and walked away very happy. The experts at the dealership were able to get me the perfect car. I went to Valparaiso Mazda to find my dream car. Choosing a car is an important decision that merits careful planning.

The Driver
02-27-2012, 03:44 PM
Strange.... I feel dumber for having read this post.... Why does it read like a Nigerian scam?
V
V
V

We are looking into it... :ninja:

MazRoadAdmin
02-27-2012, 04:50 PM
IP address in the Philippines, pushing links to a car dealer in Indiana.

Goodbye.

I<3flippyheadlights
02-27-2012, 05:23 PM
I was gonna say first post is strong...

Blueiii
02-27-2012, 06:55 PM
I <3 flippy.... Not sure about legality, but its an easy fix. . . back in the day of my similarly green car, I removed the side markers and covered in el-cheapo window tint. I always liked that look, and the lights were more than bright enough to be seen. Plus, its easily reversible. Just a thought after seeing your car. The green brings back memories. . . (If I go green, I will be doing. . . )

Mexican_Guy
03-03-2012, 12:10 AM
nice color dude!

I<3flippyheadlights
03-18-2012, 02:31 AM
So a little bit of an update on the car since my last post. I have lowered the car, I'm rocking Tein-S springs over my Koni yellows. I installed my autopower roll bar, I'm stitching a seat together, put in a nardi and tried to put in my new exhaust. (It gave me problems so I'll have to tackle it another day).

ON TO THE PICTURES! *warning, the images you are about to see are attempts at me trying to be a photographer... with a cell phone. It also has a mix of pictures a friend took, editing software, friends cars and the pictures will probably be huge. Brace yourselves*

http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o623/Iheartmiatas/gettinggas.jpg

Mine is in the center obviously, thanks Arvin!

http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o623/Iheartmiatas/seatbuild.jpg

Trying to make a cheap seat!

http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o623/Iheartmiatas/WP_000237.jpg

Such a pretty miata :fab:

http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o623/Iheartmiatas/WP_000234.jpg

And me being an idiot with photo editing software. I stumbled on saturation curves! :teehee:

Anyway thats the updates.

Next on the list!
1. Putting on my new (to me exhaust) jasma header, bosol cat back exhuast stupid rusted bolts :cry2:
2. Install Planet miata side skirts
3. Get around to that seat
4. MOAR STICKERS! :roll:
5. Maybe new headlights????

Anyway thanks for looking at my stuff folks! :D

I<3flippyheadlights
03-18-2012, 02:44 AM
More pictures?

Well here is the picture before the editor got to it.
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o623/Iheartmiatas/WP_000234-1.jpg

From behind :whistle:
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o623/Iheartmiatas/WP_000233.jpg

Then I tried to use a panorama shot as a wide angle shot and failed but its worth another picture eh?
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o623/Iheartmiatas/HTC_000003.jpg

Maybe I should buy a nice fancy camera like the other folks on here.... hmmm

Johnnie
03-20-2012, 11:04 PM
With proper lighting, that last shot could come out awesome!

I<3flippyheadlights
03-21-2012, 12:12 AM
With proper lighting, that last shot could come out awesome!

I figured that. I'm no photographer and all of these were taken on my windows phone at a random spot. Thank you for the encouragement, photography is starting to grow on me and I have the urge to buy a camera....

psulja
03-21-2012, 09:36 AM
I feel the same way, but since I don't have money to buy a nice camera I usually drive to my sister's place to play with her camera whenever I start wishing I had a nice one. Sometimes all the settings on a proper camera get overwhelming though and I just get frustrated and start snapping pictures quickly lol...

p.s- love the color of your car!

afc2112
04-01-2012, 11:25 AM
This page needs photos, so here's a couple from yesterday's picnic.

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/560489_10100888459451981_5017716_56067777_14660371 89_n.jpg

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/558607_10100888458364161_5017716_56067757_26883363 3_n.jpg

I<3flippyheadlights
04-01-2012, 09:59 PM
Need moar pictures!

I<3flippyheadlights
04-01-2012, 10:00 PM
I feel the same way, but since I don't have money to buy a nice camera I usually drive to my sister's place to play with her camera whenever I start wishing I had a nice one. Sometimes all the settings on a proper camera get overwhelming though and I just get frustrated and start snapping pictures quickly lol...

p.s- love the color of your car!

I feel like I would be overwhelmed also, but it could be a cool hobby. Not to sure, and thank you :3:

I<3flippyheadlights
04-02-2012, 06:28 AM
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o623/Iheartmiatas/thetwoNAs.jpg
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o623/Iheartmiatas/movin.jpg
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o623/Iheartmiatas/verysex.jpg

Got rid of the 6UL's, now I'm rocking OG sans. I can really feel the weight difference but its not important to me. Planet miata side skirts are in, along with some new vent rings!

WASABI
04-02-2012, 07:10 AM
[IMG]http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o623/Iheartmiatas/movin.jpg

Got rid of the 6UL's, now I'm rocking OG sans.

Lovin' the new wheels! They fit the attitude of the car much better, and the color combo looks great against the green.

-Jim

morr
04-02-2012, 07:37 AM
^Agreed! The new wheels look great on there.

I<3flippyheadlights
04-02-2012, 03:26 PM
Thanks guys! People say I change my wheels too often but I think i found something I like and it fits the car! Now to finish all the other million things!

psulja
04-02-2012, 11:12 PM
The new wheels look pretty good, although I think I liked the 6UL's a little more, but that might just be because I've always been a fan of bronze wheels and wasn't really a fan of black with polished lip. (Like in that picture you posted in the other thread, the wheels disappear). Either way, the car looks great! Keep it up, looking forward to more updates.

I<3flippyheadlights
04-02-2012, 11:24 PM
Here is my thing on my wheels. I loved my 6ul's, very light, looked good, strong wheels. But they were just too small. If I could go back I would want a 15x8 and they would be fine. Now what I REALLY love is mesh. I can't afford SSR mesh and I don't like enkei 92's so my only choice was OG sans. But problems with those also. While they fit perfectly, they are heavy and they don't have a polished lip. Its aluminum brushed, and you can't get them polished because of a weird lip they have. :angry:

But I love them, love the way they fit and hope I have these longer then 2 months.

And don't wish to see more updates! That means I spent money!!!!

psulja
04-02-2012, 11:31 PM
And don't wish to see more updates! That means I spent money!!!!

I'd rather see you updating than me lol, it's always easier to check out other people's builds than do your own :teehee:

I<3flippyheadlights
04-02-2012, 11:33 PM
fact

But I am guilty of spending money. Just ordered something tonight and buying stuff tomorrow.... I CAN'T STOP!

psulja
04-02-2012, 11:36 PM
It gets addicting, but that's what I like to hear! I'll be waiting for you to post up what it is you got/are planning to get.

I<3flippyheadlights
04-02-2012, 11:39 PM
muhahahahah I can't wait either!

corkscrew
04-03-2012, 07:15 PM
The new wheels look great

Johnnie
04-03-2012, 08:57 PM
Digging the new wheels. Good look.

Nabisco
04-15-2012, 12:50 PM
I know where you are coming from in your story. Patience always pays off. Driving it home for the first time felt great didn't it?

I<3flippyheadlights
04-15-2012, 01:52 PM
I know where you are coming from in your story. Patience always pays off. Driving it home for the first time felt great didn't it?

Yes I did. I haven't smiled so much in a long time

I<3flippyheadlights
05-29-2012, 12:36 AM
So its been a while since I updated and I haven't really done anything. Had a guy I work with want to do a photoshoot of my car which was pretty cool. Also bought a camera the day before and took my hand at taking pictures.
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o623/Iheartmiatas/carandme.jpg
This is the only picture I have from the photoshoot so far. He is going to email them to me when they are done because I don't want to take them off facebook :P

http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o623/Iheartmiatas/DSC_0023.jpg
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o623/Iheartmiatas/DSC_0034.jpg
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o623/Iheartmiatas/DSC_0035.jpg
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o623/Iheartmiatas/DSC_0056.jpg

I'm trying to figure out what my next move is going to be. I'm trying to get a bikini top, frame rails, fix the small rust hole under the car, shifter rebuild and thats it. Thanks for looking folks, love whoring the pictures.

WASABI
05-29-2012, 07:40 AM
Looking good Flippy!

morr
05-29-2012, 09:52 AM
I think the bikini top would definitely be a good addition.

I<3flippyheadlights
05-29-2012, 11:36 AM
I'm dying from the direct sunlight in florida, its a need at this point

afc2112
05-29-2012, 03:38 PM
do you not have a/c?

I<3flippyheadlights
05-29-2012, 08:02 PM
I do, but it has a leak somewhere so its mediocre at best. Also it makes my car sound like it has a supercharger...

morr
05-30-2012, 05:50 PM
Yeah, the heat here is bad enough since my HT is bolted on and I never turn on the AC. I have a DIY solution for a bikini top though :ninja:

Boostedbeaner
05-30-2012, 08:08 PM
Awesome read and love you have for your car

:D

I<3flippyheadlights
05-30-2012, 09:08 PM
Yeah, the heat here is bad enough since my HT is bolted on and I never turn on the AC. I have a DIY solution for a bikini top though :ninja:

cut the window out? :P

And thanks BB, its come a long way. Still has a long way to go

morr
05-31-2012, 07:10 AM
cut the window out? :P

And thanks BB, its come a long way. Still has a long way to go

Haha nope! My buddy has one for his Jeep (for $50) and it's only slightly bigger than a Miata one, so with a bit of trimming/stitching you've got a budget bikini top :)

I<3flippyheadlights
05-31-2012, 11:10 AM
Never thought of that....

I<3flippyheadlights
06-03-2012, 04:39 PM
So I got a lot of parts coming in. Some maintenance, some other... Very excited

I<3flippyheadlights
06-07-2012, 02:34 PM
So I got my "new" exhaust. I have had it for a few months now and haven't been able to put it in due to rusted bolts on my cat. Well my friends, Dad has a shop with lifts so I brought it to him and paid him to let me use the lift. He also helped me with the work. The headers were easy to get off, and so was the cat back. But the cat was so fucking difficult!

We torched the bolts, snapped the studs, couldn't get the studs out, torched again, greased, welded, drilled, rethreaded. In short, it was an experience. But in the end we finally got it all together! Now its nothing special, just a JASMA header and a bosol cat back exhaust. Its 2 and 1/2 inch but the header is a 4-2-1 and the best part, its not rusted through! I can finally drive my car without hearing a million cans rattling!!!!

