PDA

View Full Version : First ND Miata totaled !!

Corifto
07-21-2015, 02:09 PM
First 2016 Mazda MX-5 Miata Already Wrecked

http://i.imgur.com/53DXB7j.jpg

Well this is a sad way to start a Monday, but the first 2016 Mazda Miata has already been crashed, and may well be totaled. As one of the Soul Red Launch Edition roadsters, this car is only one of 1000 to exist, and the new owner had barely made it more than a few miles from the dealer before the accident. Sadly it seems that a driver under the influence of some illegal substances driving an F-150 crashed into the rear of the Miata with no braking applied. That then flung the Miata into a car farther ahead.

http://i.imgur.com/BDS6oT5.jpg

The good news is that the new owner and his wife both walked away from the incident. They are a little worse for wear with some bruising and soreness, but as of this writing, there have been no confirmed major injuries. The jury is still out on whether the car will be a total loss or not, but we will be sure to update you guys later with the rest of the information as we can get it. As you can see from the photos, the damage to the front doesn’t look terrible, but the owner is reporting that the door gaps were altered and flex, indicating there is likely damage to the unibody. If that is the case, I see very little way to repair it for a reasonable cost.

http://i.imgur.com/uOu6hPv.jpg

The rest of this story is currently in the hands of the insurance company. Check back later to find out what happens.

source: http://www.autotalk.com/first-2016-mazda-mx-5-miata-already-wrecked-27284/

Phatmiata
07-21-2015, 02:31 PM
Tom Bush Mazda is where I bought my first Miata !!!

Sucks these two got rear ended, but drunk/stoned drivers are everywhere, not just Florida

BTW ...............

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/400x/58399123.jpg

Hammerhead
07-21-2015, 02:32 PM
Oh, no!!!!!!

TNRooster3
07-21-2015, 02:32 PM
:cry:They didn't even get home with it before a drunk stupid jerk drove right into them? Man this sucks.:cry:

Agent☣Orange
07-21-2015, 02:40 PM
Well thats just great.

Glad the couple is alright. I don't really care about the other dude. Hopefully he's off the road for good but I doubt it.

I wouldn't want this ND back even if they repair it fine. They're owed another brand new one.

JamieH
07-21-2015, 02:47 PM
The words, "I'm sorry, Florida is..." are never followed by anything good.

kung fu jesus
07-21-2015, 02:54 PM
The first ND Spec Miata candidate hits the open market!

Phatmiata
07-21-2015, 03:09 PM
that car is in North Florida, most likely if it does get totaled then it will end up at MazMart in GA to be parted out

kung fu jesus
07-21-2015, 03:23 PM
Those pleated poly blend pants lend a definite IDGAF, joie de vivre to the moment.

Hammerhead
07-21-2015, 04:31 PM
Here's the thing...even if the insurance company decided it was fixable, are the parts available? Typically, when a new model car is introduced, parts are already available (if at least by drop-shipping) to support any service needs of customers. However, considering Mazda's NOT-deep pockets, I wonder how long a wait it would be to R&R this car? It would have to go to a MAZDA dealer for repair, as no one else would be "qualified" to repair this new chassis type.

It makes me wonder how it could go....

Pfunk
07-21-2015, 05:17 PM
BTW ...............

I have that on a t-shirt from Blipshift!

etikoner
07-21-2015, 05:51 PM
Wonder if this will cause ND insurance rates to go up.

wannafbody
07-21-2015, 07:44 PM
I hope they have new car replacement insurance. That would suck to depreciate a couple miles down the road.

Corifto
07-21-2015, 07:46 PM
"With new car replacement, if your new car is totalled, we'll replace it with a model year newer version."

"Uhhh so do we have to wait til next year?"

Stealth97
07-22-2015, 03:11 PM
Exocet donor?

Even if left as-is... Still looks better than an NC:lol:

kung fu jesus
07-22-2015, 03:23 PM
I hope they have new car replacement insurance. That would suck to depreciate a couple miles down the road.

"With new car replacement, if your new car is totalled, we'll replace it with a model year newer version."

"Uhhh so do we have to wait til next year?"

I would think they will be waiting a while, either way. If it is repaired, the parts and knowledge may not be out there yet, or only available to dealerships. Replacing the car, too, as the first shipment is spoken for. Bummer, indeed.