I don't have a lot of pictures, so this is the after.
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o623/Iheartmiatas/My%20Green%20Miata/DSC_0125.jpg

I also wrapped the headers in heat wrap. This was my first time doing it and I did it wrong. I didn't know I had to soak the stuff first. When I found out, it was already wrapped and coated in silicone spray. After putting it on, the car smelled like a 1000 asses just let loose the taco bell they had for lunch in my car. IT WAS SO BAD! But now its fine. Feels great to have back pressure, nice calm sound, and no rusty crap!

http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o623/Iheartmiatas/My%20Green%20Miata/DSC_0129.jpg
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o623/Iheartmiatas/My%20Green%20Miata/DSC_0128.jpg
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o623/Iheartmiatas/My%20Green%20Miata/DSC_0130.jpg

and heres the extra that feel off :P
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o623/Iheartmiatas/My%20Green%20Miata/DSC_0131.jpg

Now I have more little stuff to do. I have a leak into my trunk and my carpet is soaked. Gonna rip it all out and maybe drill holes. I also have to get new regulators because I have a gap between my top and window due to crappy, broken windows. Water in the car sucks, my seat smells like... ass. So thats it for now, more to come soon!

I<3flippyheadlights
06-08-2012, 12:02 PM
So I got to rebuild my shifter today. This is what I'm working with.
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o623/Iheartmiatas/My%20Green%20Miata/DSC_0132.jpg
Top boot, and ebay short shifter. (comes with bushings and such)
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o623/Iheartmiatas/My%20Green%20Miata/DSC_0136.jpg
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o623/Iheartmiatas/My%20Green%20Miata/DSC_0137.jpg

So I went outside to the car, got relaxed and starting pulling stuff apart. Well I found this awesomness.
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o623/Iheartmiatas/My%20Green%20Miata/DSC_0139.jpg
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o623/Iheartmiatas/My%20Green%20Miata/DSC_0141.jpg

It was so nasty! Well I pulled that crap out, wiped things down and started unbolting more.
This is what I had left over
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o623/Iheartmiatas/My%20Green%20Miata/DSC_0142.jpg
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o623/Iheartmiatas/My%20Green%20Miata/DSC_0143.jpg
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o623/Iheartmiatas/My%20Green%20Miata/DSC_0144.jpg
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o623/Iheartmiatas/My%20Green%20Miata/DSC_0145.jpg

My top boot was destroyed, the lower was melted away, and bushing basically fell out, and the dirtiest oil came out of the shifter. Well i don't have pictures of putting it together because of all the grease on my hands and didn't want to touch my camera. But, I can say the ebay short shifter was total crap. On the eBay craptastic scale, it was a solid 7. But for 28 bucks I got all the stuff to rebuild my old shifter. :fab:

So I ripped my old shifter apart, put the new pieces on, then put it all back together. I put the new upper boot back on, slapped everything back together and my shifter feels awesome! I had to have a sit down with Amy, she thinks that bushings and boots are for wimps. I had to give her a scolding, she cried, we hugged and now everything is excellent!

hippari
06-25-2012, 06:39 PM
berry nice! So I take that the feel of a rebuilt shifter is mos def everything and a bag of chips everyone says it is? What was junky about the ebay short shifter, btw?

I<3flippyheadlights
06-25-2012, 09:11 PM
Well I couldn't get the eBay shifter to fit! It would sit low enough and the bearing in the front of the shifter didn't match the pilot thingie... (my vocabulary and knowledge of car parts are astounding, I know) But apparently that part doesn't exist in later models. But it really isn't a "short shifter". The metal ring they give you to replace your upper boot just doesn't let you shift as far. I know that sounds strange but switching from a rubber boot that moves, to a metal ring that doesn't. It gives the feel of a short shifter. But, I really do love it. My shifts are smoother, cleaner, and my shit doesn't jiggle around in gear... and I can find first gear!

I<3flippyheadlights
07-01-2012, 05:01 PM
PHOTODUMP BECAUSE I LOVE WHORING MY CAR OUT TO EVERYONE MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o623/Iheartmiatas/My%20Green%20Miata/7267927594_ca5cc2e1af_o.jpg
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o623/Iheartmiatas/My%20Green%20Miata/7275352188_366db0357c_o.jpg
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o623/Iheartmiatas/My%20Green%20Miata/7268454710_28914402ef_o.jpg
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o623/Iheartmiatas/My%20Green%20Miata/7275349994_4f0de6900f_o.jpg
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o623/Iheartmiatas/My%20Green%20Miata/7267926194_85cd36cddd_o.jpg
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o623/Iheartmiatas/My%20Green%20Miata/7268915302_91e9ea7622_o.jpg

Anyway, don't really know where I sit with my car. Getting bored in a way because I want to do stuff to my car but its my daily driver and I don't want it down for more then a day. When I say do "stuff" I mean supercharge/turbocharge. I don't have the funds, time, place and I don't think I want to invest more money into a green and red miata from 1990 with a oil burning 1.6l with an open diff. So what is the answer? POUR MONEY INTO ANOTHER CAR! I am keeping the my Miata because I love the thing to death, but I have to know when to stop and not be silly with my money. It will continue to be my DD and be the car I can depend on. She will be my rock. I will still buy things, maintenance, etc. Speaking of I have a plan for my Bikini top if it doesn't sell. Still some things I want to get but they might be left for other people to buy me. Christmas/birthday gifts for example.

Now what car have I chosen for all my money? Well it sort of just fell in my lap. I'm still working it out but its a 1987 MR2. It belongs to a friend and has been sitting for a few years. She drove it everyday then something broke and it cost to much to fix. "serious engine problems". She always told me she was gonna fix it but her life is super busy so I got a text asking if I wanted it. She would give it to me for free as long as I could tow it away and promise her it would run again. Sounds like a deal to me! :shocked:

Unfortunatley because she is so busy its hard to get a hold of her. Also, the car is at her parents and they don't get along to well. Its going to be an adventure. In the end I figure MR2's come turbo'd/supercharged so it would be a better candidate for my first boosted car then my Miata that won't die. *knocks on wood*
Enough rambling, you people like pictures!

http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o623/Iheartmiatas/My%20Green%20Miata/7275350652_174d00c1a6_o.jpg

This is the photographers car. He wanted a shot of our cars together.... wtf was he thinking?
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o623/Iheartmiatas/My%20Green%20Miata/7268912782_bbe31be164_o.jpg

zombie, zip-tied lip!
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o623/Iheartmiatas/My%20Green%20Miata/7267930502_9a2a622a30_o.jpg

afc2112
07-03-2012, 11:00 AM
Hooray for getting your header on there!

What's the status on the project that Shenanigan is working for on for you?

Car looks awesome, btw. And I can't wait to see your deuce.

I<3flippyheadlights
07-03-2012, 11:29 AM
That whole exhaust was beyond retarded. The seat? pft no idea and I really want my new car!

Mia95
07-03-2012, 11:38 AM
Loving the pictures! And the photographer's car is nice and everything, but it kinda needed to stay the hell outta the shot haha. ;P

I want to rebuild my shifter so bad. I know it has to be destroyed right about now...

I<3flippyheadlights
07-03-2012, 11:49 AM
Its not that tough and well worth the 70 bucks.

But what you SHOULD buy, is my Bikini top :P

hippari
07-03-2012, 04:30 PM
Car's looking good! Favourite picture is the first one with the lights up like she's awake and ready to party. lol

you should totally grab that MR2 though! Hopefully the body is straight, but if the Miata ever felt like an impractical or uncomfortable car, it's about to look lexus status. lol If worse comes to worse and you can't fix whatever's in the MR2, A-series engines for Toyotas are dime a dozen. You can go cheap and pick up a 4a-fe from a corolla for beans, or swap in an ITB'd 4a-ge. Just don't neglect Amy. =p

I<3flippyheadlights
07-03-2012, 07:46 PM
Well with a new project Amy won't get as much attention. She will be driven every day and loved for how dependable she is, but that is the extent of it. I will fix things when they need it, buy a thing here or there and thats about it. Love the car, can't do much more then I have. (no more flashy stuff, just isn't worth the money). I'm just hoping the MR2 doesn't have rust. Thats the main point. The engines are cheap so I'm not to worried. The plan in the end to have it supercharged (how they come for the factory but more boost) or a 20V with IRTB's (because toyotas need IRTB's). The silvertop or black top can be had for around 1500 and with my budget 3000, its well worth it. I'm so pumped to get this thing!

I<3flippyheadlights
07-08-2012, 09:04 PM
So today I set up a play date with some fellow car enthusiasts. Amy was very excited and so was I to take some pictures. An even better part was to see a friend that has been MIA due to his new job. Well this friend decided to buy a 2nd gen MR2 with a 3rd gen turbocharged engine. Needless to say its pretty freaking fast. We were also joined by our friend Connor in his Turbo wagon. Needless to say Amy felt left out with no turbo. But, that didn't get to her at all. Through the corners she kept up very nicely and put a big ol' grin on my face. :lol:

Then I checked my oil and burned through a half a quart! :shocked: Ya she burns some oil when I push it but its all in good fun. Then we got together and took some pictures. First off, hot as hell today here in Florida. Second, we were fighting against the on coming rainstorm. Now to what we all want, THE PICTURES!

Photo dump:
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o623/Iheartmiatas/My%20Green%20Miata%20and%20friends/DSC_0201.jpg
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o623/Iheartmiatas/My%20Green%20Miata%20and%20friends/DSC_0210.jpg
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o623/Iheartmiatas/My%20Green%20Miata%20and%20friends/DSC_0215.jpg
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o623/Iheartmiatas/My%20Green%20Miata%20and%20friends/DSC_0218.jpg
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o623/Iheartmiatas/My%20Green%20Miata%20and%20friends/DSC_0224.jpg
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o623/Iheartmiatas/My%20Green%20Miata%20and%20friends/DSC_0225.jpg

some moving pictures
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o623/Iheartmiatas/My%20Green%20Miata%20and%20friends/DSC_0245.jpg
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o623/Iheartmiatas/My%20Green%20Miata%20and%20friends/DSC_0250.jpg
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o623/Iheartmiatas/My%20Green%20Miata%20and%20friends/DSC_0282.jpg
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o623/Iheartmiatas/My%20Green%20Miata%20and%20friends/409632_10101150033784921_436999460_n.jpg
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o623/Iheartmiatas/My%20Green%20Miata%20and%20friends/560919_10101150013989591_767519556_n.jpg
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o623/Iheartmiatas/My%20Green%20Miata%20and%20friends/557106_10101150016055451_83989254_n.jpg

And some poses
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o623/Iheartmiatas/My%20Green%20Miata%20and%20friends/603427_10101150018670211_1273738069_n.jpg
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o623/Iheartmiatas/My%20Green%20Miata%20and%20friends/DSC_0334.jpg
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o623/Iheartmiatas/My%20Green%20Miata%20and%20friends/DSC_0327.jpg
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o623/Iheartmiatas/My%20Green%20Miata%20and%20friends/DSC_0319.jpg
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o623/Iheartmiatas/My%20Green%20Miata%20and%20friends/DSC_0315.jpg
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o623/Iheartmiatas/My%20Green%20Miata%20and%20friends/DSC_0312.jpg
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o623/Iheartmiatas/My%20Green%20Miata%20and%20friends/DSC_0291.jpg

I<3flippyheadlights
07-08-2012, 09:07 PM
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o623/Iheartmiatas/My%20Green%20Miata%20and%20friends/DSC_0196.jpg
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o623/Iheartmiatas/My%20Green%20Miata%20and%20friends/DSC_0332.jpg
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o623/Iheartmiatas/My%20Green%20Miata%20and%20friends/DSC_0330.jpg

And this awesome thing
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o623/Iheartmiatas/My%20Green%20Miata%20and%20friends/DSC_0290.jpg
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o623/Iheartmiatas/My%20Green%20Miata%20and%20friends/DSC_0288.jpg

Hope everyone enjoyed! Now I'm gonna photodump in other places! Yay Internet whoring!

afc2112
07-09-2012, 08:59 AM
You were on my ass during that right hand sweeper...I need rear tires, but on the flip side, you weren't familiar with the roads...

It was fun either way. Besides, I wasn't holding you up once I accelerated out of the right hand sweeper. :)

Thanks for taking those rolling shots.

uni
07-09-2012, 11:13 AM
color is so awesome, very nice build

I<3flippyheadlights
07-09-2012, 04:30 PM
You were on my ass during that right hand sweeper...I need rear tires, but on the flip side, you weren't familiar with the roads...

It was fun either way. Besides, I wasn't holding you up once I accelerated out of the right hand sweeper. :)

Thanks for taking those rolling shots.

Maybe once you get some tires we can go at it again :D

And thanks Uni!

madufaku
07-13-2012, 08:34 AM
Great build man.

As a Volvo guy, I had to notice. Was there any mods done to the 850?

I<3flippyheadlights
07-13-2012, 08:43 AM
Why thank you. And the volvo? No he hasn't done anything yet but put prancing moose stickers around. He does plan on doing stuff to it. He just needs more money first :P

Kolbotn
07-17-2012, 02:31 PM
Love The Green Color man, and The rolling shots are really cool... I need some rolling shots too...

I<3flippyheadlights
07-18-2012, 10:21 PM
Awh well thank you. Time for moar photo whoring. Afc edited some of those rolling shots, SO I'LL POST THEM!

http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o623/Iheartmiatas/My%20Green%20Miata%20and%20friends/DSC_4695-1.jpg
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o623/Iheartmiatas/My%20Green%20Miata%20and%20friends/409632_10101150033784921_436999460_n-1.jpg

Along with stuff from the Orlando meet

http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o623/Iheartmiatas/My%20Green%20Miata%20and%20friends/miatameet2.jpg
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o623/Iheartmiatas/My%20Green%20Miata%20and%20friends/miatameet.jpg

He made me green, super green.

I<3flippyheadlights
07-21-2012, 08:31 PM
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o623/Iheartmiatas/My%20Green%20Miata%20and%20friends/WP_000071.jpg

Well I walked out to that during work a few days ago. Total hit and run, really sucks. What sucks even more is that in August I would have the car for a year and I was gonna buy something nice. Well the Maaco that painted the car wants 450 bucks to fix this dent. :gonk::cry2:

So now I have to decide what to do. Fix this dent, or I can ignore it and rebuild my head in attempts to not burn oil (If that is the problem). Hopefully I can sell this freaking bikini top that is collecting dust to fund this thing. Any opinions would be appreciated.

The Driver
07-21-2012, 08:34 PM
Dude, that just SUCKS! Sorry about the mishap!!!

ctrench
07-21-2012, 09:25 PM
they want 450 to fix a dent but they paint your whole car for $500??? and i still have my old 1.6 head if you want it, it never leaked from the valves when it was in my car

Phatmiata
07-21-2012, 09:30 PM
poor car. :cry:

I<3flippyheadlights
07-21-2012, 09:55 PM
they want 450 to fix a dent but they paint your whole car for $500??? and i still have my old 1.6 head if you want it, it never leaked from the valves when it was in my car

He explained the body lines of the car are fucked, thats why it costs so much. Its also 100 to repaint the area. I am still considering your old head (giggity) I just have to decide on what to do.

AHHthatsJDMyo
07-21-2012, 10:14 PM
this really pisses me off!

I<3flippyheadlights
07-22-2012, 03:27 AM
Same here man and I have no idea what to do.

AHHthatsJDMyo
07-22-2012, 09:35 PM
Well from what I get from you, this car will stay with you for a long time! So I would fix it.

Willywongka
07-23-2012, 12:44 AM
Damn, I REALLY feel you on what happened. I got a similar dent two days ago =(, but I was lucky enough to have the person come forward and admit fault... either way I am pretty pissed and hope this will get resolved painlessly.

Blueiii
07-23-2012, 05:55 AM
OUCH. I'm thinking its time to keep my miata hidden....

I didn't know this was a Maaco paint job? I've had mixed results with them. How has the paint held up so far? (How long ago did you get it painted?)

I<3flippyheadlights
07-23-2012, 07:55 AM
The paint has held up great actually. Its probably been about 6 months. It lives in the Florida sunshine and sees very little shaded parking. I love the paint job but it is hit or miss with Maaco.

I<3flippyheadlights
07-23-2012, 07:56 AM
Damn, I REALLY feel you on what happened. I got a similar dent two days ago =(, but I was lucky enough to have the person come forward and admit fault... either way I am pretty pissed and hope this will get resolved painlessly.

I don't understand why people have to hit our cars and why they have to hit them there!

afc2112
07-23-2012, 11:23 AM
I'm willing to bet that it's a rental car that hit you because of where you work. And it would be pretty likely because:

1) They're not used to the car
2) They don't want to admit fault because it's a rental

Gene Rodriguez
07-24-2012, 11:19 AM
ouch -_-

WASABI
07-26-2012, 10:00 PM
http://www.fagerquist.com/miata/Miata Gusta.jpg

Sorry to hear. I hope she gets back to the beauty she was.

Demon I Am
07-26-2012, 10:17 PM
nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

ctrench
07-26-2012, 10:28 PM

lol made my day!!

I<3flippyheadlights
07-26-2012, 10:28 PM

I want to get a sticker now and put it there.... forever....

tsingson
08-08-2012, 03:08 PM
I know how you feel. I'm sure you feel like the car was violated. Get her fixed man. The car is beautiful. The color looks great. I had my Pathfinder painted at Maaco and they did a great job with. I'm going to take the Miata to the same one when I get it ready to be painted.

I<3flippyheadlights
08-27-2012, 01:00 AM
update: FUCK THE RAIN!

I'm tired of having a soft top. I'm over worrying about water coming in. I hate the smell of "funk". I'm tired of being hot while driving. Finally, I'm so done looking at this dent. Things will change soon.

atank
08-27-2012, 06:58 AM
I fell your pain brother, everything all at once, but IT will get better...........keep your head in the game!

tsingson
08-27-2012, 07:05 AM
I fell your pain brother, everything all at once, but IT will get better...........keep your head in the game!

What atank said! I still have to send you pics of the top. I have a couple of minute adjustments to make before it is perfect.

I<3flippyheadlights
08-28-2012, 10:50 PM
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o623/Iheartmiatas/My%20Green%20Miata%20and%20friends/DSC_0374.jpg
crappy cell phone picture
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o623/Iheartmiatas/My%20Green%20Miata%20and%20friends/DSC_0371.jpg

what could be going on with these miatas?

http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o623/Iheartmiatas/My%20Green%20Miata%20and%20friends/cleancarpet.jpg

Wow, my carpets don't look too bad.

http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o623/Iheartmiatas/My%20Green%20Miata%20and%20friends/DSC_0375.jpg

Arvin said he could drive my car without seats. I think its legit.

http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o623/Iheartmiatas/My%20Green%20Miata%20and%20friends/HTmiata.jpg
HOLY SHIT ITS A HARDTOP!

Thats right. I gave up the magical whimsy of rag top awesome for the responsible, sensible, sexy and water proof hard top!

I<3flippyheadlights
08-28-2012, 10:53 PM
Thats right, we swapped tops. :teehee:

Thanks to a local member having two "coupes" we decided to do a little trade. The top was red till I slapped two cans of plastidip on it. I did a terrible job. But its only temporary! I'm just glad to not have magical interior water anymore!

http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o623/Iheartmiatas/My%20Green%20Miata%20and%20friends/DSC_0377.jpg
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o623/Iheartmiatas/My%20Green%20Miata%20and%20friends/DSC_0379.jpg
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o623/Iheartmiatas/My%20Green%20Miata%20and%20friends/DSC_0380.jpg

Thanks again Arvin for the awesomeness that now is with my car!

afc2112
08-29-2012, 01:47 PM
My car looks weird...I haven't seen it without a hardtop in YEARS!

Blueiii
08-29-2012, 08:56 PM
I'm confused... you traded a leaking soft top for a hardtop?

I<3flippyheadlights
08-29-2012, 09:55 PM
It does look strange Arvin...

I'm confused... you traded a leaking soft top for a hardtop?

The top did not leak at all, it was actually pretty new. But I had a gap between my window and the top. So I swapped it and now I don't have a gap.

Phatmiata
08-29-2012, 09:59 PM
WTF BBQ so not fair!!! Congrats on your hardtop!! You will love it during the rainy season for sure!

afc2112
08-29-2012, 10:04 PM
It does look strange Arvin...

The top did not leak at all, it was actually pretty new. But I had a gap between my window and the top. So I swapped it and now I don't have a gap.

1) You're not supposed to agree.

2) I'm guessing that gap would have disappeared if you had adjusted your latches like I showed you on the hardtop...Same concept on a soft top.

I<3flippyheadlights
08-29-2012, 10:13 PM

2) I'm guessing that gap would have disappeared if you had adjusted your latches like I showed you on the hardtop...Same concept on a soft top.

I'm sorry. Your car looks awesome. So much better without a hardtop. That shit is for responsible losers who don't want the whimsy and awesomeness that comes with a rag top.

And after I thought about it... it would of probably fixed it. BUT I LOVE HARDTOP

Phatmiata
08-29-2012, 10:28 PM
Fixed that for you!

2) Dayum DAYUM DAYUUUUUUUUM

http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread.php?3635-FIVE-GUYS-it-blows-minds

http://www.cityave.org/listings/user_media/logo/images/167.jpg

SpeedWorks
08-30-2012, 10:27 PM
Hey man, your car looks sick. sucks though about the body damage. Just get it fixed and keep on with the project. the color is awesome.

I<3flippyheadlights
08-30-2012, 10:46 PM
Hey man, your car looks sick. sucks though about the body damage. Just get it fixed and keep on with the project. the color is awesome.

Funny you should say that. Its going into the shop Monday! :D

psulja
09-04-2012, 11:22 PM
Finally made it back into this thread after a while. Sorry to hear about the damage, but I don't think $500 is that bad for that damage. I got quoted $2700 to fix just my rear quarter on my NB when someone slid into me last winter. That one I left just because the body shop quotes were all ridiculous. Looking forward to seeing it all fixed up! Looks good with the hardtop.

I<3flippyheadlights
09-05-2012, 12:42 AM
Wish I could see it fixed but the shop was closed. I have no idea when I can take it either.

Willywongka
09-05-2012, 02:19 PM
Yeah, AAA paid the shop around 2300-2400 to fix/paint the door/rear quarter panel. So 500 is actually pretty damn cheap, that is if they are actually gonna throw on a good rear quarter panel.