Corifto
07-22-2015, 05:45 PM
Update

http://imgur.com/aKy4J6E.jpeg

kung fu jesus
07-22-2015, 05:52 PM
That is really awesome all around. Good PR.

Martin
07-23-2015, 10:19 AM
Sorry, I'm kinda slow - did Mazda have to make a new launch edition?

Corifto
07-24-2015, 03:59 AM
7/23/15 3:10pm
Mazda Gives New Miata To Unlucky Owner Of The First Wrecked 2016 Miata

Interested in feeling a little better about the state of humanity in general? If so, put down those pills and booze and listen to this. Earlier this week, the very first, brand-new 2016 Mazda Miata met its end, by being rear-ended by an F-150 less than a mile from the dealer. Gutting, right? Well, incredibly, Mazda is going to make things right.

Things started on Monday, when the Miata’s buyer (who goes by SCSM on the MX-5 Miata Forum) and his wife went to pick up their new, unashamedly red (Soul Red, according to Mazda) Launch Edition Miata, which is one of a series of only 1000. Barely a mile or so away from the dealership, a Ford F-150, slammed into the rear of the Miata without even taking the courtesy to brake.

The force of the impact shoved the Miata into the car in front of it, basing in both ends and seemingly bending the unibody itself — which means the damage is likely much worse than it looks. Happily, neither the owner nor his wife were seriously injured. They weren’t entirely uninjured, as there was bruising and other sorts of injuries you’d expect from having an F-150 slam into your ass.

Everything seemed to be sliding into that grim miasma of insurance negotiations and all that other associated misery that comes after a car wreck, but this poor guy didn’t even get to enjoy the car beforehand. Well, it seemed that way until about two days ago, when the owner posted this on the forum:

What a whirlwind these last 3 days have been for my wife and me! Our new LE was finally here and ready for pick up on Saturday, the 18th! Was trying to beat Mark out west and the time zones were working our favor, but I believe he got his a bit earlier. But we were right up there as one of the early owners in starting our new adventure with the ND.

Then, at around 4:00 PM or so, BAM. BAM, and our beautiful new LE was no more. We were shaken, Joanne took a ride with the EMT’s to the hospital and I was left dazed, amazed, stressed, and what ever emotion one could experience. I also quickly realized that we were both still alive and functioning, thank you up there!!!

Sunday was depressing indeed, I went to the Care Spot facility to be checked out, and we were preparing for the worst of a long, contentious battle to get things right again, and minimize any additional hassles. Glad Sunday was over....

On Monday I spoke with my dealer, Tom Bush Mazda, and they were hopeful that things could be made right if a few things came together. By late yesterday, they had!!!

Then, yesterday afternoon, I received 2 calls from MNAO informing me that my name was on a replacement LE 6MT that is in transit and will dock in Jacksonville around August 15. on to Tom Bush soon after that.

Yep, Mazda is stepping up and sending them a replacement, brand-new Miata. It’s worth noting that Mazda was really in no way obligated to do this — the whole mess was clearly the owner’s and insurance companies’ problem at this point — but that they did it anyway speaks volumes, and I suspect the good PR they get will easily be worth the value of the car.

http://i.imgur.com/MlWS1zA.jpg

It looks like they’re also taking the wrecked Miata back, as well — I wonder if there’s value to be had by inspecting the car, as it’s likely the first real-world example of crash damage to a production MX-5, and there’s likely something interesting to be learned there.

Either that or it’ll show up on CarMax or Craigslist in a couple weeks.

We love to point out when car makers do terrible things, so I suppose it’s only fair to make a big deal out of it when they do something good as well. So, great job, Mazda! Thanks for doing the decent and kind thing when you didn’t have to. That’s important, and people will remember.

Source: http://jalopnik.com/mazda-gives-new-miata-to-unlucky-owner-of-the-first-wre-1719795974?rev=1437678736015

mazdarati1
07-24-2015, 04:53 AM
:fp: I'm sure everyone has heard this but it may bear repeating, if your unlucky enough to be in a rear end collision, but you see one is eminent, STAND on the brake pedal. It will transfer the force to the offending vehicle. Probably still mess up your car, but perhaps not as much.