Blueiii
09-05-2012, 03:17 PM
In for pics. :)

When you had Maaco paint yours, did you remove all the trim before it went to them? In the past, vehicles I've had painted by them peeled around any of the trim pieces (or there was a ton of overspray.) I'm talking with my local shop about taking care of some things on my current car, but part of the deal is that I will remove all the trim before bringing it in.

I<3flippyheadlights
09-05-2012, 03:30 PM
I removed some pieces and trim but not a majority of it. Very little overspray on the areas and the paint has held up well. Very well actually, it lives outside in the Florida heat. There is a LOT of overspray under the hood and on my old muffler, but no big deal when you pay 500 bucks for a spray job. I don't think they will be putting on a new quarter panel, this is Maaco. I expect it to be no where perfect, but if its somewhat gone I'll be happy. My car isn't by any means perfect, but it makes me happy with its little dents, dings and scrapes.

I<3flippyheadlights
09-11-2012, 08:29 PM
So I started leaking coolent and almost over heated the car. Awesome. Heard a pinhole coming from the heater core hoses and saw burning coolent, and smelled it. So new OEM mazda parts are 40 bucks? Fuck that, guess who is bypassing their heater core with 3 bucks!? This guy! But really, I plan on getting some replacement hoses so I can have heat again. I just couldn't go three days without a car (stupid mazda and slow shipping). I planned on getting the old glue off the inside of my hard top today, along with refreshing my door panels and fixing my exhaust. Well the hoses took a good chunk of my day and I got lazy. Got under the car to tighten bolts on my exhuast and guess what I found!?

http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o623/Iheartmiatas/My%20Green%20Miata%20and%20friends/WP_000135.jpg
This has been there since I bought the car. Plan on fixing it but the metal around it wasn't soft, so its not a big deal. ON THE OTHER HAND!

http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o623/Iheartmiatas/My%20Green%20Miata%20and%20friends/WP_000140.jpg
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o623/Iheartmiatas/My%20Green%20Miata%20and%20friends/WP_000137.jpg
This is a new one. How did I find it? Saw a small bit of rust, pushed it with my thumb and I formed a new hole! In fact, that whole "bulge" is super soft, non existent metal! So now I have this to deal with.

My hard top is still not painted, my dent is still here, my AC hasn't been touched and I'm loving/hating my car. Love it because I'm driving it again, hate it because all the work I have to do. I'm so lucky.

Willywongka
09-12-2012, 03:05 AM
I guess that's what guys in Florida have to deal with. Hang in there man!

Blueiii
09-12-2012, 07:37 AM
Florida??? Psssssht. I live in Ohio a few miles from the MI line. This is THE rust belt capital of the US. I've got some bubbling, but for the price of the car, I couldn't really pass it up. The reason I keep asking about your Maaco experience is that I've taken mine there for a quote including welding in the BTDT patch panels, removing all the dents, sanding the car out and then painting. With me removing all the trim and bumpers before bringing it in, I'm looking at nearly 2k. Worth it? I still don't know. The local Maaco manager attends my church, and he did mention that if I bring the car in November it will get a LOT more attention. I'm right on the cusp of my decision... if I land the job that I've been interviewing for recently and the pay ends up where I want it / think it should be, after the last autoX (October 14) I'll start stripping trim (mirrors, handles, etc etc etc) and take it over in November. The second question I face is.... color.

My apologies for the threadjack. Carry on!

I<3flippyheadlights
09-24-2012, 07:02 PM
Here she is, after 600 bucks worth of body work.

http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o623/Iheartmiatas/My%20Green%20Miata%20and%20friends/DSC_5034bw.jpg
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o623/Iheartmiatas/My%20Green%20Miata%20and%20friends/DSC_5043bw.jpg

I got my dent fixed, hardtop painted and a full respray. FOR JUST 600 BUCKS! Now if it perfect? Nope. Is it as good as last time? Nope. Did they leave my car absolutely filthy, break my door handle, and leave TONS of orange peel. Yup. But Its things I can fix and get over. Top it off, I was the last car that shop will EVER paint. They went out of business. Crazy things huh?

psulja
09-24-2012, 07:46 PM
Looks HAWT! Planning to get a new lip or not so much?

I<3flippyheadlights
09-24-2012, 07:53 PM
No, I love my beat up lip. It looks better when it isn't covered in dirt.

afc2112
09-24-2012, 09:50 PM
Love the first pic inside the garage.

I<3flippyheadlights
09-24-2012, 11:47 PM
You are a great photographer :D

WASABI
09-25-2012, 07:13 AM
Way to go Flippy! She looks better than ever, with the hard top and all. I must agree with

Love the first pic inside the garage.

I must agree, the green really pops in the first picture, and the beat up lip... because racecar.

tsingson
09-25-2012, 08:35 AM
Gavin, the car looks great!

Blueiii
09-25-2012, 10:59 AM
Damnit. The color I had considered looks freakin' hot. (Not sure if you saw "The Hulk" in the first page of my build thread - very similar color on a car I had painted in '98). You're not making the decision on potentially changing the color and easy one.

I<3flippyheadlights
09-25-2012, 04:12 PM
the beat up lip... because racecar.

Because shitty driver :P
I lost this thing on the highway doing 80 after going a little too fast around a turn.

Thanks everyone for the compliments!

I<3flippyheadlights
09-25-2012, 05:11 PM
So after getting my car back, it was time to jump back on to caring about the car. They left if filthy so it needed a good cleaning. The hard top still had glue from the headliner and my door handle wasn't working. So here is everything I have done today! (mix of shitty cellphone pictures and DSLR pictures)

http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o623/Iheartmiatas/My%20Green%20Miata%20and%20friends/DSC_0385.jpg
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o623/Iheartmiatas/My%20Green%20Miata%20and%20friends/DSC_0386.jpg

http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o623/Iheartmiatas/My%20Green%20Miata%20and%20friends/WP_000154.jpg
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o623/Iheartmiatas/My%20Green%20Miata%20and%20friends/WP_000155.jpg
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o623/Iheartmiatas/My%20Green%20Miata%20and%20friends/WP_000156.jpg
After an hour of inhaling Goo Gone and scraping, it was all gone!

Now I am on the mission to get rid of all the red that is noticeable in my car. When the hard top is on, you can see a tiny bit of red in the corner over the seat. So...
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o623/Iheartmiatas/My%20Green%20Miata%20and%20friends/WP_000158.jpg
What I was dealing with

http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o623/Iheartmiatas/My%20Green%20Miata%20and%20friends/WP_000159.jpg
Painted what would show

Just in case you didn't know, her name is Amy.
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o623/Iheartmiatas/My%20Green%20Miata%20and%20friends/WP_000160.jpg

But lets get serious folks. Can't have crazy murder spray paint in my car.
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o623/Iheartmiatas/My%20Green%20Miata%20and%20friends/WP_000161.jpg
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o623/Iheartmiatas/My%20Green%20Miata%20and%20friends/WP_000162.jpg

I think it looks a million times better now. Next step is doing the door jams. (that will be a later day)

So i vacuumed everything, put the carpet pins back in and took my door panels off. I'm gonna be redoing those in the next few days (if they are salvageable). Then I put it back together and took some pictures!

http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o623/Iheartmiatas/My%20Green%20Miata%20and%20friends/DSC_0387.jpg
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o623/Iheartmiatas/My%20Green%20Miata%20and%20friends/DSC_0390.jpg
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o623/Iheartmiatas/My%20Green%20Miata%20and%20friends/DSC_0392.jpg

Which picture is better?
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o623/Iheartmiatas/My%20Green%20Miata%20and%20friends/DSC_0393.jpg
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o623/Iheartmiatas/My%20Green%20Miata%20and%20friends/DSC_0395.jpg

http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o623/Iheartmiatas/My%20Green%20Miata%20and%20friends/DSC_0397.jpg
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o623/Iheartmiatas/My%20Green%20Miata%20and%20friends/DSC_0396.jpg

and a crappy picture near the water and etc.
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o623/Iheartmiatas/My%20Green%20Miata%20and%20friends/WP_000152.jpg

Hope you enjoy people!

psulja
09-25-2012, 08:44 PM
That parcel shelf looks great now! I think I might have to do that on my NB with the stripped interior. Nice work.

I<3flippyheadlights
09-25-2012, 08:46 PM
I kept my carpet, thats the best part. I was just bored, had a can of plastidip, and hated seeing red.

SpeedWorks
09-28-2012, 09:01 PM
your car is really looking nice. glad the repair work came out good and the interior work you just did is great. the car is looking really nice too with the hardtop.

keep it up man

WASABI
09-29-2012, 07:57 AM
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o623/Iheartmiatas/My%20Green%20Miata%20and%20friends/DSC_0392.jpg

Hope you enjoy people!

Great work! This is my favorite shot. The green compliments the lines of the Miata very nicely.

-Jim

I<3flippyheadlights
09-29-2012, 08:57 AM
Thanks guys :3

Still got a long way to go, but it will get there.

DK Wolf
09-29-2012, 09:05 AM
not too often you'll see a green miata. Not bad. Great thread.

However, my addiction to power pushes me to urge you to get mo'powah.
And once the car makes 250hp... start calling it the hulk.

I<3flippyheadlights
09-29-2012, 11:49 AM
Well I don't know if I want it to have power or not. Its a great DD and thats where I like it. I drive 20k miles a year (city and highway) so I don't know if I want to put the stress on the engine. I am thinking about getting a second car for a DD then turbo/supercharge the miata. But I still haven't decided. I almost pulled the trigger on an 1988 rx7 with a blown motor. But, I don't know enough about them and I want my Miata as the project, not a rx7.

Next plans for the car, AC fix (fucking florida) and fixing my rust spots (fucking florida). Then if a supercharger kit (m45) pops up I'll probably grab it.

ashmagash
10-03-2012, 12:17 PM
I love the color of your car! Almost makes me second guess painting mine gray... almost :)

I<3flippyheadlights
10-03-2012, 12:20 PM
I was about to paint to paint mine grey. But everyone was doing it, and Maaco had a neat color book. Now the door jams are black and my door panels are redone. Pictures soon.

treeafodo
10-07-2012, 08:25 AM
That is a great color, I like the black and green combo.

I<3flippyheadlights
10-10-2012, 12:31 AM
That is a great color, I like the black and green combo.

Thanks for the compliment! Didn't mean to be a black and green thing, just sort of happened. Nothing really matches with green :P

I<3flippyheadlights
10-15-2012, 12:51 AM
You like pictures? So do I! Well there is a story. So as you know, my friend Arvin bought a pretty snazy MR2. (the yellow one a few pages back) Well he called me Friday night and told me of a MR2 meet at a performance shop (the guy who owns it has a right side drive, white, MR2.. super sexy) Well, he asked if I wanted to shoot some pictures in Ybor, then go to the meet cause it was by my house. It was nice outside, I had time, LETS DO THIS SHIT!

So we took some pictures. Arvin is a fantastic photographer and has given me some awesome advice. Before, I took pictures and posted them. Now, I'm attempting to edit. Just some sharpening, leveling and some colors are darkened. I try my best when shooting, but it is tough. I also have to auto focus due to my terrible vision. Really sucks :/

Anyway! On to the pictures!
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o623/Iheartmiatas/My%20Green%20Miata%20and%20friends/DSC_0399.jpg
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o623/Iheartmiatas/My%20Green%20Miata%20and%20friends/DSC_0400.jpg
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o623/Iheartmiatas/My%20Green%20Miata%20and%20friends/DSC_0405.jpg
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o623/Iheartmiatas/My%20Green%20Miata%20and%20friends/DSC_0409-1.jpg
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o623/Iheartmiatas/My%20Green%20Miata%20and%20friends/DSC_0411-1.jpg
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o623/Iheartmiatas/My%20Green%20Miata%20and%20friends/DSC_0419.jpg

This is my shot
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o623/Iheartmiatas/My%20Green%20Miata%20and%20friends/DSC_0421.jpg

Arvins shot
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o623/Iheartmiatas/My%20Green%20Miata%20and%20friends/DSC_5089.jpg

I did sharpen it a little bit... the front wheel was so blurry it drove me insane

So at the meet some awesome cars showed up. Some awesome MR2's (all turbo'd with 3rd gen engines), supras mk IIIs, a SR swapped 240, 3 evos, Lotus Elise, and my Miata. The cool part was that my car was next to the Elise and still getting lots of compliments. The Miata was so foreign to them. They loved it :P
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o623/Iheartmiatas/My%20Green%20Miata%20and%20friends/DSC_0422.jpg
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o623/Iheartmiatas/My%20Green%20Miata%20and%20friends/DSC_5101.jpg

So whats next for the car? Well the rust is in the plans of being fixed. I will also be fixing the AC.... sometime... But next, boost! I'm learning how to solder in the next week or so. Then I am gonna build a MSPNP. Big plans, I know. But I finally have the money to do it so, LETS DO IT! :mrgreen:

I am set on a mp45 kit, but I'm having a tough time finding a kit. Might have to turbo, oh darn. :teehee:

ChrisJuliano
11-01-2012, 07:58 PM
Sell me sideskirts!

I<3flippyheadlights
11-02-2012, 08:49 AM
You crazy!

New updates soon, muhahahahahahahahhHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

artcentermiata
11-03-2012, 06:36 AM
So clean and unique! love it!

Also- how the EFF do you bend your feet that way? (talking about the parcel shelf painting picture... its creepy)

I<3flippyheadlights
11-03-2012, 10:14 AM
So clean and unique! love it!

Also- how the EFF do you bend your feet that way? (talking about the parcel shelf painting picture... its creepy)

Hearing the compliment unique coming from you really means something, thank you :3
I hope to be taking this car to new levels. Should have it done by January/February.

And I can actually move my feet further. I have no idea why, but I have always been able to do it. Balancing is the real trick.

Madaboutmx5s
11-04-2012, 12:57 AM
Very nice like the colour.

SlipNSlide
11-15-2012, 01:40 PM
That color is awesome. Definitely makes it a unique car and not just another miata! Good work so far, everything is looking really clean and well put together.

I<3flippyheadlights
11-15-2012, 02:01 PM
Hey man, thanks! Its getting there. i think the only thing that makes it unique is the color. But, I'll ride the gravy train of awesome till people realize it :P

treeafodo
11-15-2012, 02:22 PM
And I can actually move my feet further. I have no idea why, but I have always been able to do it. Balancing is the real trick.
Holy crap! I went back and looked at that, creepy for sure. :lol: I can't go nearly that far out.

I<3flippyheadlights
11-15-2012, 02:31 PM
Holy crap! I went back and looked at that, creepy for sure. :lol: I can't go nearly that far out.

When I took the picture I figured people would freak out. Oh well, my build thread is suddenly about my feet. YAY!

Willywongka
11-15-2012, 02:58 PM
I haven't jumped back on this thread in a while, but damn man Maaco really did a good job on fixing that rear quarter panel dent! And I still can't believe that is a Maaco paint job, it looks quality!

I'm glad you got it all patched up, cause I know when I was rolling around with a similar dent it was bothering the hell out of me! Either way, love your shots and the path your car is going!

I<3flippyheadlights
11-15-2012, 03:21 PM
I haven't jumped back on this thread in a while, but damn man Maaco really did a good job on fixing that rear quarter panel dent! And I still can't believe that is a Maaco paint job, it looks quality!

I'm glad you got it all patched up, cause I know when I was rolling around with a similar dent it was bothering the hell out of me! Either way, love your shots and the path your car is going!

Thanks man, really appreciate it. Unfortunately the car is now a 10 ft car. In the sun, the car looks fantastic. Get it in some shade and you see orange peel everywhere. I'm glad the dent is gone, but now I can't put a stripe on the side because the door and panel don't line up perfectly.

SlipNSlide
11-15-2012, 09:10 PM
Haha I'm not saying anything else is unique, but you definitely picked a good place to stand out! Too many ratty flat colored miatas. Now get some other aspects nailed down!

I<3flippyheadlights
11-15-2012, 09:32 PM
What else do I need to do? I plan on installing this supercharger laying around and not much more. :P

SlipNSlide
11-17-2012, 08:57 PM
I'm one of those people that never believes one "finishes" a car haha sorry didn't mean anything by it.

I<3flippyheadlights
11-18-2012, 12:12 AM
I'm the same way. it won't ever be finished. But I will tell myself that so I will take a break from spending money

SlipNSlide
11-18-2012, 05:13 AM
Story of my life. Except I'm not good at convincing myself that's it's okay where it's at!

Anyways, I'll be checking your progress! Keep it up!

I<3flippyheadlights
12-05-2012, 11:27 PM
Time for some updates!

So I have been slowly collecting parts for this winter break from school. I have an incredible amount on my plate but I want to have the supercharger installed by the end of January! (Oh ya, bought a MP45 kit :P)

So what does this entail? Well, my car burns oil. About a quart of oil every 1000 miles, its old and I understand. This is the attack plan. I'm going to soak the oil rings in ATF+motorflush. This will clean up all the shit that is on them and bump up my compression a bit more (185 across the board atm). Then I want to get the 1.6l rebuilt, install ARP head studs, new motormounts and slap the supercharger on.

But there are other things I must do first. Remember that rust? Ya, it hasn't gone away. Got a miata floorpan and a welder, just looking for time. Also, one of my calipers is leaking, guess its time to do my rear brakes!

Oh, I GOT A RACING STRIPE CAUSE I'M FAST! :P
Enough talking, time for pictures.

http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o623/Iheartmiatas/My%20Green%20Miata%20and%20friends/DSC_0625.jpg
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o623/Iheartmiatas/My%20Green%20Miata%20and%20friends/DSC_0627.jpg
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o623/Iheartmiatas/My%20Green%20Miata%20and%20friends/DSC_0635.jpg
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o623/Iheartmiatas/My%20Green%20Miata%20and%20friends/DSC_0638.jpg
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o623/Iheartmiatas/My%20Green%20Miata%20and%20friends/DSC_0641.jpg
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o623/Iheartmiatas/My%20Green%20Miata%20and%20friends/DSC_0649.jpg

Good photo dump huh? I recently got a new monitor and now I realized my photography skills are much better than I thought. On my laptop, all my pictures looked fuzzy, faded and overexposed. It was just my shitty screen. I hope these pictures are better than previous ones.

One FINAL thing. There is this neat new facebook page! Its all about flippyheadlights, not me, but the things! HOW AWESOME!?
http://www.facebook.com/IHeartFlippyHeadlights
Check
It
Out

Thanks for reading folks! <3 :teehee:

maharaj
12-06-2012, 07:14 AM
Looking good Flippy. That hardtop changes the look of the car completely!

Blueiii
12-16-2012, 04:58 PM
Where'd you get the stripe from?? I dig it. (Plus, I hate you for painting your car a color so close to what I had wanted to do.) Black 6Uls, M 1028 mirrors and JDM winkers with a black trim ring and a satin duckbill spoiler would set Amy off something fierce.

I<3flippyheadlights
12-16-2012, 05:11 PM
Where'd you get the stripe from?? I dig it. (Plus, I hate you for painting your car a color so close to what I had wanted to do.) Black 6Uls, M 1028 mirrors and JDM winkers with a black trim ring and a satin duckbill spoiler would set Amy off something fierce.

Its just a few pieces of vinyl cut up and layed down. Nothing fancy.

I had 6Ul's and I'm not a huge fan of them. Awesome wheel, very light and cheap too boot. But its not my style. I do want some new side mirrors, thinking of putting them on the hood for awesome retroness. I want different TSI's but thats money and finally I do want a rear lip and a nice KG works spoiler. I think it would make her look awesome. But the supercharger comes first. I'm tired of being slow :gonk:

Thanks for the compliments guys. I wish I had more time and a second car!

Vash
12-16-2012, 10:18 PM
I would not hesitate to say that this is my personal favorite green miata, extremely clean and subtly stylish!

I<3flippyheadlights
12-16-2012, 10:22 PM
D'awh thank you :3

Heyitsryan
12-17-2012, 03:00 PM
The car looks awesome man, I'm envious of the color.

What are you using the run the mp45? Megasquirt or FPR?

I wanted to boost/supercharge my car so badly, but priorities > car parts.

I<3flippyheadlights
12-17-2012, 03:04 PM
Well at first it was gonna be a MS set up. But I don't want to build one/pay out the ass or even tune. Thus, I'm going to a PNP easy solution. Maybe a Voodoo box from FM.

its funny that you are green with envy about a green car :P

Heyitsryan
12-17-2012, 03:11 PM
LOL! Where specifically is the color from? The Honda Element?

I<3flippyheadlights
12-17-2012, 03:17 PM
spirited green from the mazda 2

Heyitsryan
12-17-2012, 03:20 PM
Nice man, she's beautiful! Now all you need is an all red interior...then you'll really be a watermelon!

Blueiii
12-17-2012, 08:51 PM
Open the hood! Let's see that watermellony goodness.

I<3flippyheadlights
12-18-2012, 04:44 AM
I actually hate the red inside and that people call it a watermelon. :l

tsingson
12-18-2012, 08:45 AM
I thought you owned up to the adjective? It's in your profile as a watermelon custom 90.

I<3flippyheadlights
12-27-2012, 11:04 AM
I thought you owned up to the adjective? It's in your profile as a watermelon custom 90.

I thought I changed that! Guess it didn't save. No, after hearing it so much i got tired of it. I have tried to hide as much red as possible.

I<3flippyheadlights
01-06-2013, 12:24 PM
Alright, time for an update!

I soaked my engine in ATF and Motorflush for three days at an attempt to clean the oil rings. If you ever want to make a smoke machine out of your car, try this! It was insane at how much smoke came out. The car stopped burning oil and I was soooooo happy. Well a few days ago I checked the oil and I'm losing incredible amounts now. I hate old cars so much. I'll be running a compression test/leak down to figure out what the hell is happening. When I figure out whats happening to my engine the supercharger will get installed.

On to other things. I changed a motor mount, got rid of my leaky caliper, new tires (in the rear) and some new side mirrors.

http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o623/Iheartmiatas/DSC_0778_zps46f58dbf.jpg
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o623/Iheartmiatas/DSC_0779_zpseaf2d5ca.jpg
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o623/Iheartmiatas/DSC_0780_zps68ae502e.jpg

Needless to say, I got my money out of them. I can say that driving in the rain was fucking scary. I NEVER want to do something like this again. A buddy of mine sold me two Yokohama S drives for 100 bucks! What a deal! Now these are 205/55/15 and what I have is 205/50/15. Lets hope when I put 205/55/15 on the front that they don't rub!

YAY FOR GRIP!
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o623/Iheartmiatas/DSC_0769_zpsb6c8345a.jpg
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o623/Iheartmiatas/DSC_0784_zps0c4c19e9.jpg

Like I mentioned earlier, I had a leaky caliper. I decided to replace that, the rear brakes and rotors. This was my first time doing brakes and it was pretty easy!
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o623/Iheartmiatas/DSC_0782_zps0c429e29.jpg
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o623/Iheartmiatas/DSC_0783_zps3d9959f8.jpg

Funny story, after pulling out of my friends garage when we had just finished the brakes I went to adjust my mirror. The mirror made the executive decision to not be a working mirror anymore. The bolt on the mirror rusted through and snapped clean off. Awesome, right? I picked up some mirrors from Pepboys and like them for the most part. It was an easy fix for 20 bucks. Still thinking about getting something different but for now, these will do fine.
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o623/Iheartmiatas/DSC_0786_zps78d749f9.jpg

Blueiii
01-06-2013, 01:53 PM
Could you spray the mirrors black? Looks like the car was painted with the mirrors off of it, although it just be the photo angle. I still love this color, although I'd hate to see what happens if it ever gets scratched or chipped up at all.

I<3flippyheadlights
01-06-2013, 02:13 PM
The car was painted without the mirrors on, but the paint under the mirrors isn't that great. I'm thinking of painting these black actually.

Spinnywhoosh
02-19-2013, 03:10 PM
Flippy Flippy! Just wanted to let you know I whored you out a bit ;) http://www.reddit.com/r/Miata/comments/18tknl/just_ran_across_this_shot_from_last_year_has_to/

Phatmiata
02-19-2013, 03:44 PM
Where is the picture of the Hooters girl in your car Gavin?

Blueiii
02-19-2013, 05:11 PM
Dangit... I was hoping for updates! (Since I can't make any of my own, I simply live vicariously through Flippy!) <mumbles something about winter sucking>

I<3flippyheadlights
02-20-2013, 06:30 PM
Hey everyone, sorry I have been so lazy about my car. I'm actually meeting a friend tonight about some car part business. Also, I'll take pictures of all the parts I have been getting and some updates on the girlfriends car.

WASABI
02-20-2013, 07:09 PM
I'm actually meeting a friend tonight about some car part business...and some updates on the girlfriends car.

YOU have a GIRLFRIEND? But, you drive a Miata !?!

I<3flippyheadlights
02-20-2013, 11:57 PM
YOU have a GIRLFRIEND? But, you drive a Miata !?!

Crazy stuff, I know. She drives one too.

Phatmiata
02-21-2013, 12:09 AM
When is the photoshoot, the deadline is this weekend mang!!!

I<3flippyheadlights
02-22-2013, 12:24 AM
Alright, it has been some time and I have talked about my plans blah blah blah. Well I'll show you peeps what parts I have been collecting and some other asshatery I have been having.

Starting off, my ARP head studs
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o623/Iheartmiatas/My%20Green%20Miata%20and%20friends/DSC_0001_zps3d6c6578.jpg

Hell of a deal on them and can't wait to have a rebuilt head

Next is... window guides
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o623/Iheartmiatas/My%20Green%20Miata%20and%20friends/DSC_0011-1_zps91bcbb6b.jpg

Now why did I order these? My window decided to say, "Hey fuck you guy" and broke on me. I figure I would fix everything. My temporary solution?
A BIG ASS ZIP TIE OF COURSE!!!
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o623/Iheartmiatas/My%20Green%20Miata%20and%20friends/WP_000370_zps1430aa3f.jpg

Oh, I flushed my engine with ATF+Motorflush and made a smoke machine
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o623/Iheartmiatas/My%20Green%20Miata%20and%20friends/WP_000337_zpsb5be719f.jpg

It was so awesome pulling out of that parking spot

Anyway...
Obligatory broken motor mount picture
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o623/Iheartmiatas/My%20Green%20Miata%20and%20friends/WP_000340_zps739571d0.jpg

PEOPLE SUCK AT PARKING!
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o623/Iheartmiatas/My%20Green%20Miata%20and%20friends/WP_000348_zpsa9c57a05.jpg

Safety at its finest
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o623/Iheartmiatas/My%20Green%20Miata%20and%20friends/WP_000367_zps0c2a015a.jpg
Fuck safety, i decided to roll hard
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o623/Iheartmiatas/My%20Green%20Miata%20and%20friends/WP_000368_zpsb6683f87.jpg

OMG A PUPPY
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o623/Iheartmiatas/My%20Green%20Miata%20and%20friends/WP_000426_zps381200a3.jpg

Did a oil change and noticed my undertray was wet. Open it up and found this...
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o623/Iheartmiatas/My%20Green%20Miata%20and%20friends/WP_000398_zpscf3494e8.jpg
I have no idea where this oil can be oming from. if anyone can give opinions that would be fantastic. Thanks broskis

Moving on to more important things. This is a Midget with a 12A
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o623/Iheartmiatas/My%20Green%20Miata%20and%20friends/WP_000365_zps9d3997cf.jpg

Anyway, back to the important stuff. CAR PARTS!?!?!?!?!
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o623/Iheartmiatas/My%20Green%20Miata%20and%20friends/DSC_0009-1_zpsb1b43370.jpg
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o623/Iheartmiatas/My%20Green%20Miata%20and%20friends/DSC_0017_zps800a671e.jpg

What could this be?
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o623/Iheartmiatas/My%20Green%20Miata%20and%20friends/DSC_0018_zps9f12ad54.jpg

Lets look... OH SHNAP!!!!!?!?!?!
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o623/Iheartmiatas/My%20Green%20Miata%20and%20friends/DSC_0020-1_zpseefd0ff6.jpg

Whats all this for you may ask? Well you see.

SUPACHARGA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o623/Iheartmiatas/My%20Green%20Miata%20and%20friends/DSC_0003-1_zps760432ca.jpg

I know, its a big mess of stuff. It was a steal and with some love it will be awesome.
I have a wideband I'm buying, a new head, all maintenance stuff, etc. Also looking at new seats, lights and mirrors. ALL THE MONEY SHALL BE SPENT...

Now on to random pictures
A HOTDOG
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o623/Iheartmiatas/My%20Green%20Miata%20and%20friends/WP_000405_zps933b4295.jpg
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o623/Iheartmiatas/cars/WP_000324_zps2a988c1f.jpg
Bad picture, but my phone couldn't handle this DONK
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o623/Iheartmiatas/cars/WP_000304_zps9d6b3992.jpg

Side of rice? Yes please
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o623/Iheartmiatas/cars/WP_000246_zps067cb972.jpg

And to finish it off are pictures of my cat pico. He loves to sleep.
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o623/Iheartmiatas/Cats%20cats%20cats/WP_000276_zpsbe70a1dc.jpg
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o623/Iheartmiatas/Cats%20cats%20cats/WP_000272_zpsd84f5368.jpg
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o623/Iheartmiatas/Cats%20cats%20cats/WP_000264_zpsa667eee9.jpg
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o623/Iheartmiatas/Cats%20cats%20cats/WP_000263_zps66d0a8db.jpg

Thats it for now.. I think... more updates when I get more parts

<3

Martin
04-02-2013, 10:12 AM
I just noticed that we appear to have the same side mirror :)

http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread.php?3089-My-Italia-s-story&p=80568&viewfull=1#post80568

I<3flippyheadlights
04-02-2013, 10:13 AM
I picked it up a while ago. Personally, I think they suck. But they do the job for the cheap.

I have updates today :D
when i find time to upload pictures.....

Martin
04-02-2013, 10:15 AM
Cheap/chrome/cheap/functional/cheap is what I was after

I<3flippyheadlights
04-02-2013, 11:01 AM
Alright, lets do some updates. Not much of an update, but an update.

A while back my window regulator broke. Literally, broke when I went to roll down my window. had to leave my window down over night which sucked and the next morning I ziptied my window up. For about a month I rolled around with a hardtop, no AC and a drivers side window permanently up in Florida... yup. Well my girlfriend had an extra door when she bought her car with a manual window! Boom! Free window regulator!

I had no idea how to take out a regulator so I fought with the door for a good hour. Then I decided to look it up. It was easy. Go figure.

I decided while I was in there replacing a regulator I should replace my window guides. My windows don't roll up and don't straight but I didn't really care. I figure I would give the Teflon window guides a shot.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8099/8612908559_d701105263.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/79355344@N03/8612908559/)
DSC_0066 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/79355344@N03/8612908559/) by I&lt;3flippyheadlights (http://www.flickr.com/people/79355344@N03/), on Flickr

How awesome is this door? :D

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8537/8612908525_e31a22c1e9.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/79355344@N03/8612908525/)
DSC_0070 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/79355344@N03/8612908525/) by I&lt;3flippyheadlights (http://www.flickr.com/people/79355344@N03/), on Flickr

Classy door is classy. Can you guess the new part?

Zipties on zipties on zipties on zipties
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8109/8614016950_15539dbaa9.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/79355344@N03/8614016950/)
DSC_0071 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/79355344@N03/8614016950/) by I&lt;3flippyheadlights (http://www.flickr.com/people/79355344@N03/), on Flickr

The windows came out easy enough (after learning on my girlfriends door). Took about 15 minutes and I found this.
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8254/8612908489_fff2176393.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/79355344@N03/8612908489/)
DSC_0072 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/79355344@N03/8612908489/) by I&lt;3flippyheadlights (http://www.flickr.com/people/79355344@N03/), on Flickr

What window guide? My windows rattle so much that people freak out in my car.
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8118/8612908395_72d798bd44.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/79355344@N03/8612908395/)
DSC_0073 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/79355344@N03/8612908395/) by I&lt;3flippyheadlights (http://www.flickr.com/people/79355344@N03/), on Flickr

Well I stopped taking pictures when I started fighting the regulator. I could not, for the life of me, get the new one connected. I was getting pissed. I had to work at 2 and it was already 11 o' clock. What happens when you are mad and working on a car?

This
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8525/8614016692_bd9f60b080.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/79355344@N03/8614016692/)
DSC_0074 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/79355344@N03/8614016692/) by I&lt;3flippyheadlights (http://www.flickr.com/people/79355344@N03/), on Flickr

Then this
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8396/8614015270_f48b9cc228.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/79355344@N03/8614015270/)
17302_638254516191197_1698245005_n (http://www.flickr.com/photos/79355344@N03/8614015270/) by I&lt;3flippyheadlights (http://www.flickr.com/people/79355344@N03/), on Flickr

In my fury and rage I decided to just put it all together and make it nice. I have no pictures after putting in the new window guides but they are SO NICE. My car doesn't make the scary rattles anymore and the window on the passenger side works great!

I decided to take some pictures of my car to give you an idea where I'm at with it. Have you guessed the new part?
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8395/8614016704_6fba513c57.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/79355344@N03/8614016704/)
DSC_0076 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/79355344@N03/8614016704/) by I&lt;3flippyheadlights (http://www.flickr.com/people/79355344@N03/), on Flickr

NA6CE 4 LYFE
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8253/8614016572_78e6bd430f.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/79355344@N03/8614016572/)
DSC_0077 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/79355344@N03/8614016572/) by I&lt;3flippyheadlights (http://www.flickr.com/people/79355344@N03/), on Flickr

Can I be a part of the retro cool club now?
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8106/8612907907_97b823a9ce.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/79355344@N03/8612907907/)
DSC_0079 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/79355344@N03/8612907907/) by I&lt;3flippyheadlights (http://www.flickr.com/people/79355344@N03/), on Flickr

Ok, I can't figure out how to take a good picture of these. But I tried. MY NEW (to me, thank you Arvin I love you) PORSCHE 914 SEATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8244/8614016514_99b945739f.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/79355344@N03/8614016514/)
DSC_0082 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/79355344@N03/8614016514/) by I&lt;3flippyheadlights (http://www.flickr.com/people/79355344@N03/), on Flickr

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8540/8614016404_13890cd1c5.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/79355344@N03/8614016404/)
DSC_0085 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/79355344@N03/8614016404/) by I&lt;3flippyheadlights (http://www.flickr.com/people/79355344@N03/), on Flickr

They are so sexy. Very tight and sexy.
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8539/8614016332_2d127ee66a.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/79355344@N03/8614016332/)
DSC_0087 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/79355344@N03/8614016332/) by I&lt;3flippyheadlights (http://www.flickr.com/people/79355344@N03/), on Flickr

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8541/8612907889_0a0896c445.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/79355344@N03/8612907889/)
DSC_0092 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/79355344@N03/8612907889/) by I&lt;3flippyheadlights (http://www.flickr.com/people/79355344@N03/), on Flickr

Retro gurus please let me in the club!
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8239/8612907785_128512be58.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/79355344@N03/8612907785/)
DSC_0095 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/79355344@N03/8612907785/) by I&lt;3flippyheadlights (http://www.flickr.com/people/79355344@N03/), on Flickr

Well thats that.

I<3flippyheadlights
04-02-2013, 11:04 AM
I also had a photoshoot with some friends. He finally posted some of the pictures and here they are.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8265/8612916175_d540b94e7b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/79355344@N03/8612916175/)
miatagaytime-001 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/79355344@N03/8612916175/) by I&lt;3flippyheadlights (http://www.flickr.com/people/79355344@N03/), on Flickr

Love this shot
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8383/8614024536_57d6072776.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/79355344@N03/8614024536/)
miatagaytime-003 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/79355344@N03/8614024536/) by I&lt;3flippyheadlights (http://www.flickr.com/people/79355344@N03/), on Flickr

The race car
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8532/8612916135_90da28a076.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/79355344@N03/8612916135/)
miatagaytime-004 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/79355344@N03/8612916135/) by I&lt;3flippyheadlights (http://www.flickr.com/people/79355344@N03/), on Flickr

We are so cute :3
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8109/8614024466_a153f5e8ff.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/79355344@N03/8614024466/)
miatagaytime-005 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/79355344@N03/8614024466/) by I&lt;3flippyheadlights (http://www.flickr.com/people/79355344@N03/), on Flickr

Ballin out of control in our girly, hairdresser, gay, racecar, roadster cars.
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8533/8612916095_b61de6de8a.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/79355344@N03/8612916095/)
miatagaytime-006 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/79355344@N03/8612916095/) by I&lt;3flippyheadlights (http://www.flickr.com/people/79355344@N03/), on Flickr

I hope everyone has enjoyed my update. I know I don't do the craziest things but there it is. Hope to have my supercharger in soon. (Just did my TB/WP with all the seals. Its getting closer!) Also have the low pros to put in.

afc2112
04-02-2013, 04:55 PM
You need a wide angle to shoot the entire interior...Or just take off your hardtop. :P

morr
04-02-2013, 05:17 PM
Love the Porsche seats! They'd look even more badass retrimmed in leather or suede.

ZQQMIN
04-02-2013, 06:06 PM
Ballin out of control in our girly, hairdresser, gay, racecar, roadster cars.

miatagaytime-006 by I&lt;3flippyheadlights, on Flickr toooo funny!

I<3flippyheadlights
04-02-2013, 09:48 PM
Take off my hardtop? Waaaah.

Thanks for the compliments everyone. Its getting there! (but it will never truly be there)

Lesac
04-02-2013, 10:55 PM
car looks great, how do the porsche seats sit height wise in comparison to the stock ones?

I<3flippyheadlights
04-02-2013, 11:38 PM
They are lower than before, but they don't slide back as far as the stock ones because they have a thicker back.

artcentermiata
04-03-2013, 12:54 AM
Those seats! Fffffffff!

94R
04-03-2013, 01:55 AM
That's it! I'm finding me some 914 seats for my car!

afc2112
04-03-2013, 07:07 AM

I must correct Gavin a bit. These are 914/6 GT seats made by Scheel and Koenig. They are rare and expensive (~1k or so), I just got lucky with these.

94R
04-03-2013, 03:24 PM
I sorta figured that. I got on eBay immediately after seeing the pictures last night, and typed in 914 seats, and some ugly bench looking things, and seats w/ little bolstering came up. :(

I<3flippyheadlights
04-03-2013, 03:50 PM
I must correct Gavin a bit. These are 914/6 GT seats made by Scheel and Koenig. They are rare and expensive (~1k or so), I just got lucky with these.

Thanks for chiming in Arvin. I'll remember that forever.

I<3flippyheadlights
04-03-2013, 04:07 PM
Those seats! Fffffffff!

I don't know how to multi quote! But I don't care!

Thank you for the compliment!

I<3flippyheadlights
04-03-2013, 04:08 PM

:D

theothersawyer
04-04-2013, 12:00 AM
I <3 this car!!!

afc2112
04-21-2013, 10:29 PM
Just drove this car yesterday...Love this car.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8255/8666390128_0f0bb19dff_b.jpg

I<3flippyheadlights
04-21-2013, 11:05 PM
You didn't get to drive it far! But thank you for the compliment, Arvin <3

I guess this will be the photo I use for MotM

treeafodo
04-21-2013, 11:06 PM
I love that last picture. You're making good progress.

afc2112
04-21-2013, 11:18 PM
You didn't get to drive it far! But thank you for the compliment, Arvin <3

I felt right at home considering you have most of my old parts. It's basically what I would want if I were still modding my NA.

Let's do a fun run and we'll swap cars halfway...

I love that last picture. You're making good progress.

I've watched this build from the very beginning. It's come a long, long way from the first time I saw it at a meet.

And thanks for the compliments on the photo! :)

Blueiii
04-22-2013, 05:42 AM
I guess this will be the photo I use for MotM

Nooooooo! Its too nice of a photo!!! I'll never win with my jackstand miata and sawzalled up shocks now!!!

I<3flippyheadlights
04-22-2013, 06:12 AM
Thanks everybody for the compliments, it means a lot. It still needs an incredible amount of work, though. Something always seems to be breaking :P

I felt right at home considering you have most of my old parts. It's basically what I would want if I were still modding my NA.

Let's do a fun run and we'll swap cars halfway...

YOU CRAZY!? I CAN'T HANDLE YOUR CAR IN A FUN RUN! I'LL DIE!

But in all seriousness,you have played a huge role in this car becoming great. Now it just needs that supercharger >.>

I<3flippyheadlights
04-23-2013, 09:37 AM
I guess I should update the thread.

My third year in school is coming to an end and I'm realizing I'll soon be an adult. The next year of my life will probably be my hardest. I am taking more classes than ever, I am apart of a honors society, I have an internship, work, girlfriend, friends and car. My goal is to do everything I can over the summer so I can be happy ignoring my car for a bit. I also want to finish it before I have to move out of my home while I still have income to piss away. :whistle:

I have been toying around with the idea of a beater car because I hate driving Amy all the time. Seriously, this girl has packed on a lot of miles in my care. I don't mind but there are times when she shows her age. (Like last night when I fired her up and she died shortly after. Old car does old car things but she was fine after a lil warm up)

I fixed the AC and by God it is glorious. I have never had a car with AC before, in Florida it's crazy talk, but I never felt the need. Well, I visited my grandma who lives about a hour away. At this time only one window works in my car and no AC. When my girlfriend and I showed up we were sweating like crazy. (my girlfriend wanted to kill me) My Grandma went into the kitchen with me, handed me money and said, "don't look, take this and fix your car." Grandma ended giving me $300 bucks! WOOT!

Got my AC fixed for $140 bucks which means I had $160 bucks to play with :twisted:

I picked up a trackdog header blanket, smaller nose pulley for the supercharger, a jackson racing boost gauge, an assortment of other gauges, and a second throttle body. SCORE!

Gonna try and weld in my Wideband this week, clutch replacement is this Saturday and then the supercharger goes in. :D

Now if you have kept up you know that I fixed my AC before I fixed my window and I'm boosting my daily driver that now has... 173k miles. Yup, just another day.

Since you went and read all that, here is another picture that AFC took. <3
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8113/8674461509_0d72e84b4a.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/79355344@N03/8674461509/)
DSC_6092 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/79355344@N03/8674461509/) by I&lt;3flippyheadlights (http://www.flickr.com/people/79355344@N03/), on Flickr

tsingson
04-23-2013, 09:45 AM
I still love this color! We don't grow up man. We just slowly become more mature.

I<3flippyheadlights
04-23-2013, 10:14 AM
I mean more adult as in, I have to get out of the house, buy my own place, think where I'm going with my girlfriend and... be a teacher... Yes, the state of Florida is going to trust their students in my hands.

I<3flippyheadlights
04-25-2013, 01:45 PM
Yay for more updates! It seems this is a good month for my car. Lets start off with a realization I had recently.

My car's name is Amy. My best friend named his 2004 Honda Accord Amy. It's really annoying when everyone asks us, "why do your cars have the same name?" Well recently I have been thinking on the name. Amy was perfect when she was red, fiery, unpredictable and unrefined. To me, an Amy is a girl that is very fierce. That's how I see it at least. Lately, I have been calling my car... my car. The name Amy has lost its appeal. The car is refined, classy, and sleek. I simply can't change her name, that would be rude.

Instead, its as if she is telling me her full name now. For example, in high school you meet a Liz. When you meet again in college she goes by Elizabeth. The same thing has happened with my car. No longer does she go by Amy. Now, she goes by Amelia. I feel like it's perfect for her. She still has the gumption of Amy, but the beauty of Amelia. Well, enough about my love for my car. Lets see updates!

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8262/8680108570_641496d7e4_c.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/79355344@N03/8680108570/)
DSC_0215 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/79355344@N03/8680108570/) by I&lt;3flippyheadlights (http://www.flickr.com/people/79355344@N03/), on Flickr

She is thinking, "Uh, what are you doing? I need that part."
I tell her it's ok and I'm making things better.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8400/8680108304_26459fc1c1_c.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/79355344@N03/8680108304/)
DSC_0216 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/79355344@N03/8680108304/) by I&lt;3flippyheadlights (http://www.flickr.com/people/79355344@N03/), on Flickr
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8119/8680108032_28f127ae0b_c.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/79355344@N03/8680108032/)
DSC_0218 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/79355344@N03/8680108032/) by I&lt;3flippyheadlights (http://www.flickr.com/people/79355344@N03/), on Flickr
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8544/8680107716_6be9ecccd2_c.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/79355344@N03/8680107716/)
DSC_0219 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/79355344@N03/8680107716/) by I&lt;3flippyheadlights (http://www.flickr.com/people/79355344@N03/), on Flickr

This is my header. i tried to wrap it a while ago and as you can see, I failed. I didn't soak it in water first so it has been slowly crumbling apart. I have been planning to take it off when I get a bung welded in for the wide band. Today was the big day.

A quick review on header wrap. When I first did it, it was awesome. I think it looked great, I could touch my headers after driving (crazy), and it kept things cool. Till it started to crumble off. After that it was pulling wrap from underneath my car. Not cool. On runners 3 and 4, the stuff was coming right off. 1 and 2 held up well and I needed a knife to get it off. I was happy about that. Bad thing about header wrap, it causes rust/discoloration/bad things. Overall, good stuff.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8380/8678996911_9d19539225_c.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/79355344@N03/8678996911/)
DSC_0220 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/79355344@N03/8678996911/) by I&lt;3flippyheadlights (http://www.flickr.com/people/79355344@N03/), on Flickr

Much better

japanland shits tyte YO!
JASMA headhttp://farm9.staticflickr.com/8383/8680107172_d84c510e2c_c.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/79355344@N03/8680107172/)
DSC_0223 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/79355344@N03/8680107172/) by I&lt;3flippyheadlights (http://www.flickr.com/people/79355344@N03/), on Flickrer.

Is this thing toast?
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8117/8678996337_11247b5079_c.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/79355344@N03/8678996337/)
DSC_0225 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/79355344@N03/8678996337/) by I&lt;3flippyheadlights (http://www.flickr.com/people/79355344@N03/), on Flickr

While waiting for my Dad to get home so I could transport my header I decided to fix my mirrors. One broke not too long ago and I bought a pepboys vintage mirror thing. I hate that mirror. They are garbage. I found out you can take apart a side mirror. I got my big knife out and got on it. This was the result

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8539/8678996097_136365474d_c.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/79355344@N03/8678996097/)
DSC_0226 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/79355344@N03/8678996097/) by I&lt;3flippyheadlights (http://www.flickr.com/people/79355344@N03/), on Flickr

This is the culprit
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8385/8680106446_80c8db91b7_c.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/79355344@N03/8680106446/)
DSC_0227 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/79355344@N03/8680106446/) by I&lt;3flippyheadlights (http://www.flickr.com/people/79355344@N03/), on Flickr

Back together again!
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8116/8680106198_94254c6db4_c.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/79355344@N03/8680106198/)
DSC_0228 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/79355344@N03/8680106198/) by I&lt;3flippyheadlights (http://www.flickr.com/people/79355344@N03/), on Flickr

Hate this POS mirror
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8266/8678995313_bb982aa992_c.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/79355344@N03/8678995313/)
DSC_0229 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/79355344@N03/8678995313/) by I&lt;3flippyheadlights (http://www.flickr.com/people/79355344@N03/), on Flickr

Feels good, man.
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8118/8678994937_e094066b9c_c.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/79355344@N03/8678994937/)
DSC_0230 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/79355344@N03/8678994937/) by I&lt;3flippyheadlights (http://www.flickr.com/people/79355344@N03/), on Flickr

I got the header to the shop, got the bung in, came home and put it all together. Now, you may be wondering, "what is he gonna do with the heat from that header?" Well, my captivated audience, I bought myself a TDR heat blanket.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8387/8681695806_bec4325c50.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/79355344@N03/8681695806/)
header blanket (http://www.flickr.com/photos/79355344@N03/8681695806/) by I&lt;3flippyheadlights (http://www.flickr.com/people/79355344@N03/), on Flickr

And I want to say, what a Mother Fucker (pardon the language) to get on. Now, I do have a heater core bypass and I can understand that messing up the fitment. But Jesus Christ this thing was tough! The brackets don't reach far enough at all. When I was forcing the hole on the blanket to reach the bracket I tore it a few times. Now, the tears came from simply bending/manipulating it. I was very disappointed to see that. The hole in the blanket is tapped so you have to put the bolt in and screw it. You also have to screw it to the bracket. Can you picture my level of frustration trying to guess where the hole was on my engine because it was a tapped hole!? ARGH! I finally get the screw on the right and the one on the left was FUBAR. Couldn't reach at all. Hence why they give you stainless steel wire. I tied it on and called it a day. I turn on the car and its smoking. (expected that) and found out the thing sits on the actual header. Don't know if that is good or not but oh well. The drive is what counts, right? Well, I went for that drive. The reviews online say shit like, "The hood was cold" or "the intake box wasn't hot" and "my strut bar wasn't on fire". BULLSHIT! My hood was hot, my intake was hot, blanket was really fucking hot. I'll have to drive on a hotter day and see if I get heat soak, but this far I'm not impressed.

TL;DR I put on a TDR heat blanket and I'm no impressed thus far.

Anyway, that is the end of that update. Replacing the clutch saturday and then focusing on the supercharger. YAY!

TL;DR;YOLOSWAG
Car now goes by Amelia, not Amy. I took off my header wrap, got a bung welded in for wideband, put on a TDR heat blanket and wasn't impressed. Thanks for reading! :teehee:

tsingson
04-25-2013, 01:55 PM
Wow. Sucks about the header blanket.

On a different note (and I am joking when I say this) with the hood open, it looks like a watermelon sliced up.

I<3flippyheadlights
04-25-2013, 02:03 PM
You actually read all that? Impressive.

ya, the header blanket is meh. Got it for a deal and didn't want to do another header wrap so I'll deal.

The red haunts me constantly. I do my best to hide it, but it just doesn't work.

tsingson
04-25-2013, 02:27 PM
Try hitting it up with black paint. I had a friend that had a green 200sx SE-R and he had it painted dark gray. He was hitting up the trunk and engine bay with black paint and it turned out alright.

I<3flippyheadlights
04-25-2013, 02:30 PM
Try hitting it up with black paint. I had a friend that had a green 200sx SE-R and he had it painted dark gray. He was hitting up the trunk and engine bay with black paint and it turned out alright.

That's a lot of work for little return. Honestly, i give no fucks about my engine bay or trunk. if people see it, they see it. No biggie. I painted my door jams because that is different.

My engine is nothing pretty. Nor will it be pretty with the Supercharger.

tsingson
04-25-2013, 02:44 PM
Just a suggestion.

I<3flippyheadlights
04-25-2013, 02:50 PM
Just a suggestion.

I know, and I appreciate it. Sometimes I think that I should have painted it red. :x

RoadsterTech
04-29-2013, 09:59 AM
Thought I would throw this in from last Weekend...
Yes flippy actually works under his car! FTW

http://rabrillhart.smugmug.com/Other/miata/i-ndpCc9M/0/M/CA_04281305384142-M.jpg

tsingson
04-29-2013, 10:01 AM
Gavin, you actually have to leave your legs exposed to tan those pale legs....

I<3flippyheadlights
04-29-2013, 10:10 AM
Gavin, you actually have to leave your legs exposed to tan those pale legs....

Funny story.
I was replacing my clutch last weekend (worst thing ever) and my legs were ON FIRE. I was so busy that no one would man up and put some sun block on my legs. I didn't see what the big problem. Its just a bunch of dudes, working on cars, rubbing each other with sunblock and having a good time. Geez.

furrycurry33
04-29-2013, 10:13 AM
"Its not gay unless you make it that way"

I<3flippyheadlights
04-29-2013, 10:14 AM
"Its not gay unless you make it that way"

:fab:

tsingson
04-29-2013, 10:17 AM
Nothing gay about that at all.:roll:

It does look funny with the towels though.

RoadsterTech
04-29-2013, 10:23 AM
Nothing gay about that at all.:roll:

It does look funny with the towels though.

I was going to say something but I just can't

tsingson
04-29-2013, 10:26 AM
Chaps and underwear. That is one heck of a tech day.

I<3flippyheadlights
04-29-2013, 10:32 AM
Chaps and underwear. That is one heck of a tech day.

There were too many jokes to remember.

tsingson
04-29-2013, 10:43 AM
Steven came by to help with the 01 manifold on my NB and I had my Ipod playing on random and Britney Spears was playing. Miata tech days. Gotta love them. :teehee: :fab:

I<3flippyheadlights
04-29-2013, 10:50 AM
Steven came by to help with the 01 manifold on my NB and I had my Ipod playing on random and Britney Spears was playing. Miata tech days. Gotta love them. :teehee: :fab:

They are the best

RoadsterTech
04-29-2013, 10:54 AM
The best part though was Ron just about ripping the motor mounts off trying to pull off the Transmission when someone left a starter bolt in.
I pretty sure I saw the car raise up off of its jack stands.
BTW Ron was our human impact wrench.... when the real impact wrench couldn't budge the bolts on the bell housing Ron broke them free with a 24" breaker bar.
Helps to have muscle when you need it...

tsingson
04-29-2013, 10:58 AM
That's the way to do it.

I<3flippyheadlights
04-29-2013, 11:01 AM
Helps to have muscle when you need it...

Because my twiggy arms weren't doing it! I'm glad I was able to break the majority of those bolts but, damn! Some were really tough

RoadsterTech
04-29-2013, 11:45 AM
I think man mountain mike did your last clutch job

I<3flippyheadlights
04-29-2013, 11:53 AM
I think man mountain mike did your last clutch job

The guy who eats trees? Ya, probably

RoadsterTech
04-30-2013, 09:56 AM
The guy who eats trees? Ya, probably

Man Mountain Mike was a Pro Wrestler way back before you were born (I guess)
Weighed about 600 lbs and could probably bench press a Miata.

I forget some phrases are no longer valid...
I Mentioned June Cleaver at the Meet last night and a few of the young guys did not know that as well.

I<3flippyheadlights
04-30-2013, 10:31 AM
you're old.

:teehee:

RoadsterTech
04-30-2013, 10:57 AM
So is your car

I<3flippyheadlights
04-30-2013, 11:29 AM
So is yours!